Very stupid question, but what way do you tighten spokes?

22 replies to this topic
  • William1

Posted April 04, 2008 - 05:37 AM

I too, use the 'ping' method on old wheels. There is too much stiction in the spoke nipples on an old used wheel to have a spoke torque wrench be accurate. However, when I build a wheel myself, I use anti-seize on the spoke threads. I use the spoke torque wrench. It does do a better job than by ear. To do this on an old wheel, you would need to remove the spokes, chase them with a tap and die, anti-seize. Ugh, I need a nap!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2008 - 06:25 AM

when I build a wheel myself, I use anti-seize on the spoke threads. I use the spoke torque wrench. It does do a better job than by ear.

I use paraffin (from any grocery store, with the Mason jars). It's preferable to anti-sieze because there is no oil base to sneak into the wheel and attack the rim strip/tube/tire, and because it's a bit more temporary.

I will use a spoke torque wrench to get the spokes in the right range of tension, but even on a new wheel, I use tone to balance the tension. IMO, it's a more accurate indication of the actual tension on the spokes.

• William1

Posted April 04, 2008 - 08:04 AM

Gray, the paraffin idea is a good one. Also will 'seal' the spoke threads a little. Next wheel, I'll give that a go.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.