Handguard mounting issue

10 replies to this topic
  • Windseeker

Posted April 07, 2008 - 04:00 AM

I already destroyed one brake line after crashing on ice by the means of acerbis handguard. That was last year's bike. Now installed a new set and that's what I see after the first ride - a dent by the brake line fitting thing in the inside of the handguard.... they are in close contact and I guess after a serious encounter with mother earth or something away goes by another front brake line....

I keep the levers at approx 40 degrees turned down and try to keep the handguards horisontal (as its not obvoius from the pics) to keep the branches on narrow forest roads off...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any suggestions to keep these in harmony? :thumbsup: Thanks

• angrybob

Posted April 07, 2008 - 04:52 AM

I have Cycra Probends with the front mount. The aluminum bar had to be 'influenced' with a vice and dead blow hammer to fit properly with my setup. The bars will reshape without too much effort if they can be separated from the plastic guards.

• DeeCee

Posted April 07, 2008 - 05:09 AM

I suggest you look at loosening the brake and guard attachments so they will just move when you give them a firm tap with your hand i.e. not so loose they will turn too easily. By doing this they can turn when they hit something and without damaging each other. I have saved lots of guards and levers this way.

• jrny426

Posted April 07, 2008 - 05:32 AM

The only thing I can think is to make an extention on the inside bar mount to clear the brake fitting,my 07 has the same issues

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2008 - 06:24 AM

Ideas:

> Round off the corners of the guard/mount at the critical area and push a short piece of soft tubing over them.

> Roll a metal sleeve over the brake hose.

> Re-form the brake hose fitting to clear better.

> Leave the lever loose enough that the hand guard can move it if th eguard moves in a crash.

> Run the guards lower and/or the levers higher.

> Reduce the size of the pictures you put on you put on Koreshock to a lower resolution. Their bandwidth isn't very good, and they take forever to load.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted April 07, 2008 - 07:34 AM

I run Acerbis Rally Pro's with GYT-R triple clamp mounts... no problems on my bike. I had to tweak the Rally Pro's to get them to fit but they are solid as a rock and will not interfere with any of my controls. The triple clamp mounts make them sturdier too- no more twisting in a crash. I'll try and find a photo later, I think I posted one some time back but can't remember.

• Windseeker

Posted April 07, 2008 - 02:39 PM

Ideas:

> Round off the corners of the guard/mount at the critical area and push a short piece of soft tubing over them.

> Roll a metal sleeve over the brake hose.

> Re-form the brake hose fitting to clear better.

> Leave the lever loose enough that the hand guard can move it if th eguard moves in a crash.

> Run the guards lower and/or the levers higher.

> Reduce the size of the pictures you put on you put on Koreshock to a lower resolution. Their bandwidth isn't very good, and they take forever to load.

Noted - especially the bandwidth issue :thumbsup:
I think bending the guard to a wider shape so it is not so close to the brake master seems an attractive option. will report when done... AND keeping them looser.

Thanks everyone.

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2008 - 03:24 PM

Another idea, hard to tell if it would work for you:

What about flipping the inner bar mount over so that the hose runs under it, rather than over?

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:57 PM

Put a spacer on the inside end of the bark buster. That way it sits out a bit from the brake line and wont hit it. A couple of washers would probably do the trick with minimal work needed.

• Windseeker

Posted April 08, 2008 - 01:45 AM

spacers! feel stupid not to guess it myself !! Thanks!!

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted April 08, 2008 - 06:08 AM

My Pleasure. Hope it works

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.