So? How was the BRP event? Details!

17 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 06, 2008 - 05:12 PM

Wish I could have made it, but work is crazy (the good kind).

• Thumpage

Posted April 07, 2008 - 01:03 AM

Too bad you coudn't make it. At least crazy work is the good kind that made you miss the trip. But even still.....

Check in here for the latest updates as guys start posting. Plenty of great pics and some short video of wide open runs across a dry lakebed will be posted soon.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=627728

• Thorndike

Posted April 07, 2008 - 07:54 PM

I had a good time putting faces with names. I was sorry to only be able to come out for Saturday. Wish we could have stayed longed and gotten to know everyone. Next time I'm in for the weekend. I like the idea for having a ride schedule. We went out before anyone was ready in the morning ( hard night? I mean fun night) and when we came back in,you guys were out. We also missed riding with you guys because of our short time out and having to leave early when Pauls CR500 spit out the stator on the north end of Cuttyback Lake. See you next time, I'm in.

Nick

• martinfan30

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:21 PM

I had a good time putting faces with names. I was sorry to only be able to come out for Saturday. Wish we could have stayed longed and gotten to know everyone. Next time I'm in for the weekend. I like the idea for having a ride schedule. We went out before anyone was ready in the morning ( hard night? I mean fun night) and when we came back in,you guys were out. We also missed riding with you guys because of our short time out and having to leave early when Pauls CR500 spit out the stator on the north end of Cuttyback Lake. See you next time, I'm in.

Nick

Hey Nick, thanks for coming anyway! Good to meet you as well. Keep an eye on the thread Thumpage posted, its now a sticky.

So, you got Paul out ok? It was the stator that crapped out?

• Thorndike

Posted April 08, 2008 - 05:05 PM

Yes we got to him, he was way out there. We ended up taking Cuttyback road out to 20 Mule Team Rd. and then home. We've been riding the last 6 weekends so Paul had to get home to take his wife to dinner to make points so we can go out again this weekend. Don't know if it was the stator yet, will know next week. Looking foward to doing it again, you guys had the set up!

• resurrection

Posted April 08, 2008 - 06:00 PM

How does one go about setting up a mid west visit ?
Mid Ohio july
Elkart wis. june
Springfield IL. May /sept.
All within about 150 miles local .

I can provide several bikes for visitors.and cold beer.

• martinfan30

Posted April 08, 2008 - 07:10 PM

Mid Ohio july
Elkart wis. june

Sounds like you need to relocate out west! We would love to have you out here.

• RipperFox

Posted April 08, 2008 - 07:17 PM

Mid Ohio july
Elkart wis. june

Man with beer and bikes...You gotta sista???

You can be my bro' in law anytime.:thumbsup:

• resurrection

Posted April 08, 2008 - 07:31 PM

You can take the sisters .
I wont the bikes back

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resurrection

Posted April 08, 2008 - 07:35 PM

Sounds like you need to relocate out west! We would love to have you out here.

My motherinlaw lives outside LasVagas.
Avisit your way is not out of the question if we can avoid the mother.

