new to 4stroke

20 replies to this topic
  • juancy

Posted April 05, 2008 - 05:12 AM

I received my new wr450 this week, after 18 years of riding 2 strokes I am concerned about my decision.To tell you the truth I am afraid of not liking the bike. I just ride it for a few minutes and I got the impression that the yz250 is a lot faster that the wr.I am planing on doing the ais removal, gray wire, Dr.D full exhaust, jetting kit, allready remove the trottle stop.How the wr compare with this mods to a 2007 yz250 stock. I mostly ride trails and cross country. Any suggestion on another modification I should made? Thanks Juan

• maxtherat

Posted April 05, 2008 - 01:39 PM

When you say that you removed the throttle stop you mean that you put in a YZ stop or cut that one down. You need to have one there. Also that mod corresponds with removing the grey wire. Other than that, you can put in a YZ exhaust cam and the only thing really keeping it from running like a yz is that the WR has a heavier fly wheel weight which you probably want for trail riding. The bike will feel much heavier than the 2 stroke and the power delivery is much smoother. I still get screw up when I switch between my wr and the yz250.

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 05, 2008 - 02:00 PM

A new wr450 with the add on's you're talking about will SMOKE a yz250....hands down...

• 2strokenut

Posted April 05, 2008 - 02:37 PM

A new wr450 with the add on's you're talking about will SMOKE a yz250....hands down...

Like smoke it going downhill? :thumbsup: Tell that to guys who switched from a wr450 to a yz250. A YZ450 will barely smoke a yz250. Your talking about a bike that feels like a 125 could beat it in a drag. The Wr stock is painfully so, worse than a crf-x, it will take a buch of mods to get the thing close to a yz.

To the OP, if you were looking to replace your YZ with something superior the WR aint it. The 450 may be smoother but its much heavier slower revving and down on HP. Gets good mileage though:excuseme: The best mod to increase power will probably be the YZ cam. If you dont mind me asking why did you sell your YZ?

• juancy

Posted April 05, 2008 - 03:46 PM

my yz250 was inside my van when the van got stolen, I am sure the van was stolen because the bike could be seing from the outside.As of the trottle stop I replace it with the yz450.

• redswr

Posted April 05, 2008 - 04:03 PM

thats sucks about your last bike and van... along with doing those mods take the baffle out of the pipe also. it makes a big difference on performance.

• sts475

Posted April 05, 2008 - 04:15 PM

Dude,

Make the mods and then re-evaluate. You will find a very different motorcycle. Also, the wr takes a long time to break everything in.
Trans, suspension etc. So ride it awhile and then make changes. I had problems adjusting to mine at first but have recently made
friends with it again and it's great! It will never be as nimble or as quick hitting as a two stroke so forget that. It will be more forgiving and
more fun to ride most of the time. After you make the mods, it will haul ass pretty good. It's a great bike, just give it a chance......

Good Luck!

STS

I received my new wr450 this week, after 18 years of riding 2 strokes I am concerned about my decision.To tell you the truth I am afraid of not liking the bike. I just ride it for a few minutes and I got the impression that the yz250 is a lot faster that the wr.I am planing on doing the ais removal, gray wire, Dr.D full exhaust, jetting kit, allready remove the trottle stop.How the wr compare with this mods to a 2007 yz250 stock. I mostly ride trails and cross country. Any suggestion on another modification I should made? Thanks Juan

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 05, 2008 - 04:26 PM

Like smoke it going downhill? :thumbsup: Tell that to guys who switched from a wr450 to a yz250. A YZ450 will barely smoke a yz250. Your talking about a bike that feels like a 125 could beat it in a drag. The Wr stock is painfully so, worse than a crf-x, it will take a buch of mods to get the thing close to a yz.

To the OP, if you were looking to replace your YZ with something superior the WR aint it. The 450 may be smoother but its much heavier slower revving and down on HP. Gets good mileage though:excuseme: The best mod to increase power will probably be the YZ cam. If you dont mind me asking why did you sell your YZ?

