Looking for advice on an 06 or 07

11 replies to this topic
  • CaGasser

Posted April 03, 2008 - 03:50 PM

I'm new to the yz world. I rode a buddys 07 450F last week end & I loved it so much I am now going to buy one. I am buying used & I am seeing some good buys on 06 bikes but have read where there is some handling diff. and power diff. from the 06 to the 07. I really liked the power on the 07 (the bike was jetted & had a AM pipe) the power was very smooth & the suspension seemed perfect. So if there is a noticeable diff. between the 07 & 06 I will wait or pay a bit more for the 07. I'm looking at an 06 with race tech re-valve, carb mod. & AM exhaust & applied trip. clamp that has the 07 off-set. So I'm guessing that the handling of that 06 would be on par with the 07 ?? & but I'm not sure about how that 06 will put the power to ground. Any advice will do.
Thanks

• Racer808

Posted April 03, 2008 - 05:05 PM

I'm new to the yz world. I rode a buddys 07 450F last week end & I loved it so much I am now going to buy one. I am buying used & I am seeing some good buys on 06 bikes but have read where there is some handling diff. and power diff. from the 06 to the 07. I really liked the power on the 07 (the bike was jetted & had a AM pipe) the power was very smooth & the suspension seemed perfect. So if there is a noticeable diff. between the 07 & 06 I will wait or pay a bit more for the 07. I'm looking at an 06 with race tech re-valve, carb mod. & AM exhaust & applied trip. clamp that has the 07 off-set. So I'm guessing that the handling of that 06 would be on par with the 07 ?? & but I'm not sure about how that 06 will put the power to ground. Any advice will do.
Thanks

The 06 450 was much more powerful then the 07. I dont know about handling, but have heard it handled better then the 07. Price would probably be what makes my decision to be honest. However, truth be told, I will never buy a used bike again, especially used race bikes. even if the engine is good I find everything else to be sacked out. If you are already close to paying 5 grand or more for said used bike, I would just use that as a down payment and get yourself a new left over 07 or 08. All that after market stuff on used bikes is useless if its been raced half to death.

• KJ790

Posted April 03, 2008 - 05:20 PM

The 06 and 07 are pretty much the same. The biggest difference was the exhaust, which accounted for most of the different power characteristics of the bikes (very minor). If you have an after market pipe on either one they will run pretty much the same.

• minidad

Posted April 03, 2008 - 06:03 PM

We just got a used 06 from a guy that hurt himself on it (50th year yellow) with no mods. It still had the original tires on it that were barely worn. Took it to the track and let a guy ride it that has an 08 so I could get an opinion of the bikes power and handling. He said it was way faster then his 08 but the front end pushed real bad in corners. We will change the front tire before the next time we go out, I have heard that the stock front tire sucks. If you take your time and are careful you can get a good used four stroke

• CaGasser

Posted April 03, 2008 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the replies....The 06 I'm looking at has less then 9hrs. on it. A friend of a friend is selling it & the 06 had an hr meter put on it when it was brand new. The bike is selling for 4800 it was bought in 07 tricked out & never rode the guy who's selling it has a great rep. & takes care of his toys. So I feel good about that. I agree that for around less than 1200 more I could be on a brand new 07 but then I would prolly spend 1000 on pipe & jetting. What I don't want is for the 06 to be much different than that 07 I rode. I was in MC heaven on that 07!!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2008 - 06:33 PM

The 06 450 was much more powerful then the 07.

Not according to a dyno. There's about a one HP difference. The '06 has less peak power, but more low/mid. The '07 feels more like you have to keep the revs up, the '06 has usable grunt. Both are excellent, both are smooth and linear, but the '06 pulls a little harder a little sooner. Very small difference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted April 03, 2008 - 07:59 PM

My 06 has 22mm RG3 clamps and that seemd to help with the steering problem. I had been running a Dunlop 756 front tire for a long time but it felt like I was riding on a pizza cutter. I just got a Dunlop 742FA and boy is it loads better than the 756. My friend had a bone stock 2006 yz450f and he said that when he changed his front from the stock 739 to the 742FA it improved his turning as well.

• Slinkyman16

Posted April 03, 2008 - 08:11 PM

anyone who has the stock front tire needs to throw it in the trash (or keep it for a good throwaway tire when riding in rocks) also half the turning problems are due to ride placement. it all takes seat time to get used to it tho.. i have an 07 and love it. took me a few rides to get used to where i need to be on the bike but i dont have a problem with the turning.

the 07s have a nice and smooth powerband that dosnt rip your arms out of your socket but does produce fast lap times.
josh

• Aka.Goose

Posted April 03, 2008 - 08:24 PM

I'm suprised at the amount of posts asking which YZ is best between 06, 07, and 08...And I'm sure GR could put together a long list of changes they've made between them, but I believe they're all pretty minimal...The 06 has a little more bottom end than the 07, easily fixed with an aftermarket pipe...The 08 handles slightly better than the 07 in hard turns, if you can notice this difference (I couldn't) throw on some 24mm offset clamps and a good tire...
All in all, they're great bikes, just buy the best one you can afford...And if you don't race, I'd say save some bucks and opt for the 07...And try to stay away from used dirt bikes if possible, there's always something...

• Justin89

Posted April 04, 2008 - 08:13 AM

I'm suprised at the amount of posts asking which YZ is best between 06, 07, and 08...And I'm sure GR could put together a long list of changes they've made between them, but I believe they're all pretty minimal...The 06 has a little more bottom end than the 07, easily fixed with an aftermarket pipe...The 08 handles slightly better than the 07 in hard turns, if you can notice this difference (I couldn't) throw on some 24mm offset clamps and a good tire...
All in all, they're great bikes, just buy the best one you can afford...And if you don't race, I'd say save some bucks and opt for the 07...And try to stay away from used dirt bikes if possible, there's always something...

I agree...:prof:

• steve_97060

Posted April 04, 2008 - 09:54 AM

I have my forks raised on my 06, then got a new tire (MS3), then added the DRD pipe and radiator lowering kit. each change I made improved the steering slightly... My bike now turns worlds better, I can take an inside line without worrying about washout, or I can rail a berm or rut without having that sensation that at any moment it wants to stand up and ride over the top..

The front end feels much more planted and stable now, I was considering getting Pro Taper clamps, but I don't think I need them now......

• biznet1

Posted April 04, 2008 - 10:37 AM

I traded my 07 KX250 for the 06YZf anniversary. This bike fits me well and it's nice to feel comfortable with Yamaha's reliability. It's a great choice.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.