wr400 wont idle

70 replies to this topic
  • manther

Posted April 17, 2008 - 07:13 AM

I've ordered a Zip Ty fuel screw. We'll see what happens with that installed in the carb.

• matt4x4

Posted April 17, 2008 - 11:19 AM

Did you check to see if the ZipTy comes with spring washer and o-ring - I'm not sure since I run a WB screw and it didn't come with them.

• manther

Posted April 17, 2008 - 11:50 AM

Did you check to see if the ZipTy comes with spring washer and o-ring - I'm not sure since I run a WB screw and it didn't come with them.

Yeah cause in the picture it doesn't show. But I called thumper talk, a rep went and opened one up and told me on the phone it comes with. So that part is good to go.

• Frostbite

Posted April 17, 2008 - 05:41 PM

Yeah cause in the picture it doesn't show. But I called thumper talk, a rep went and opened one up and told me on the phone it comes with. So that part is good to go.

Yes. I got one from TT and the spring, ring and washer were included.

• matt4x4

Posted April 18, 2008 - 04:09 AM

Awesome - well, let's see where that gets you, if it fixes things, it'll be a cheap fix, if not, it'll make further adjustments much easier.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • anathema

Posted April 18, 2008 - 06:34 AM

Also not sure how much help you asked from Burned in the jetting forum, but I would venture a guess that he is one of the most knowledgable people on this board and if you dont argue with his suggestions he will almost certainly fix your problem, probably quickly!

Sorry no usefull input other than that :thumbsup:

Good luck!

• manther

Posted April 18, 2008 - 07:24 AM

Yeah I've been working with Burned on this, in the jetting forum also.

• manther

Posted April 20, 2008 - 08:56 PM

I got the Zip Ty fuel screw. "Burned" wanted me to try blowing through the fuel intake tube on the carb with brake cleaner. So to test this out step by step I tried this first with the 48 pilot jet and the old fuel screw in there, after I cleaned out the fuel tube with brake cleaner. The bike wouldn't even start. So I put the new fuel screw in with a #48 pilot screw, and I still couldn't get the bike to start... So I thought maybe this bike just needs to run a little richer than other bikes of the same model. So I went straight to a 52. Bike still wouldn't start. The spark plug looked like it might be fouled out. Replaced it, but still wouldn't start. I then remembered I had completely backed out the throttle knob earlier when I had the carb out. I opened up the idle knob a little and it started. I set the idle to a slightly high idle and the fuel screw to 2 turns. Then went and rode it around to warm it up. I kept it at a high idle. And tried turning the fuel screw in and out. It didn't really seem to make too much of a difference where I set it. Maybe I just don't know what to listen for. Also after having the bike nice and warm I still have to use the choke to start it. So I remembered that I really never gave the #48 a fair chance sense I had the idle turned all the way down. So, I put in the #48. I was able to start it. I drove it around and re-warmed it up. It was pretty touchy to the idle knob. If I didn't have it set just a tad high sounding, it wanted to die. I began trying to find the point of turning in the fuel screw that made it sound as if the bike was about to die (with intensions of then thurning it back in until it reached it's highest idle point), when in fact it did die. Then I got interrupted and had to quit for the evening. Can give it some more tries tommorow. But I'm beginning to get a little frustrated.

• manther

Posted April 23, 2008 - 08:28 AM

Ok I finally got to work on this again last night. And, I think I got it this time. With the new fuel screw in, the #48 pilot jet in, I was able to turn the fuel screw and see changes in the idle. I warmed up the bike, backed the fuel screw down until the engine began to miss quite a bit, and was starting to idle very slowly. Then in 1/4 turn increments I turned the fuel screw back out until the idle picked up and was not missing very much. When it stopped getting any better sounding I stopped turning. This was at 2 turns. I then turned the idle screw until I got a steady idle that was not too fast or too slow. Then I cut off the bike and practiced starting it with out using the choke, and it did start. This is the first ime I've been able to start the bike warmed up without the choke... I'm going to pick up a few spark plugs, and do a few plug chop tests to make sure I don't have it too lean... Although I think the plug test really only tests the main circuit...

• matt4x4

Posted April 23, 2008 - 11:33 AM

Yup, plug chop only tests the main jet.
Congrats, sounds like she's a runner!

• maxtherat

Posted April 23, 2008 - 04:20 PM

Glad to hear that you are possibly back up to speed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.