How much metal is too much?

6 replies to this topic
  • BASSic

Posted April 07, 2008 - 06:44 AM

I have heard that after replacing the clutch on a 400/426/450 that it's normal to see some metal shavings in the filter.

I recently replaced the clutch on my 426 and after about 5 hours of riding, there's a lot of metal on the filter! How much is too much? Hopefully there won't be as much (if any) after my next ride.

Time for a Scotts Stainless filter... also, is a magnetic drain plug really worth using?

• Dano426

Posted April 07, 2008 - 06:59 AM

After replacing your clutch you will get metal shavings in your filter, there is no way around that. I had to change my oil two times (after 3 hours each time) before there was no metal in the filter.

The magnetic oil plug helps keep an eye on what is inside the oil. If you start to see anything on it and have not made any motor mods, its time to take a look at inside the case

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2008 - 07:43 AM

How much is difficult to quantify. A lot more than normal when nothing has been done to the engine is something to worry over. You should see mostly aluminum now, and see it taper off soon.

Transmissions ALWAYS shed iron into the oil. Magnetic crankcase plugs will intercept some of it, and here again, the presence of a very fine black paste on the magnet is normal. Lots of big chunks is not, and any sudden increase in quantity or character indicates trouble.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BASSic

Posted April 07, 2008 - 11:02 AM

You should see mostly aluminum now, and see it taper off soon.

Where is this aluminum coming from, after a clutch change? The only new parts that wear are the friction plates and the clutch plates, which I thought were steel.

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2008 - 11:30 AM

Where is this aluminum coming from, after a clutch change? The only new parts that wear are the friction plates and the clutch plates, which I thought were steel.

The base plates on which the friction linings are bonded are aluminum in many, if not most, cases. Furthermore, the new plates have sharper edges that the old, worn ones, and that wears the basket and boss at an accelerated rate until they wear in a little.

• angrybob

Posted April 07, 2008 - 11:53 AM

How much is difficult to quantify. A lot more than normal when nothing has been done to the engine is something to worry over. You should see mostly aluminum now, and see it taper off soon.

Transmissions ALWAYS shed iron into the oil. Magnetic crankcase plugs will intercept some of it, and here again, the presence of a very fine black paste on the magnet is normal. Lots of big chunks is not, and any sudden increase in quantity or character indicates trouble.

Thank you for this little piece of info. I gave my first oil change this weekend and the magnetic plug had a fair amount of this 'goo'. I had no idea what this stuff was and thought it was a little worrisome.

• yamihoo2

Posted June 06, 2008 - 07:49 AM

this seems like a good deal on a magnet plug $11.95
http://www.denniskir...&mmyId=#fitment

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.