Taming Down a 2008 WR450

25 replies to this topic
  • thedktor

Posted April 07, 2008 - 01:47 AM

I'm considering buying a new WR450 but have some reservations about the power delivery - it comes in too fast and too strong for a lot of conditions.

Bearing in mind I have done a lot of miles on both an XR-650 and a KTM-525 and love the big power these types of bikes give, but all that power and engine braking is hard work in anything other than open terrain.

The 525 is probably similar power to the WR but seems to deliver it in a more friendly way at lower revs - the WR feels more like a light XR-650 in some respects with horsepower everywhere, and that bike was really hard work on a MX or enduro course, not so much because of its weight but due to its monster engine.

So the point is, I "have" to have a high powered bike as 250's and the like really dont do it for me, but was wondering if there is any obvious way to tame down the delivery of the WR at lower revs.

For example could the infamous "grey wire" mod be made switchable? Anyone tried flywheel weights, or any other suggestions?

TD

• canyonclimb

Posted April 07, 2008 - 01:53 AM

I put a switch on my grey wire. didn't like the idea of cutting it. I have tried both ways, on and off. I really don't see much difference. The best way to tame down your 450 brand new is not to do any mods. without the mods done, it is actually pretty tame

• dirtysouth

Posted April 07, 2008 - 04:47 AM

Grey wire is ignition mapping that is mainly top end. Tame it down with gearing.

• WR_Dave

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:26 AM

Leave it bone stock, that's tame enough for anyone. WR Dave.

• William1

Posted April 07, 2008 - 10:16 AM

I put the switch on my Grey wire, a very noticable difference. Unlike a KYM, the bike must be switched off when toggling between maps. The CDI only checks for the Grey wire connection at start.

Further taming can be done by corking the pipe up more, covering more of the airbox snorkle, locating milder cams or using a lower compression piston (best method).

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 07, 2008 - 10:43 AM

Leave it bone stock, that's tame enough for anyone. WR Dave.

I agree but would still recomend a fuel screw.

my WR450 was very jumpy to small throttle inputs untill I replaced the fuel screw and adjusted it right.

• aircop

Posted April 07, 2008 - 11:42 AM

You may want to try going one tooth smaller on your front sprocket. The dealer accidentally shipped the wrong (non-stock sprocket) and it was the best thing he could of done for me. If you do hill climbs or have to go slow through tight woods, you are not going to have to worry about keeping the revs up higher to avoid it from conking out on you. I purchased mine new in '01 and its been an excellent bike. I love it.

• Dube2

Posted April 07, 2008 - 11:49 AM

get a jetting kit and leave it alone. just my $.02

• justbackitin

Posted April 07, 2008 - 04:18 PM

My grandma would have been disappointed with the performance of my stock 06'.

• thedktor

Posted April 08, 2008 - 05:51 AM

OK thanks for the feedback.

Can I point out again that my interest is in the 2007/2008 model which has a different engine to the earlier WRs and I really want to know whether things like the grey wire etc still apply to this version?

I had a 2007 model briefly so know what its like - the one I had was in the basic "uncorked" state ie standard exhaust/sensibly quiet. No doubt that there was some more power available with a more open pipe etc but already wheelie-city in the first 4 gears. Which is nice but not so good trying to get traction on a muddy track or when trying to hang on 2 hours into an enduro!

Thanks

TD

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • STECKNINE

Posted April 08, 2008 - 06:21 AM

For me the power on my 08 wr 450 is perfect for 2 hour enduro or 3 hour desert race! I came off a 05 YZ 250 where I had to have the throttle cracked all the time. I feel like the 08 wr 450 has very user friendly power and, will walk up any hill. Can I suggest the wr 250 or maybe some more push ups!:thumbsup:

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 08, 2008 - 08:42 AM

OK thanks for the feedback.

Can I point out again that my interest is in the 2007/2008 model which has a different engine to the earlier WRs and I really want to know whether things like the grey wire etc still apply to this version?

I had a 2007 model briefly so know what its like - the one I had was in the basic "uncorked" state ie standard exhaust/sensibly quiet. No doubt that there was some more power available with a more open pipe etc but already wheelie-city in the first 4 gears. Which is nice but not so good trying to get traction on a muddy track or when trying to hang on 2 hours into an enduro!

