Kickstarter on a 650L ?

12 replies to this topic
  • XRsteve

Posted April 05, 2008 - 01:32 PM

Has anybody put a kickstarter on their 650L? I know there's a lot of interchangable parts on the 600/650L, but what parts are needed to add a kickstarter? It would be nice to have a little backup in case the battery goes dead. These pigs are near-impossible to bump start.

• jetfuel

Posted April 05, 2008 - 02:18 PM

Yes its been done by RMHRC630. But its quite involved.
This lengthy thread has the info in it ... http://www.thumperta...ht=kick starter

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 05, 2008 - 05:00 PM

Gee, you just have to split the cases and change the countershaft and machine or replace the clutch cover...

(or maybe on some just machine the countershaft, claimed by one but unproven).

All in all, not all that much if you're pulling the engine apart for something else.

BTW, did we ever resolve if the XRL will start with a totally dead battery if you kick/bump start it?

Dave

• jetfuel

Posted April 05, 2008 - 05:46 PM

As I recall, yes.. you can bump start it.

• Cocky Rooster

Posted April 06, 2008 - 11:31 AM

Buy a deep cycle battery and don't worry about it. My bike has been a cold blooded :thumbsup: because I have been unable/lazy to fiddle with the jetting and maintenance.

After about 4000 miles on my last baja trip the spark plug was worn, the valves were slappin' loose, the oil was a bit grungy, and even Jenna Jameson couldn't suck anything through that air filter. The pig was a pain in the first morning hours and sometimes required quite a few minutes of cranking. The battery's power never waned but my patience did. So sometimes I would just roll down the hill and bump-start it:thumbsup:

I moved my battery to the airbox, so I got one about half the size, and more cold cranking amps than stock from E-Battery online. the service was great.

• riding4life162

Posted April 06, 2008 - 12:04 PM

Gee, you just have to split the cases and change the countershaft and machine or replace the clutch cover...

(or maybe on some just machine the countershaft, claimed by one but unproven).

All in all, not all that much if you're pulling the engine apart for something else.

BTW, did we ever resolve if the XRL will start with a totally dead battery if you kick/bump start it?

Dave

Yes you can bump start a tottally dead battery, I left my ignition on for almost 3 days a few weeks ago, he batt was done, since I live on a hill i just took the bike outside my driveway and it started right up.

Ray

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:22 AM

Good to know-

Dave

• Kinsman

Posted April 07, 2008 - 09:20 AM

I know that two guys can beat themselves half to death trying to bump-start one on flat ground......

• Cocky Rooster

Posted April 07, 2008 - 01:55 PM

I know that two guys can beat themselves half to death trying to bump-start one on flat ground......

Must have pics, or it didn't reeeeeally happen!:thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted April 07, 2008 - 02:06 PM

With a completely dead battery a kick starter isn't going to help a whole lot. The CDI runs off the battery on the 650L. Kicking is just not going to make enough juice to run the CDI. A push start works because you can get the alternator to spin enough to make enough juice for the CDI to fire.

Maybe if you could disconnect the dead battery and the headlight, kicking could make enough juice. No way if those two loads are in the system.

Now if you replace the stator and CDI with XR600 units, you can start it for sure.

• xr650l bum

Posted April 08, 2008 - 07:28 AM

We did discover that the 650l will kick start. There was a guy who did it, but when we started asking questions about it he call us dumbasses and got all pissed off. I do not think there is any issue as far as the cdi not firing when the bike is kicked over. I just needed this on a three day camping/riding trip. Starter was having some issues. What kills me is that I have an extra 650l engine, and an extra lower end for a 600r. I do not have the skills, space, time to do it myself or money to hand it over to a shop and have them build it. One day! Anyone near san diego who wants to take on a project?

• martinfan30

Posted April 08, 2008 - 10:36 AM

Heres that thread Bum is talking abooot.
http://www.thumperta...art on a xr650l

glenn was banned last year, but his last activity is this january. Maybe try PM him. Dont think he'll reply though.:thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted April 08, 2008 - 10:56 AM

I do not think there is any issue as far as the cdi not firing when the bike is kicked over.

It's not an issue if the battery has a little extra juice. I don't know the exact numbers, but the CDI will need some power on the +12 wire from the battery. If the battery is dead, you kicking will make juice in the alternator. The question is with a dead battery and a headlight will the voltage get high enough for the CDI to make a spark. My guess is no. With a push start the alternator gets turned fast enough to get that needed voltage to the CDI box. As long as there is a little juice left int he battery the kick starter should work. A completely flat battery, like the switch being left on overnight, might not start with a kick.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.