Help with servicing forks????

4 replies to this topic
  • tarlint

Posted April 06, 2008 - 08:42 PM

Quick question................

I am new to riding bikes and I have a 2000 WR400. My left fork is leaking fluid and I need to service them. My question is how tough will it be to do this job? The local dealer is charging $100 labor and then parts are about $50. The problem is they are 3 to 4 weeks out on time.

I dont want to be down that long with the season just starting and I am pondering trying it on my own. Are they any special words of advice for me, tools I need, etc???? I have the manual and mechanically I can figure it out if it is pretty straight forward.

Thanks in advance for your thougths!

• groundpounder450

Posted April 06, 2008 - 08:45 PM

here ya go:thumbsup: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=625393

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tarlint

Posted April 06, 2008 - 09:06 PM

Thank you, I will check these out first thing tomorrow and get it done. I appreciate the help.

• byggd

Posted April 07, 2008 - 04:16 AM

How badly is it leaking? Have you tried the 35mm film cleaning trick? It worked great on my bike. Then I installed seal savers, no more leaks!

• justbackitin

Posted April 07, 2008 - 06:08 PM

I just replaced my left fork seal. It took me about an hour an new seal and $10.00 worth of oil. The only tool you really need is a seal pusher to properly punch the seal into the fork leg. Do a little searching around, and make sure you look in the yz section of TT. You should find some step by step instructions.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.