smoke after let off throttle

10 replies to this topic
  • FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted April 05, 2008 - 02:54 PM

I have a 1995 xr600r and it smokes a bit after i let off the throttle.The oil level was fine maybe even a little high.I would say no big deal but its plated and i am sure the people behind me don't much like it.I was wondering if the oil level was to high would it make it do this?If not what else might do it?

• creeky

Posted April 05, 2008 - 03:56 PM

After deceleration and subsequent application of throttle, if a puff of smoke appears and then the smoke stops, the valve stem seals are leaking.

• FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted April 05, 2008 - 04:01 PM

how big of a job is it?

• 426_kid

Posted April 05, 2008 - 04:54 PM

what do you consider a big job? lmao my 86 smokes on decel but its not bad I am planning on doing a complete rebuild next winter unless it pusses the issue its not to bad. honestly some one thats a little mechanically inclined can do it. it helps if you have a shop manual too

• FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted April 05, 2008 - 04:57 PM

should i be concerned just keep an eye on my oil?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Billahjack

Posted April 06, 2008 - 07:07 PM

Don't let off of the throttle.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:21 AM

If it smokes just a little, I'd just watch my oil level.

Got my forks on and my oil changed, just need to get it inspected. Get yours done yet?

Dave

• FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:34 AM

YA I GOT IT ON THE ROAD ON FRIDAY AND PLAN ON INSPECTION THIS THURSDAY.i ALSO HAVE A USED HEADLIGHT COMING AND WHILE ITS APART I WANT TO CHANGE THE SWITCH.LET ME KNOW WHEN YOUR GOING TO RIDE.

• DGXR

Posted April 07, 2008 - 09:57 AM

Sounds more like rings to me. Decel (compression/engine braking) causes a greater vacuum inside the cylinder because the carb slide is closed. If the rings are worn, this vacuum will suck a very small amount of oil up past the rings into the cylinder. This tiny bit of oil burns away quickly when throttle is reapplied. If it has decent power, I would not worry about it much unless other drivers start complaining about your smoky exhaust or unless you happen to come upon some spare money and time. Just keep an eye on the oil level - it's not going to blow up unless you let it run very low.

• Coolidge

Posted April 07, 2008 - 10:05 AM

Agreed, smoking on decel would indicate ring wear. Smoke on start-up would be caused by leaking valve guides/seals. Maybe do wet/dry compression test?

• FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted April 07, 2008 - 10:39 AM

What Should The Compression Be At? I Will Give It A Shot But If I Can Get It To Last The Season I Will Go Through The Motor Next Year.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.