No, just smoke it. :thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted April 05, 2008 - 09:33 PM

Look at the name and watch out for the troll potential here folks. And you know what they say about opinions :thumbsup:...SC

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 06, 2008 - 04:58 AM

Good lookin' out SC.......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted April 06, 2008 - 05:48 AM

Only thing to say here to all the 2 stroke hold outs, is you better buy up lots of parts to keep the old 2 stroke running. The fact that they are going away is not the 4 stroke riders fault. I don't understand the reluctance to spend the energy getting informed to the way things will be, instead of keeping the complaining level up :thumbsup: . Yes 2 strokes are cheaper to repair but if you maintain the bikes equally the 4 stroke will last much longer. 2 stokes are lighter, but if the 4 stroke is a bit much bike for you , it's a good excuse to get your butt into better shape. If you prefer 2 strokes stick with them till the end, we will still help you guys out when you are forced to either change or quit a sport that we all supposedly love, over an engine choice!?! :thumbsup: Very playground way of thinking IMHO. To Jauncy, I (like most TT'rs) rode 2 strokes my whole life till '02 when I bought my first 4t hoping I would be happy, give the bike a chance to impress you, do the mods to open it up (all the 4t's need the mods) and I think you will find that you will be just as fast as you were before. The slower reving 4 stroke has much more torque and you are going faster than it sounds or feels lke at first. WR Dave.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 06, 2008 - 09:10 AM

I actually have both. You really need to do the proper mods on the wr450 so you can understand the advantages. The advantages of the wr450 over the yz250 are as follows:

Advantages:
Impressive low end power and gearing for climbing hills
Smooth power makes it easier when you need lots of clutch work
Heavier bike makes for a much smoother ride on the trails
E-start
Bullet proof engine. Oil and gas is all you'll need to do.
Gearing is much, much better for trail riding. Its a wide ratio

Disadvantages:
Heavy, heavy, heavy. You will notice a huge difference in weight
Slow reving engine is not as peppy as a smoker. Get a pipe to fix this. It may seem like you aren't going that fast, but you really are.
Stock pipe sucks, get a new one ASAP.
Engine braking is a bit much.

Each bike is great, but the 2 strokes are a lot lighter.

To say that any one of them is better than the other is impossible. It all depends on how you ride.

Suspensions are the same, you'll have to get them setup for you/

• lee_mickie yz 400

Posted April 06, 2008 - 09:15 AM

dude no way i have a yz 400 board to a 426 white brothers pipe hot cams i have it all and i race the 450 class and smoke the 2 strokes they cant handle a 4 stroke!

• juancy

Posted April 06, 2008 - 09:28 AM

Thank's to you all.I am definetily giving a chance to the bike. My decision to get the wr was base mostly that a few months back I rode a ktm 525mxc of a friend of mine an I notice I was less tired (riding more relax) at the same speed.I am very happy that I found this forum, very informative. Thanks again Juan

• 2strokenut

Posted April 06, 2008 - 10:57 AM

Look at the name and watch out for the troll potential here folks. And you know what they say about opinions :confused:...SC

Haha I ain't no troll. I'm entitled to my opinion the same as a 60 year old that cant ride anything but a thumper. Oh and BTW, I used to be a thumper guy, dont tell anyone though shhhh

Only thing to say here to all the 2 stroke hold outs, is you better buy up lots of parts to keep the old 2 stroke running. The fact that they are going away is not the 4 stroke riders fault. I don't understand the reluctance to spend the energy getting informed to the way things will be, instead of keeping the complaining level up :thumbsup: . Yes 2 strokes are cheaper to repair but if you maintain the bikes equally the 4 stroke will last much longer. 2 stokes are lighter, but if the 4 stroke is a bit much bike for you , it's a good excuse to get your butt into better shape. If you prefer 2 strokes stick with them till the end, we will still help you guys out when you are forced to either change or quit a sport that we all supposedly love, over an engine choice!?! :thumbsup: Very playground way of thinking IMHO. To Jauncy, I (like most TT'rs) rode 2 strokes my whole life till '02 when I bought my first 4t hoping I would be happy, give the bike a chance to impress you, do the mods to open it up (all the 4t's need the mods) and I think you will find that you will be just as fast as you were before. The slower reving 4 stroke has much more torque and you are going faster than it sounds or feels lke at first. WR Dave.

