Picking the right flywheel weight

14 replies to this topic
  • Cadoewen

Posted April 02, 2008 - 11:27 AM

i have an 06 450F that im going to do some harescrambles and local motos with. i am going to ride/race motocross,harescrambles and tight woods equally. so i am setting my bike up for a compromise between them. my bike seems to stall realy easy in the tight woods and my area is full of nasty rocks logs fallen trees and boulders so that seems to amplify stalling. im looking at the drd flywheels but i dont know if i should go for the 4 6 or 8oz weights. i want to add some luggabillity on the mx track without making my bike rev a whole lot slower and add some stall resistance/traction in the woods any help is appreciated.

• KAS

Posted April 02, 2008 - 12:21 PM

I put a Steahly 9oz on my '07 450. I love it. The bike is way less high-strung off the bottom--it runs smoother without that jerky, chug-a-chug feeling (like its about ready to stall). Its much funner to ride in tighter trails now.

It did not tame down the overall acceleration of the bike one bit. I raced a GP event this last Sunday, wide open deep loam and the bike easily pulled through it, power wheelies, floating the front end up all the hills.

There's not one drawback to this mod from what I can tell.

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2008 - 12:59 PM

DRD doesn't make weighted flywheels for the '06 and later models. Get the GYT-R off-road (+9 oz). I use one for exactly what you want to do with your bike, and it works great.

• olelucky

Posted April 02, 2008 - 01:21 PM

Do you suggest the same 9oz. for a 2004 450?

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2008 - 03:00 PM

For the '04, I would use the DRD 8oz. The GYT-R off-road for that engine is not as heavy, and DRD has fantastic customer service.

• FLYIN400F

Posted April 02, 2008 - 03:57 PM

I tried the GYTR 9 oz on my 07 and love it,I ride tight eastern woods,mx and harescramble and it was the best 89.00 mod I ever tried

• Cadoewen

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:41 PM

thanks alot guys. thats exactly what was bothering me. i took the bike out last weekend and broke in some new trails it was borderline stalling all day. we have some EXTREMELY tight first gear sections and even though i added two teeth on the rear sprocket first gear was way too tall for most of it. ill get that 9 oz weight and i think ill grab a scotts damper too. id immagine it would work wonders in the rocks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cadoewen

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:43 PM

flyin400f where do you ride ?

• tnl

Posted April 02, 2008 - 08:45 PM

For the '04, I would use the DRD 8oz. The GYT-R off-road for that engine is not as heavy, and DRD has fantastic customer service.

Ditto on the customer service! I returned my 6oz for the 8oz with a quick return from them. Just had to pay the shipping but it was worth it for my 05!

• YZERIK

Posted April 02, 2008 - 09:40 PM

i got the 10oz on my 03`, never looked back since...

• gpr

Posted April 03, 2008 - 03:40 AM

Flyin
Where did you get the GYTR for $89 at? I am about to order one for my 07 as well.

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2008 - 06:11 AM

Where did you get the GYTR for $89 at?

TT OEM Parts. Call and ask for it.

• WB450

Posted April 03, 2008 - 07:20 AM

DRD doesn't make weighted flywheels for the '06 and later models. Get the GYT-R off-road (+9 oz). I use one for exactly what you want to do with your bike, and it works great.

+ ! :prof:

• olelucky

Posted April 03, 2008 - 02:01 PM

I see the flywheel at DRD are an exchange. does anyone switch back and forth? or is it that once you've gone weighted... you stay weighted. does anyone ever go back to the factory flywheel?

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2008 - 03:19 PM

I see the flywheel at DRD are an exchange. does anyone switch back and forth? or is it that once you've gone weighted... you stay weighted. does anyone ever go back to the factory flywheel?

Not back to the factory flywheel, but to a different weight (heavier). Charged my card for the full price plus core and shipped the same day. When I got the new one, I pulled mine off and sent it in. When it got there, they reversed everything but the shipping they paid for, again, on the same day.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.