'07 Running sick...

5 replies to this topic
  • pdxvtx

Posted April 05, 2008 - 01:10 PM

Ok guys, don't cut the "nut's" off of the newbie....Remember, we we're all stupid at one point in our lives. I've been riding street bikes for years and pretty much know everything about fuel injected bikes that you need to know to be dangerous. Last fall, my buddy and I made a deal, since he was an avid dirt guy and I a street, we both agreed that we would buy the others style of bike and start teaching each other how to ride in the other's discipline.

Bought my '07 WR450 late in the year, had the AIS, re-jet, throttle stop, gytr insert mods done before I even picked the bike up. I've ridden it 4 times since October, crappy weather in Oregon in the heart of winter. Each time I've taken it out, it's been a FU..ing NIGHTMARE!!!!!! The thing WON'T run!!! I was thinking, maybe it needs to "break-in". I get it started let it warm up a little and start riding, the only way it runs worth a crap is if the choke is on full. After riding for 20-30 minutes, if you shut it off and let it sit for 15-20 minutes, it WILL NOT start back up, even holding the "hot lever". Battery eventually goes dead, I ended up kicking the thing for over 45 minutes, I have the bruise on the bottom of my foot to prove it, FINALLY lucked out and got it started. Rode back to the truck, turned it off and tried again, WON'T START!!!

It's acting like its flooded out, but that makes no sense when the only way it runs half-way descent is when the choke is wide open?? He thinks I need to do the grey wire cut...Give me some ideas, before I sell this thing and never touch a carburated dirt bike again!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Sorry for the length of this post, but I'm very frustrated!!!

Ray

• maxtherat

Posted April 05, 2008 - 01:20 PM

If it is doing all that you say plus if it is popping then it sounds like you my need to clean the pilot jet. Probably a small shaving from the tank.

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 05, 2008 - 01:56 PM

Grey wire mod won't fix those issues. Maybe do as max said above and look into the carb issue. Something is not right. My '07 will rip my arms off if I'm not careful!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted April 05, 2008 - 02:06 PM

What jetting did you use? JDJetting, GYTR or you own? How about the fuel screw? You might want to check out this link to see what others are running.

I went with the JDJetting red needle on the 4th clip, 168 main, 48 pilot, thick o-ring for the AP and Zip Ty fuel screw ~1.75 truns out. Removed the AIS, air box snorkle, grey wire, throttle stop and installed a FMF TI Powercorp slip-on. I did all of this before ever riding it. The bike runs fantastic. No hesitation or bog anywhere.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=411240

• William1

Posted April 05, 2008 - 02:57 PM

Does sound like crap in the carb.

Drain the tank and carb, a careful cleaning (perhaps spring for a new pilot jet), a James Dean jet kit and a #40 leak jet (or possibly and adjustable leak jet) with fresh fuel will make your bike sing.

I add Stabil to my fuel when riding dates are few. Makes the fuel last many months instead of a few weeks.

• pdxvtx

Posted April 05, 2008 - 04:55 PM

Does sound like crap in the carb.

Drain the tank and carb, a careful cleaning (perhaps spring for a new pilot jet), a James Dean jet kit and a #40 leak jet (or possibly and adjustable leak jet) with fresh fuel will make your bike sing.

I add Stabil to my fuel when riding dates are few. Makes the fuel last many months instead of a few weeks.

Had Stabil in it all winter. If this is a jet issue, it's going back to the dealer for a free repair. They did the work in the beginning they can fix it. It has all GYTR parts on it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.