• ABTrailers

Posted April 08, 2008 - 09:48 PM

I arrived Saturday about noon when I got to the camp I must say I was impressed, everything nice and neat a couple new 4x4 diesel trucks and two 5th wheels with the sides popped out, apparently all the men were out riding as several very attractive women were near the outdoor kitchen. As I slid my truck in the oldest woman approximately 35 years old ordered the younger ones back in their trailer and something about getting the dogs and a shotgun........she made it clear that I was in the wrong camp and that I should go down the road to the next camp I explained that I was very sorry and that I really liked to stay she said my our type wasn't welcome. As I left I looked back and could see the cute younger girls peeking thru the designer blinds like scared schoolgirls.
Upon arriving at the next camp with beer drinkers milling around a camp fire I knew I was in the right (or wrong) place. Everyone introduced themselves as "Rich" I figured they were screwing with the new guy and noted each jersey outfit just in case I had the opportunity to place my kenda upwind of their paths...They said I was just in time to ride and waiting for the two problem guys to get their boots on. Walking past all the dualsport bikes I chose to leave my 60 lb toolbox that I call a backpack in the truck.......a decision my back felt confident that I wouldn't regret. After I got done unloading my bike and setting up my camp (read pad in back of truck). The two problem knuckleheads were still fussing with their pink basket and pantyhose.......uh I mean boots and cell phone. I haven't been riding with so many for a while and re-acquaint myself with either blinding dust or finding side trails upwind. After a few poorly placed rocks I realized in my hurry I never checked my tires and slowed down to our next stop before I get a pinch flat. As usual when dealing with dualsports there's always several guys with a complete snap on rollaway strapped on his fender and this trip was no exception. One guy whips out an air gauge to confirm what any squid could sum up with a glance that i needed air.....another guy swilling beer all dressed in green had a little air bottle and his partner had the filler tool (I figured they were a couple and left it at that). It turns out the kawasaki guy(I can only assume his name is
rich) was merely trying (quite nicely I must say) to accessorize and color coordinate heiniken cans with his green outfit (I think no one would argue that he stayed color coordinated thru the whole trip). The balance of the ride was uneventful there were a few whoops to loosen up on. However It turns out the one guy that lent me the air filler was riding with only his right hand. I was a little confused and just figured he was showing off how fast he was, I didn't know where we were going but I figured he teased me enough so I zipped past him........after a racing thru the whoops for a while and satisfied that he must be using both hands I pulled over and we went searching for everybody else. Figuring somebody in the back had decided to try to display and sell some of the extra crap in around their yard we parked waited. The balance of the ride was uneventful as Agent skillfully guided us back to the ice chests brimming with super cold icy beer. I could tell immediately that this was everybody's comfort zone with motorcycles parked between a fire and ice chest. Tony (splodge's son) took to the camera which after listening to the banter back and forth was destined to failure....however everybody humored them and we stood for pictures. I could understand why some parties just couldn't wait for this group to go riding as it was hard to get them to leave the comfort of the fire and ice chests. However after several prompts we got a late start for an evening ride. We went down the road and to some abandoned buildings where the
"R" guys watched the "L" guys do burnouts.......I secretly thought .........hmmm so this is what "L" guys do when they get together! I recall thinking are burnouts any more stupid than the things the "R" guys do like trying to climb unclimbable hills or 30 miles of deep whoops. And after all every guy secretly wants to do smoking burnouts just like we did as high school kids in our parents station wagon. After a while I decided I wanted to go back and do burnouts in the building so I broke my throttle cable as an excuse to return. At this point three guys with snap on rollaways pull up to give me a hand on dis-assembling my bike. At one point there were literally three different guys whipping out tools and dis assembling my bike I was more than a little scared when a forth guy pulls our a pair of pliers and started twisting away on my bike........I was about ready to shout at him as I would one of my mechanics when their about ready to use the wrong tool to undoubtedly rip every bit of factory applied finish from the metals surface. I looked up at all of them with fear, they looked so intent on fixing my problem that I didn't have the heart to try and stop them. I just had to walk away. When I came back to see if any usable parts were left to be salvaged I was pleasantly surprised as Agent explained that all I had to do was to yank the vice grips and the bike would go. Cleanord (I can only remember his name cuz it wasn't rich), pulled me aside and advised me to use care when yanking on the vicegrips too aggressively while they are hooked up to a 650 cc minibike (what was now left of my used to be 650r). While riding back I thought what a great job these guys had done at fixing my bike. No doubt the tv show Macgyver was based on "Agents" true life story, agent wasn't like the rest the dualsporters, he had a shiny new "R" his bike only had a tiny fender bag that it contained only a pair of flip flops and a tiny vicegrips. I learned later that with those simple items he could re-build any part of a honda, hodaka, husky or probably any bike for that matter. When I first met Agent all bent over with grimaces on his face........I figured he's damn near crippled whats he doing out here riding. Boy was I glad I met this man as without him (or the three roll away tool boxes) I would have been walking 20 miles back to camp.
Things deteriorated after it got dark, nobody ate, they just drank and began exploding things. At one point several people had explosives and gas cans in hand filling beer bottles to explode in the fire. As things further deteriorated and one of the guys lit my dads down jacket on fire (that I just got repaired from my last ride). I kept vigilant and always tried to put my feet between my face and the beer bottle full of gasoline that these sickos were trying to explode just feet from my face. Eventually we had to hide the gasoline from some individuals they then resorted to trying to explode their MRE's not like it would matter as nobody cared to eat and only drank more beer. Some where around this time Tattooart with a really shiny bike decided that the guy in green and Cleanord were too dangerous to allow in camp any longer take them far out into the desert. I wanted to go with them and try out my new headlight but my bike was broken (in retrospect having broken and further dismantling my motorcycle possibly saved my life). Tattooart made the mistake of telling Tony that he could have his truck if he didn't come back that night (that would come back to haunt him as morning approached). I was dead tired but knew it was too dangerous to sleep so I forced myself to stay awake and drink more beer......... I was curious to find out what had happened to tattooart and the guys he had lured out into the desert night to likely never return, I figured his plan was to flashburn their eyeballs with his pod of suntan lamps, leaving them blind and helpless adrift in a lonely cold desert. It was about this time an immigrant stumbled into camp. To say the least we were insulted that he would show up with his flag waving drinking foreign beer with one of those stupid damn accents, I have no idea what ever happened to the foreigner however upwind of camp a ways there was a shovel with freshly piled dirt that just makes me fear the worst.
The next day I wasn't surprised when the morning ride started after noon. This was the first time I was actually able to meet these sickos, turns out most of them were pretty nice. Coolage was roughing it in the camp next to mine turned out to be a handy neighbor he was the only sane one and had turned in early the previous night and barricaded himself in his rig. Agent I learned hurt his back explaining his hunched grimace. Martin and his dad (I believe they are both named Rich) were just the nicest guys and i felt really bad for not trying harder to stop Denn from throwing a lit m-80 in their tent. Thumper Is in the prime of his life and going for the gusto. Carl and the Kawasaki guy eventually stumbled into camp the next morning.........I caught tattooart leaving with parts off my bike (probably figured it was another abandoned mess in the desert) saying "don't worry I can get you all fixed up".
Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I can't wait for the next tt ride on the 26th to San Felipe

