spark plugs?

4 replies to this topic
  • zaxcar1

Posted April 06, 2008 - 02:50 PM

i have a ngk br8e plug in the bike now. i was told i could run a cooler br9f. would that have any porblems?

• zaxcar1

Posted April 06, 2008 - 02:53 PM

sorry that was a cr8e and its for a 426

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2008 - 03:34 PM

You can if you like changing plugs so much that you want to do it more often. The 9's are too cold to stay clean in your engine unless, maybe, you're running super moto with a 13.5:1 compression ratio on a long track in the summer. You will foul them often.

A colder plug WILL NOT make your bike run cooler. The heat range of a spark plug is a measure of how fast the heat of combustion is carried away from the center electrode. If the plug is too cold, it will never burn away the fouling deposits that try to build on the porcelain, and it will foul. If it's too hot, it will retain too much heat, probably crack the insulator or burn away the center electrode too quickly, and possibly cause pre-ignition. Stay with the CR8's. They are right for your bike.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 06, 2008 - 03:42 PM

To oversimplify what grayracer said, the spark plug heat range basically referrs to how hot the center electrode will be during operation. Most commonly, if it's too hot then it can cause pre-ignition (knock, ping) or if way too hot possibly dieseling, too cold and it will foul easily. Rarely is there reason to change from the stock plug on a mostly stock motor.

• William1

Posted April 06, 2008 - 03:49 PM

My bike came with a 9 in it. It fouled, porcelain was always wet. I run a 8, comes out nice and dry.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.