charging while transporting

22 replies to this topic
  • pcmech2

Posted April 02, 2008 - 09:38 AM

ok i searched under idling, idling charging and idle charging to no avail. is there anything wrong as long as you are on the freeway, with the bike in the back of your truck idling w/ choke on (high revs/2000rpm) or chocke off 1400revs, in order to charge the battery for your ride? like if you let it run for 30 minutes - 1 hour on the way to your ride, that way you have a fresher battery? downsides? thanks in advance

• xr1million

Posted April 02, 2008 - 09:46 AM

I wouldnt do it...

Get a dc/ac inverter and stick a battery tender on it for the drive. I think that would be a bit safer.

• CORider63

Posted April 02, 2008 - 10:17 AM

I'm assuming there must be a reason that your bike can't go for 1 hour without having the battery charged.(?) :prof:

Sounds like it's time for a new battery or some troubleshooting.

• William1

Posted April 02, 2008 - 12:20 PM

Do you really want to waste an hour of your engines life, solely charging the battery? You could make up a cable and simply plug it in a power outlet on your truck and connect it to the bike while you are cruzin.

• pcmech2

Posted April 02, 2008 - 12:44 PM

i guess that makes a lot of sense, i had thought about that thanks for your time

• strych9

Posted April 02, 2008 - 05:26 PM

Do you need a converter? Couldnt you just run heavy guage wires(amplifier wire) from the truck's battery to the bikes battery, using the trucks altinator. you could make a outlet on the trucks bed and the bike, and add custom cord(jumpercables) while in transport. Or am i missing something? Could someone tap a trailer's power?

• pcmech2

Posted April 02, 2008 - 05:27 PM

i ilike your thinking, why complicate it, wait, how do you prevent overcharging/charge rate... etc

• strych9

Posted April 02, 2008 - 05:47 PM

i just skipped threw this link i found.

http://www.yuasabatt...tor_battery.asp

Id imagine if you fused the "new" cable off the battery, you would be all set. the artical in the link said 1.5 amps (on a charger over months at a time).
Dont Quote me, I havent finished my searchin/learnin

• RedBull420

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:02 PM

Get yourself a Tacoma, they have an AC plug in the bed of them :prof:

• strych9

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:20 PM

even with a invertet ac outlet, you would have convert back to dc, adding more equipment. Although i love ac outlets in trucks.(boss has built in air compressor that runs off the motor, and ac in his utility truck(mobile air tools kick ass)). But,I just cant see overcharging a battery in a hour. Ive let my car charge my street bike batteries threw jumper cables for atleast a half hour to an hour(while i did spring tuneups/clean ups). and they were not even close to half of a charge. Im interested in this, as id like to charge my bike in my trailer. Or I could pump my leg a few times to save this headach.lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted April 02, 2008 - 08:45 PM

Jumpering the battery to the truck battery is probably not a good idea since there will be no current limit and the charge rate could easily damage the battery. I have an inverter built into my enclosed trailer and use a battery tender while on the road. Much safer IMO.

• William1

Posted April 03, 2008 - 03:16 AM

i ilike your thinking, why complicate it, wait, how do you prevent overcharging/charge rate... etc

Your vehicle outputs a steady 14.5 volts, just like your bikes system does. On both vehicles, the voltage is kept constant, the current is varied according to need. You will not cook your battery.

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 03, 2008 - 04:49 AM

Your vehicle outputs a steady 14.5 volts, just like your bikes system does. On both vehicles, the voltage is kept constant, the current is varied according to need. You will not cook your battery.

Not exactly the case. Yes the voltage is regulated but not the current. Your bike has a maximum DC current capacity of about 2.5 amps but a car charging system will be something like 130 amps. If your bike battery is discharged significantly the internal resistance will be low. As a result the charge rate will initially be very high and will exceed the recommended charge rate. It will work in practice but may have an impact on the life of the battery.

• William1

Posted April 03, 2008 - 05:11 AM

Not exactly the case. Yes the voltage is regulated but not the current. Your bike has a maximum DC current capacity of about 2.5 amps but a car charging system will be something like 130 amps. If your bike battery is discharged significantly the internal resistance will be low. As a result the charge rate will initially be very high and will exceed the recommended charge rate. It will work in practice but may have an impact on the life of the battery.

You are completely correct. I was assuming (as I always do) that the battery was not dead but merely low, needing a topping off or a float charge.

• ncampion

Posted April 03, 2008 - 08:40 AM

Best to just keep a "float charger" hooked up to the bike in the garage when not riding, that way it's always topped up and ready to ride - or at least to start. I wired a plug in the side panel where I can just plug the the charger in when I park it.

• William1

Posted April 03, 2008 - 12:21 PM

Best to just keep a "float charger" hooked up to the bike in the garage when not riding, that way it's always topped up and ready to ride - or at least to start. I wired a plug in the side panel where I can just plug the the charger in when I park it.

I do the same. At least one day a week, I connect it up for 24 hours.

• Charles De Mar

Posted April 03, 2008 - 12:46 PM

there is an article in this months dirt rider magazine about batteries. Go buy it:thumbsup:

• strych9

Posted April 03, 2008 - 04:00 PM

unfortunatly my bike is kept in a storage unit without power, thats why charging on the go would be cool. what about putting a voltage regulator/rectifier inline from the car battery? Or just a 1.5 amp fuse to regulate the consumption of the bike battery?

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 03, 2008 - 06:22 PM

unfortunatly my bike is kept in a storage unit without power, thats why charging on the go would be cool. what about putting a voltage regulator/rectifier inline from the car battery? Or just a 1.5 amp fuse to regulate the consumption of the bike battery?

You could put a resistor inline to limit the current. Best solution buy a Battery Tender Jr. and then go to Walmart (or wherever) and buy a $20 ac inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet. Plug the inverter into the car and the Battery Tender into the inverter and you will have the best of both worlds. Also if your bike is going to sit for a long time remove the battery and use the Battery Tender on the battery at your home. Letting the battery sit discharged for a long period of time will damage it.

• dirtysouth

Posted April 03, 2008 - 06:44 PM

You could put a resistor inline to limit the current. Best solution buy a Battery Tender Jr. and then go to Walmart (or wherever) and buy a $20 ac inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet. Plug the inverter into the car and the Battery Tender into the inverter and you will have the best of both worlds. Also if your bike is going to sit for a long time remove the battery and use the Battery Tender on the battery at your home. Letting the battery sit discharged for a long period of time will damage it.

what he said

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.