The big seize-oni. Bronze-o-plenty in the oil filter

14 replies to this topic
  • corona52

Posted April 02, 2008 - 08:20 AM

So Ms. Piggy gave up on me two weeks ago. I asked several shops what they thought. CMS suggested, if I find bronze particles in the oil filter, then the main bearing let go. Well, it poured out like gold on the oil filter side, however the crankcase didn't dump anything suspect,furthermore it did not smell burnt. So is it time for a complete overhaul?

I'm thinking of sending her to Precision Concepts since I don't have the tools to split the cases. Furthermore I'm thinking of going with the HRC power up kit since it's probably going to need a complete rebuild. Any opinions on Precision Concepts?

XR'S Only sales/mechanic dude was trying to tell me the stock crank won't handle the HRC power up kit and that I should spend 5 G's with him to ensure a reliable ride. Oh, he claimed 75 hp too. I'm calling bs on 75 hp and even if it was true, my 50 hp 450 is just about all I could ever use. Anyways, I think 5 grand is a utter-rip-off.

Thanks for any input you may have

• dstark

Posted April 02, 2008 - 08:37 AM

Sorry to hear about your piggy, I'd say 5K is a bit much for my taste, unless you want to run in baja, you could just about buy a new bike for that. Pull the motor yourself and save a $$$.

• Kenzo

Posted April 02, 2008 - 08:50 AM

XR's Only salesguy must think ur a house cat...

...cause he's trying to screw u like ur one!

:prof:

• corona52

Posted April 02, 2008 - 09:41 AM

I don't have the tools to split the cases and P.C, doesn't charge for pulling the motor, so I don't really have a choice:banghead:

Do you guy's have an opinion on Precision Concepts? I know they have had a boat-load of some of the best offroad riders and that should speak for itself, but, they might be apathetic to the little guy.:prof:

• RipperFox

Posted April 02, 2008 - 10:27 AM

[quote name='corona52']I don't have the tools to split the cases and P.C, doesn't charge for pulling the motor, so I don't really have a choice:banghead: QUOTE]

Quick question. I havent looked at the shop manual yet. But I have rebuilt quite a few engines. Does the L or R take "special" tools to split the case/crank/bearings? Some of the Honda four wheelers do, some dont. Everything needs a different size flywheel puller, this I know. (Dont gots, but knows):prof:

• Suikerland

Posted April 02, 2008 - 01:51 PM

Do you guy's have an opinion on Precision Concepts? I know they have had a boat-load of some of the best offroad riders and that should speak for itself, but, they might be apathetic to the little guy.:prof:

my general rule when you're a little guy (esp. with low budget) dealing with any workshop - get a conversation/relationship going with the mechanic, show interest in what he's gonna do, ask him what the options are, tell him what yr concerns are.
Don't be anonymous, don't just check in the bike at the front desk and walk away.

I've never had anything done by PC but my guess is that they would do a decent job & guard their reputation, even with the little guy. :bonk:

• jclaus98

Posted April 02, 2008 - 03:06 PM

I'm on the same page with ripperfox; Corona, you don't need any special tools to split the cases bud. Only simple hand tools and the willingness NOT to spend a small fortune to have someone else do it for you. Sure, time and patience figure into the equation, but trust me, it'll be well worth your time. Once you've completed it, you'll have a feeling of accomplishment you can't get from dropping it off somewhere and picking it up in prestine condition. There are two or three special tools that would be helpful to have when removing the clutch basket and the crankshaft nut, but I can tell you I did everything with mine and had only my 350 peice set of crapman tools and a small air compressor to make sure things were clean when reassembling everything. And I had mine COMPLETELY apart. At any rate, good luck, however you decide to go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted April 02, 2008 - 04:38 PM

As I like to say, "Just nuts and bolts".

• corona52

Posted April 02, 2008 - 05:16 PM

Precicsion Concepts is quoting only $400.00 bucks for the labor. If that is really true, I may go for it as I just don't have time with a full time job and weekend touring muscian. If I'm not mistaken, the crank and rod assembly are about 8 bills. Does that sound right? Taking into cosideration that this bike has a good 25,000 miles on her, should I repalce the valves too?

