Front tire?'s

28 replies to this topic
  • BigBelly

Posted April 03, 2008 - 08:40 AM

I've been reading many posts about front tires and was wondering what fellow WR owners are running. I've changed to a Bridgestone 602 rear but have yet to change the front. I'm starting to believe all the stories about the stock 739. I ride mostly hard terrain. Carnegie, GT, Foresthill, Stony, etc..

Anyway, any input is welcomed.

Thanks.

• Mutu

Posted April 03, 2008 - 08:53 AM

I used to run dunlop 952 front, but now im trying a dunlop 745.
So far, I like it! I run mostly gravel tracks and harder stuff.

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 03, 2008 - 09:56 AM

I’m in the same boat looking for a front tire, I’m still running the Dunlop 739. The 742FA is supposed to be “better” then the 739.

But, in a recent issue of motocross action in a MX450 shoot out they dogged on the 742FA. the 742FA is the standard front tire on all but 2 of the bikes they tested. And they dogged harder on the older 742 (it was on the RM) and gave a back handed compliment to the Bridgstone’s on the KTM.

• BigBelly

Posted April 03, 2008 - 10:06 AM

What about the Michellin Starcross or the M-12? Anybody a fan of these tires? I used to run the Starcross' on my old two-smokes but was told a thumper would eat'em up...

• KennyMc

Posted April 03, 2008 - 12:05 PM

I'm going to be trying the Pirelli MT18 HD. I ride mainly in the desert and rocky stuff.

• redswr

Posted April 03, 2008 - 12:37 PM

i went to the Maxxis Maxxicross IT's and loved them during the 6 hour race i did that had every type of terrain you could imagine.

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 03, 2008 - 03:15 PM

Michellin M-12's work great and wear well. Compared to the stockers, it's night and day.

• dirtysouth

Posted April 03, 2008 - 03:56 PM

What he said Michelin. Or...Kenda 760's. I cannot complain other than the wear. Just means that I will have to buy another new one sooner and guess what...I like new ones better anyway! BTW they are dirt cheap

• Appalachian DR

Posted April 04, 2008 - 02:34 AM

Kenda K776 enduro dot knobby. I can't believe it's a dot tire. Cheap and sticks everywhere.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted April 04, 2008 - 08:27 AM

Michellin M-12's work great and wear well. Compared to the stockers, it's night and day.

I used to swear by Maxxis Desert IT's in front and rear, but I switched to a M-12 up front and kept the IT in the rear and I love the way the M-12 feels in the turns, but I got a pinch flat already with the M-12.
So I am kinda thinking I may go back to the IT in front because of the stiffer sidewall. :bonk:

........... bahhh :prof:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted April 04, 2008 - 08:53 AM

I used to swear by Maxxis Desert IT's in front and rear, but I switched to a M-12 up front and kept the IT in the rear and I love the way the M-12 feels in the turns, but I got a pinch flat already with the M-12.
So I am kinda thinking I may go back to the IT in front because of the stiffer sidewall. :bonk:

........... bahhh :prof:

I had the desert IT in front. Didn't handle the softer stuff all that well. I have heard good things about the Pirelli MT18 HD. I picked it up today and will give it a try. Can't stand those :confused: pinch flats.

• simica

Posted April 04, 2008 - 07:19 PM

The Dunlop 756 has been my front and rear tire of choice for the last couple of years. I'll admit I haven't tried some of the others, but the stock 739 is garbage. I also like the 752 for the rear for sandy or loamy conditions.

• trailrider121

Posted April 04, 2008 - 08:35 PM

I had the desert IT in front. Didn't handle the softer stuff all that well. I have heard good things about the Pirelli MT18 HD. I picked it up today and will give it a try. Can't stand those :bonk: pinch flats.

I found this post from motomedx :confused: . This is the best thing I done for flats, I can run lower pressure without any worries. It works so well.

Stop pinch flats :prof:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A desert racing friend of mine and 20 year motorcycle mechanic actually gave me this cheap fix.

Take an old inner tube of the same size and cut out the center strip about 3/4 inch, the area that would meet the rim band. Then take the remaining piece of inner tube and wrap it around the good tube evenly. Install both tubes together inside the tire.

What this does is prevent the tire sidewall from pinching the good tube causing a slice. Rubber pinching rubber won't cut the good tube when you hit a rock or g-out, compressing the side wall.

I have never had to finish a race with a flat since doing this and its cheaper and lighter than thick tubes or moose type tubes. Give it a try you wont be sorry.

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted April 05, 2008 - 05:32 AM

I found this post from motomedx :bonk: . This is the best thing I done for flats, I can run lower pressure without any worries. It works so well.

Stop pinch flats :prof:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A desert racing friend of mine and 20 year motorcycle mechanic actually gave me this cheap fix.

Take an old inner tube of the same size and cut out the center strip about 3/4 inch, the area that would meet the rim band. Then take the remaining piece of inner tube and wrap it around the good tube evenly. Install both tubes together inside the tire.

What this does is prevent the tire sidewall from pinching the good tube causing a slice. Rubber pinching rubber won't cut the good tube when you hit a rock or g-out, compressing the side wall.

I have never had to finish a race with a flat since doing this and its cheaper and lighter than thick tubes or moose type tubes. Give it a try you wont be sorry.

I've been doing this for a couple years and I have never had a pinch flat. I still run a Moose bib up front and a HD tube with this system in the rear.
Best front tire, IRC Volcanduro VE-35f or Dunlop 755. Jeff S

• Snap421

Posted April 07, 2008 - 09:56 AM

I run the Maxxis Desert IT on the rear and love it. I have been running the Maxxis on the front but a buddy has been raving about the Michelin Starcross MH3. Ordered that and am going to give it a try.

• Demo_Slug

Posted April 07, 2008 - 11:04 AM

I’m in the same boat looking for a front tire, I’m still running the Dunlop 739. The 742FA is supposed to be “better” then the 739.

But, in a recent issue of motocross action in a MX450 shoot out they dogged on the 742FA. the 742FA is the standard front tire on all but 2 of the bikes they tested. And they dogged harder on the older 742 (it was on the RM) and gave a back handed compliment to the Bridgstone’s on the KTM.

note to self:
the 08 WR has a 739FA and a 756 rear. and after adjusting my sag (less sag), the front end bites a lot better.

• WR450RICKO

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:11 PM

Pirelli Scorpion MXMH works great for me up front

• CORider63

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:22 PM

I switched to a Dunlop 756 front and love it. I have most of a season on it and it's still in very good condition. It seems to do well in a wide variety of conditions and I've never had it wash out in the loose stuff.

I've heard that the Scorpion Pro front doesn't work very well on wet/slick roots or rocks.

My stock 739 rear is nearly bald. I'm putting a 739 Desert Tire on this year, because I still had one. I'll try the Maxis IT on the rear next time.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 08, 2008 - 05:11 AM

The 739 is dangerous and slippery. Don't even wait until it wears out. Get rid of it.

I ride in socal and use the D756. I like a somewhat sticky front.

• bajarider08

Posted April 08, 2008 - 11:08 AM

I believe the stock WR tires are junk. I find the Maxxis IT to hook up much better in the rear, and provide more controlled turns up front with less wash out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.