Oil pressure/decompressor question

3 replies to this topic
  • 94xr650lguy

Posted April 04, 2008 - 04:23 PM

Hello all, new guy here with my first post. I just finished rebuilding my XR650l. I took it down to splitting the cases to replace the countershaft, and now that its back together and in the frame, I spent a good while turning the engine over with a wrench and also spun the engine over for a while with the electric starter and no oil showed in the oil filter cavity. Does it just take a while for oil pressure to build after a completer rebuild? Also, I removed my decompressor from the cam because I suspected it was not working and only making noise. Has anyone else done this? I'm wondering if that may have been a mistake.

Thanks,
94xr650lguy

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 05, 2008 - 04:53 PM

You need to prime the oil pump on these beasties.

You need to either pull the clutch cover off and fill the pump, or one fellow was able to use a little compressed air into the resevoir to gently force some oil into the pump.

Hey, I wonder if you could tip the bike over to the right and full the sump via the check-plug on the left-hand case?

I think there may also be an oil passage in the cam that needs to be plugged or restricted if you pull the decompressor- not 100% on that, but I recall it being discussed.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • asf

Posted April 05, 2008 - 05:12 PM

I filled up a syringe with oil, and ran a piece of clear tube from the syringe to the oil feed line, and pumped it full of oil until I saw it come out the filter assembly. You can find a hand pump or syringe from the auto store for about $3.

Most say theirs primed no problem, but none of the other tricks worked for me. It should pick up after 30 seconds of running, but that's a risky proposition to me.

For all I know I was going to be that 1/100 that siezed a piston on the first ride...
:thumbsup:

• 94xr650lguy

Posted April 06, 2008 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I did tip it over side to side for a bit and that seemed to do the trick. I had a good amount of assembly lube on everything so I was'nt too worried about pressure at initial start-up. I checked it after about 30 seconds and everything was good :thumbsup: . I was concerned that the electric start would'nt have enough oomph to spin a fresh motor without the auto-decompressor, but it cranked right up. Yup, I did plug that exposed oil hloe on the cam, no need in letting lube just spray around for nuthin'. Looks like it's (FINALLY) time to ride.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.