• Thorndike

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:13 PM

I have had XR's Only Do two XR435cc motors for me and I have been extreemly happy with their work. Fredy is the owner and was very help full. Mike in service really knows XR's. I called a lot and ask lots of questions and took time getting to know everyone there before the work started.

I broke a rod in my 2nd motor ( they built it before I got the bike, I had then go through it 2 years before the rod broke) and destroyed it, so I bought a stock motor from a TT member. I took both motors to Mike at XR"s Only and we looked at both motors to see which one was better. The one with the broken rod was unuseable.

I put a big bore kit in, with a 10.5 comp piston, Falcon Rod (Mike says it's stronger than the Hot Rod that was in the other motor), 3 angle valve job (new guides & stainless valves), ported head. I also had them Use a new cam chain, oil pump and go through the trans to replace what was needed to make the motor like new.

They did this all in 10 days so I could make our yearly Kennedy Meadows ride. With all the work I think I spent less than 2500.00. That's a lot for me, BUT it's done right, runs stronger than my X600 and is very dependable.

I'm suprised that they would quote so much money without seeing your motor first. Without seeing it they could only be giving general guestmating.
I will be bring the XR600 motor to them this summer and have them do a rebuild on it. Don't know if I'll build it as far with as I did with the 400 motor, don't think I need to.

• martinfan30

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:15 PM

Curious, have you dyno'd the XR435?

• J_T

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:31 PM

Precicsion Concepts is quoting only $400.00 bucks for the labor. If that is really true, I may go for it as I just don't have time with a full time job and weekend touring muscian. If I'm not mistaken, the crank and rod assembly are about 8 bills. Does that sound right? Taking into cosideration that this bike has a good 25,000 miles on her, should I repalce the valves too?

I Didn't hear the cause of the seizure...low/lack of lubrication?

If the valve train is stock and 25K miles and you will have it apart...I'd do something if you want them to last as long as your rebuilt parts. at least replace the valves and hardware and let the Head get looked at..Esp if the seizure was due to lack of lubrication. Maybe take it further if you are going bigger as well.

Don't feel bad about not being able to do the work yourself. There are still parts you would have to take to someone to get them to do if you want it done right and to last longer than stock. separate the crank and press on new rod, honing the cylinder, valve job and head work if you go that route. and it'll probably get done sooner than you could do it if you work full time.

I've done it before on a different bike but it was an extra weekend dirt only bike I wasn't in a hurry for...but after completing it...I found it would have been done sooner and (probably better) If I didn't. I'm glad I did though

Didn't this time because I'm partial to this bike. :prof:

Barnums quoted me $3K for a complete rebuild, upgrade rod, head work, stainless steel valves and HD hardware, his cam as well as larger piston. 6 weeks turn around. (2 months ago)

I'm across the country so I didn't go that route. I kept it local to me.

I completely agree about getting to know the mechanic and get as involved as you can without pestering them and questioning their skills. They are proud and appear more conscious of their work if they are doing it for someone they know is interested appreciative and attentive to their skills.

Keep us posted!

• Thorndike

Posted April 02, 2008 - 07:12 PM

No I've never dynoed any of my 435cc motors. it would be fun to know. This last one runs really strong and crisp. I was on my X6 and my friend was riding my X4. He blue by me on a dry lake bed like I standing still. I was tucked in in 5th gear. I new the new motor was fast,but not how fast. Thats why I at least want to freshen up the 600.

The thing I like that XR's Only did was to help build a motor that would tractor in 1st and 2nd gear, haul butt in 5th gear, still be dependable and last a long time.

Most good shops can build good motors, you can also do it yourself. I think the trick is to figure out what you want, how your going to ride your bike and how much your willing to spend. All the XR's are such a good platforms to build on, it's hard to make a mistake.

• Thorndike

Posted April 02, 2008 - 07:18 PM

martinfan30 - I think I can come out to Freemont this weekend, I'll let you try it. I know that area very well.

• martinfan30

Posted April 02, 2008 - 08:52 PM

martinfan30 - I think I can come out to Freemont this weekend, I'll let you try it. I know that area very well.

Sweet! Be nice to have another pig rider out there. I'll Pm you with cell #.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.