So much kool-aid in this post it ain't even funny, but it is :ride:

Stock up on parts? Oh like when I needed to buy parts for my old 1971 ts185 most parts were still being made! You talk about getting informed lol, the way things are gonna be? Are you saying you ride a thumper because your getting used to how things are gonna be? This is hilarious, when your too old to ride in a few years people will continue to buy 2-strokes because they are a better machine for a lot of people. You cant deny the advantages and disadvanttages of both but saying we need to conform and buy a 4-stroke is ridiculous. Also, I need to get in better shape to ride a thumper? :D x100000000000 Thumpers ARE for riders who aren't in shape. Its takes a lot of work to ride a 2-stroke, the heavy weight of the thumper is just an inconvienience I dont want and neither do many riders. I have ridden many thumpers and my father had a wr400. I drank the kool-aid for a while, I remember when the yz250f came out I thought "this is the future, what a sick bike blah blah blah" Until I realized how dumb that thinking was. The thumpers are great bikes, but NOT FOR EVERYONE and certainly not good enough to be the bike of the future, gosh I just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about that terrible day. I'm fine with a good mix of both, just as long as we have a CHOICE:thumbsup:

I actually have both. You really need to do the proper mods on the wr450 so you can understand the advantages. The advantages of the wr450 over the yz250 are as follows:

Advantages:
Impressive low end power and gearing for climbing hills
Smooth power makes it easier when you need lots of clutch work
Heavier bike makes for a much smoother ride on the trails
E-start
Bullet proof engine. Oil and gas is all you'll need to do.
Gearing is much, much better for trail riding. Its a wide ratio

Disadvantages:
Heavy, heavy, heavy. You will notice a huge difference in weight
Slow reving engine is not as peppy as a smoker. Get a pipe to fix this. It may seem like you aren't going that fast, but you really are.
Stock pipe sucks, get a new one ASAP.
Engine braking is a bit much.

Each bike is great, but the 2 strokes are a lot lighter.

To say that any one of them is better than the other is impossible. It all depends on how you ride.

Suspensions are the same, you'll have to get them setup for you/

Great post but I never said anything about the yz being BETTER. Both are good for certain people.

dude no way i have a yz 400 board to a 426 white brothers pipe hot cams i have it all and i race the 450 class and smoke the 2 strokes they cant handle a 4 stroke!

Dude no way! Bra! You got a 400 board to a 426?! Dood that is sick! :ride:
Your right I cant handle the 4-strokes:bonk:

Thank's to you all.I am definetily giving a chance to the bike. My decision to get the wr was base mostly that a few months back I rode a ktm 525mxc of a friend of mine an I notice I was less tired (riding more relax) at the same speed.I am very happy that I found this forum, very informative. Thanks again Juan

Sorry to hear about your bike that sucks:foul: If you like the wr better and ride smoother and like it then good on you. I just dont like it when 4-stroke guys who either haven't ridden a 2t or are too out of shape to ride one say things like what have been said above. I like both and they have their place. This forum is for discussion and having only one side chiming in doesn't make it a discussion.

• WR_Dave

Posted April 06, 2008 - 03:33 PM

Sorry didn't notice earlier that you were a 23 yo that knows all, your sig. told me. I see you like KX's, they were the first ones to continue offering "Choices". My humble apologies.

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 06, 2008 - 04:15 PM

Sorry didn't notice earlier that you were a 23 yo that knows all, your sig. told me. I see you like KX's, they were the first ones to continue offering "Choices". My humble apologies.

He will realize one day that 99% of his elders WERE right:prof: ....until then....:thumbsup:

And the whole "in shape thing", I'm 35 and run 15-20 miles a week,ride at least once, on top of weight training. Just because someone is older than 23 and riding a four stroke, does not mean they are out of shape. :thumbsup:

• 2strokenut

Posted April 07, 2008 - 05:45 PM

Haha do I need to embarrass you by listing all the bikes I've owned? lol How about address some real points instead of reminding me I'm 23?

Who cares what kawasaki does? I'm not brand loyal and call myself KX_todd. I like whatever bike I can get a good deal on, and the kawis were always cheap:excuseme:.

He will realize one day that 99% of his elders WERE right:prof: ....until then....:thumbsup:

And the whole "in shape thing", I'm 35 and run 15-20 miles a week,ride at least once, on top of weight training. Just because someone is older than 23 and riding a four stroke, does not mean they are out of shape. :thumbsup:

:confused: this is hilarious, because your 35 you automatically think riding a wr450 or 4-strokes is the future and know better? WOw I hope I am as wise as you guys when Im 35:bonk:

I never said you were out of shape but it is COMMON knowledge that older folks who are out of shape ride thumpers cause its easier. If you are as in shape as you say then great! You can move that extra weight around:excuseme: Have fun in the meantime:thumbsup:

• camarobutcher

Posted April 07, 2008 - 06:38 PM

And you know what they say about opinions :thumbsup:...SC

There like a**holes. Everyone's got one.

• Alaska

Posted April 07, 2008 - 06:43 PM

souds like 2stokenut has a bit of an inferiority complex.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.