Snort POP POP POP

7 replies to this topic
  • NV1

Posted April 06, 2008 - 06:19 PM

The last few days I have been trying out my new to me XR650R. What a fun bike! It's a 2005 and has been used less that 10 hours. The original owner had the local stealership uncork it and install a Pro Circuit T4 slip on. I'm not sure why but they left the smog pump in place. The bike seems to run fine but when you let off the gas it really pops like it is backfiring. The noise is much louder than when you are accelerating. Is this normal with an aftermarket exaust? Or do I need to work on the carb?

• RipperFox

Posted April 06, 2008 - 06:29 PM

In BRP language, that be "taka off da smogification stragulation":eek:

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 06, 2008 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, what RipperFox said...

You can buy a block-off kit, but I think you could also do it yourself? But, take that off, and do a re-jet, and you should be good to go.

• jdubb75

Posted April 06, 2008 - 08:34 PM

Yeah, get rid of the smog stuff. Make sure to check your jets...sounds a little lean. I didn't notice any kind of performance gain by removing the smog pump, but who needs it anyway.:thumbsup: I just wanted to take a couple pounds off the pig.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 06, 2008 - 11:49 PM

The smog pump 'injects' air into the cylinder, to assist in burning off gases that were not previously burnt from combustion. It is supposed to 'pop', as that is the gases burning off. Remove the smog pump, check for uncorking (pipe tip, airbox) and jetting. Then you'll be good.

• NV1

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the advice I thought that it might be the pump. I know that it was rejeted because I was given the stock jets and muffler when I got the bike. I'll get rid of the pump and see how she goes.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 07, 2008 - 10:00 AM

yea them dealerships are some smart cookies, leave on the smog crap to lean it back out after you just rejetted it.... jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz. Very few good mechanics left anymore that understand the theory behind what they are doing. Mostly parts changers nowdays.

Except Martinfan of course.....

• martinfan30

Posted April 09, 2008 - 07:26 PM

yea them dealerships are some smart cookies, leave on the smog crap to lean it back out after you just rejetted it.... jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz. Very few good mechanics left anymore that understand the theory behind what they are doing. Mostly parts changers nowdays.

Except Martinfan of course.....

:thumbsup:

You said a mouthfull brother!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.