Just bought a nice used '99 650L...

3 replies to this topic
  • ericinmichigan

Posted April 05, 2008 - 09:22 PM

and I'm LOVIN it! Found it here in the classifieds, picked it up Friday. Man...what a blast to ride! The smog stuff is removed already, and the previous owner did some carb adjusting already. It has 8500 miles and runs great. He took off the air scoops, but provided them with the bike. I was at my local dealer and ordered the hardware to re-mount them - they direct air onto the air-cooled engine...seems like a good idea to re-mount them. A question - if I grind off the welds so I can take out the end cap of the stock exhaust, will I find a screen inside (like on my kid's CRF50 and CRF80) that might benefit from cleaning the carbon off?

I'm really sorry to ask about this, but I keep seeing everyone here talk about Dave's mods. I spent a while looking around for this article (I assume that's what it is) but I'm stumped as to where the info is. Would anybody mind providing me with some info so I can check it out please?? THANKS in advance - I looked around before asking this question, just fyi. Again...thanks!

• RipperFox

Posted April 05, 2008 - 11:39 PM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ericinmichigan

Posted April 06, 2008 - 05:57 AM

Thanks Ripper! Guess what I'm gonna be doing today...lol.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted April 06, 2008 - 10:11 AM

Glad to hear you are another 650L owner :thumbsup:

In instructions in the service manual regarding cleaning the carbon build-up out of the muffler are probably all you will need to do.

You take out the little access plates off of the bottom of the muffler. With the bike running, and those ports open, tap on the muffler with something. It does not specify.

When I removed the welds, and yanked that baffle out, I was still not able to remove the screen, but I didn't need to anyway. It showed no signs of blockage anywhere.

I imagine that if your 650L is not running rich, it will never have an issue with carbon build-up.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.