• Coolidge

Posted April 09, 2008 - 05:07 AM

Krannie, You def missed a great time, but when ya gotta work, ya gotta work. I know that story. ABT's read was great (good to meet you BTW Alex). I live not too far from camp area, but managed to get there in about double the time it should have taken me to get there. After I passed Fremont Peak Rd on 395, I turned all 50+ft of RV/Trailer around and found the TT sign. After pulling onto a sandy road, that seemed to lead to nowhere in the desert, and seeing nobody but a Camry(?) drive by, I decided to unload my bike and head up that road, as I didnt see anywhere to turnaround if I was in the wrong place. Anyways, I pulled into that same camp...wrong one! I finally found everyone, and went back for my rig. Did a quick 'hello' and suit-up, and went for a ride...

The ride to Husky was great. It became obvious fairly quickly, I should have worn my chest protector....dem rocks hurt! It was a pretty easy, fun ride to the monument. I have always wanted to do this ride. Pretty moving place. The ride back was good but yeah, the sandy whoops got to me too. For me, Im 5'-7" (5'-11" w/the fro :ride: - j/k!) and 155lbs outta the shower, and my bike is EZ 300+lbs. The whoops beat me like a drum, and I went off course and went down :thumbsup: . No biggee. later that day we rode to the 'abandonded building'. That was fun. It was also fun pacing Highway traffic on the dirt road @ 80mph!! :thumbsup: After Sploogemonkey and I made it back to camp, I got cleaned up, sat down to have a little eats and read a bit. I woke up (passed out) hours later w/my food spilled on my bed and magazine was reading. DOH! So, I apologize if I was anti-social Saturday eve. But I was pretty fargin tired. Least I slept over 8 hrs. I never get to sleep like that @ home!

Next morning, I got up early, we BS'd around the fire, had some awesome Deer sausage, (Thx ABT) After that, I went on a solo ride to Cal City, all the way to Borax Bill park. That was about a 50 mile ride. As I got back from that ride, pretty much everyone was up, and heading out again. I had to pack it up, and bail, but got home around 4:00. Thanks again, Rich, and all who got this deal together. Mucho appreciado. I'd love to do it again.
Lets ride.... :confused:
~Guy

• Thorndike

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:12 PM

Had I knowen you guys were crazey blowem up types I would have been out earlier and stayed longer. What fun I missed. I'll have to show you the pumpkin in the hole - black powder trick. Whens next time?

• martinfan30

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:19 PM

Had I knowen you guys were crazey blowem up types I would have been out earlier and stayed longer. What fun I missed. I'll have to show you the pumpkin in the hole - black powder trick. Whens next time?

There will be a sticky thread sometime soon for the discussion of when and where. Keep an eye out. Just because I live so far off, I wont be able to do this again till the fall. Doesnt mean you guys shouldnt hook it up earlier either. Just I think October sometime is when the BIG gathering should be.

That trick sounds like something right up our alley!

Rich.

• BWB63

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:26 PM

There were a few stories of how........lots of different hows,

I bought three Magnesium 15 Pound Ingot Bars - for $140....they should be here tomorrow!

What was the other stuff I need to buy? The stuff you shoot? I forgot what it was called. I will have video and pictures real soon.

• martinfan30

Posted April 09, 2008 - 06:53 PM

There were a few stories of how........lots of different hows,

I bought three Magnesium 15 Pound Ingot Bars - for $140....they should be here tomorrow!

What was the other stuff I need to buy? The stuff you shoot? I forgot what it was called. I will have video and pictures real soon.

I'd like to see those vids.

Clay pigeons?

• BWB63

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:00 PM

I'd like to see those vids.

Clay pigeons?

Someone had a name for some stuff that exloded on impact........I was hoping someone could give the name for that stuff again. I remember now....Tannerite:crazy: :thumbsup:

• sploogemonkey

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:39 PM

Yup, Tannerite.

Here's an interesting read about a guy who recently made the news for blowing up 100 pounds worth of it.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://www.kare11.co...?storyid=492577

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.