Front tire?'s

28 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted April 08, 2008 - 11:41 AM

I'm running a maxxis si in the front. So far so good!

• willy_fitz

Posted April 08, 2008 - 04:35 PM

I wil be using M-12's with tireballs for the harescramble series here in Ontario Canada

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 09, 2008 - 08:27 AM

I’m in the same boat looking for a front tire, I’m still running the Dunlop 739. The 742FA is supposed to be “better” then the 739.

But, in a recent issue of motocross action in a MX450 shoot out they dogged on the 742FA. the 742FA is the standard front tire on all but 2 of the bikes they tested. And they dogged harder on the older 742 (it was on the RM) and gave a back handed compliment to the Bridgstone’s on the KTM.

Im just now pulling off a 742FA from my 06 and I F*N hate this tire. Once the knobs slightly rounded off, it has no cornering grip and skates on every surface. I'll never buy another one of these POS tires.

Im putting a 952 on front.

My terrain is everthing from sand to rock, pea gravel, mud, etc, offroad mountain stuff.

The 952 PWNS this type of mixed terrain on the rear. Im experimenting between a 120 and 110 now after reading MXAs tech suggestion. The 110 is much rounder (skinnier) so I hope that helps with turning as most of my tough trails involve tight turns and quick changes moreso than straightline shenanigans.

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 09, 2008 - 12:06 PM

Im just now pulling off a 742FA from my 06 and I F*N hate this tire. Once the knobs slightly rounded off, it has no cornering grip and skates on every surface. I'll never buy another one of these POS tires.

Im putting a 952 on front.

My terrain is everthing from sand to rock, pea gravel, mud, etc, offroad mountain stuff.

The 952 PWNS this type of mixed terrain on the rear. Im experimenting between a 120 and 110 now after reading MXAs tech suggestion. The 110 is much rounder (skinnier) so I hope that helps with turning as most of my tough trails involve tight turns and quick changes moreso than straightline shenanigans.

Once I got my sag good… the 739FA hasn’t done anything real scary. But I think I’m going to go with a kenda sticky compound front tire. They work great on my mountain bike :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dugabrams

Posted April 09, 2008 - 12:11 PM

The 739 is dangerous and slippery. Don't even wait until it wears out. Get rid of it.

I ride in socal and use the D756. I like a somewhat sticky front.

+1

I also like the Pireli Scorpion Pro

• C-P

Posted April 09, 2008 - 05:53 PM

I immediately ditched my stock 739 front for a 756. Will replace the '56s when they're done with Mich S12 for MN singletrack.

• fundgh

Posted April 10, 2008 - 08:31 AM

My YZ-f is plated and I am going to be running a Michelin AC-10 in the rear (Only DOT 19" I could find) but not sure about the front. It has a 756 on it now, but any ideas what I should replace it with? The bike will stand to see a bit of pavement miles and hard fire road type dirt.

• dugabrams

Posted April 10, 2008 - 11:10 AM

My YZ-f is plated and I am going to be running a Michelin AC-10 in the rear (Only DOT 19" I could find) but not sure about the front. It has a 756 on it now, but any ideas what I should replace it with? The bike will stand to see a bit of pavement miles and hard fire road type dirt.

If you need DOT, grab a Pirelli Scorpion Pro. It will perform like the 756 in the soft stuff and has a harder compound so it will do ok on pavement. If you can, increase psi to mid 20's when you hit blacktop.

• BASSic

Posted April 11, 2008 - 01:45 PM

I'm running a 739 front and 952 rear. I've been very happy with the 952 rear in the rocks/roots/ruts/mud in the Northeast.

My front end nearly washed out a few times last weekend in the soft mud and I thought I was going down, but that was partly due to the fact that I was low on air. I increased the pressure to around 12psi and it was better but still not very comfortable. I just ordered a 756 so I'll see if that performs as good as people around here say.

I was considering the Maxxis SI for the front, but figured I'd go with Dunlop all around for now. When these wear out, I'll try a Maxcross IT rear and SI front.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.