426 oil change questions

5 replies to this topic
  • adam112

Posted April 04, 2008 - 10:48 AM

i just bought an 01 yz426f and I want to change oil. I looked at the manual online and it said to remove skidplate and clean some strainer. Does this really need to be done everytime?
Also, do I have to loosen a bolt somewhere to see if oil comes out?
I was just planing on removing the plugs under the motor, behind the front tire and the filter cover.

• jayh300

Posted April 04, 2008 - 11:28 AM

i cleaned that strainer on mine when i first got it. You have to remove the skid plate that is right below the frame drain bolt. The strainer screws in to the botom of the oil tank. I have read you only need to clean that after an engine failure. Have no idea about the bolt thing, that sounds like a 2 stroke thing.. Be careful on the oil filter housing cover and do not remove the bottom bolt until last and after the oil drains out. Some shavings will come out with the oil and get in that bolt hole if you pull it first. I think the manual says to start it and run for a few seconds before draining. Mine also calls for 1.7qts, but i never get that much back in. check the oil with the dipstick not screwed in.
have fun
jay

• Slowmotion426

Posted April 04, 2008 - 11:49 AM

The 'bolt thing' you guys are talking about is called the OIL GALLERY BOLT. It's on the side of the head- you can see it easily as an oil line leads to it. After changing your oil, fire up the bike and quickly break open the OIL GALLERY BOLT using I believe a 10mm wrench. Oil should start seeping out-this indicates that your oil pump is working and has sufficient oil in it. (If no oil seeps out within a minute of running, shut the bike off and make sure you put the oil filter in correctly and have added enough oil). Turn the bolt back closed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted April 04, 2008 - 11:57 AM

guess i have always missed that little step........
prolly need to re-read the process.
sorry
jay

• adam112

Posted April 04, 2008 - 12:03 PM

thanks guys! i was going to let the bike warm up for a few minutes before changing the oil. Which bolt on the oil line do I loosen? There are 3 of them.

Also, after letting the bike run for a few minutes, how long do I wait before checking the oil?

Should I put in 1.5 quarts and fill after checking so I don't overfill?

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2008 - 02:02 PM

i just bought an 01 yz426f and I want to change oil. I looked at the manual online and it said to remove skidplate and clean some strainer. Does this really need to be done everytime?

No. It's a good idea to check the feed oil screen once when you first get the bike, and in th eevent that there is ever any major engine work done, or a lot of debris in the oil due to a failure of some kind. Otherwise, there's no point in it.

Also, do I have to loosen a bolt somewhere to see if oil comes out?

You don't have to, but you can. Adjacent to the top fitting of the external oil line at the head, you may find a small bolt drilled into the head for this purpose. If you don't see it, use the oil line fitting itself.

I was just planing on removing the plugs under the motor, behind the front tire and the filter cover.

That's all I ever do.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.