Thanks

TD

I have an 08. they still come all corked up.
1. grey wire
2. throttle stop limited to half throttle
3. a Plug in the tail pipe.
4. lean jetting

and I'll say it again. mine was very jumpy to small throttle inputs untill I replaced the fuel screw and adjusted it correctly.

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted April 08, 2008 - 08:47 AM

Heavier flywheel weights will slow the revs down quite a bit.

• erickdj

Posted April 08, 2008 - 08:55 AM

I have an 07, it was actually very tame in stock form. If you're uncomfortable with the power from a stock wr450 then you should probably stick with the wr250. Or the other option is to give it some time to get used to it and before you know it you'll be completely used to it. Who knows, you may even want to uncork it after a couple of months. Mine is totally uncorked and I have no problem riding it all day long, and at 5'5" I'm not exactly a big guy... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: If you've been on 650's and 525's I'm surprised that a "corked" wr450 is more than you can handle.

• thedktor

Posted April 09, 2008 - 07:41 AM

Its not that I have a problem with the power as I love it! My "problem" is that in some situations such as enduros in the UK there is just too much of it and it makes the bike hard work. A 250 would be more suitable but I dont want one so am looking at ways to make the 450 a bit easier to ride when needed - a dual map ignition would be perfect!

TD

• WR_Dave

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:33 AM

I had a Vortex X-10 CDI on my old WR426 and the mud setting I used was perfect, and then when you hit drier ground again, you just flip the handlebar switch and your back at full power again. WR Dave.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 09, 2008 - 03:17 PM

If you've been on 650's and 525's I'm surprised that a "corked" wr450 is more than you can handle.

Both the 650R and KTM 525 are a far cry from putt putt bikes...and MUCH more bike than a corked 450 :thumbsup:

My "problem" is that in some situations such as enduros in the UK there is just too much of it and it makes the bike hard work.

I can relate. In one circumstance did I find my bike to be way more than I could handle and that was on the singletrack at Clear Creek. Throttle response that seems "spot on" on mellow singletrack, regular trails, and fireroads seemed way to jumpy for the tight uphill rutted and rocky singletrack stuff. I used up alot of energy keeping my legs up and out of the ruts and also slipping the clutch to keep the bike from coming out from under me. I refuse to blame it on the bike though as I can use some improvement in my physical conditioning. I almost passed out :thumbsup:

• erickdj

Posted April 09, 2008 - 03:45 PM

Both the 650R and KTM 525 are a far cry from putt putt bikes...and MUCH more bike than a corked 450 :thumbsup:

I can relate. In one circumstance did I find my bike to be way more than I could handle and that was on the singletrack at Clear Creek. Throttle response that seems "spot on" on mellow singletrack, regular trails, and fireroads seemed way to jumpy for the tight uphill rutted and rocky singletrack stuff. I used up alot of energy keeping my legs up and out of the ruts and also slipping the clutch to keep the bike from coming out from under me. I refuse to blame it on the bike though as I can use some improvement in my physical conditioning. I almost passed out :thumbsup:

Joe is right, don't blame it on the bike, it's mostly about the rider. I can handle my wr450 pretty easily, I've learned to use its power to my advantage. After riding a yz450:eek: my uncorked wr450 seems quite mellow and tame.:confused: :ride:

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:12 PM

come on......:thumbsup: the WR450 is totaly rocking at clear creek. I just think of my clutch as a manual rekluse:p

my least favorite are the ruts that are taller then the seat and that you have to run with the bike.

• JSanfilippo

Posted April 09, 2008 - 09:38 PM

come on......:thumbsup: the WR450 is totaly rocking at clear creek. I just think of my clutch as a manual rekluse:p

my least favorite are the ruts that are taller then the seat and that you have to run with the bike.

I'm gonna be up there in the weekend after this one and I'm going to try some different things...It bothers me gettin my ass totally kicked

I LOVE THE HILLCLIMBS OUT THERE THOUGH :thumbsup:

I wanna see Erick hold his bike up on some of those trails with them short stubby legs of his :confused:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.