lower stearing bearing removal for a 426?

5 replies to this topic
  • klxnewguy

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hey guys, I am replacing the bearings throughout my 426 and tonight I tried to remove the lower stearing bearings. Wow, it wouldn't move. I got the cage and rollers out but the washer and inside of the bearings are both beat up and won't move. Any tips on how to get it off?? Thanks!!:prof:

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:41 PM

If the bearing were still intact, there are actually specialized bearing plates that can be clamped in place to remove them. Being that the thing is now hacked to bits, the best way is to support the lower clamp in a press with a piece of thick tube or plate with a hole 1/8" larger than the stem, screw the crown nut on flush with the top thread to protect the threads, and press the stem down out of both the clamp and bearing at once.

Then, press the stem back in, and press the new bearing back on.

• klxnewguy

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:48 PM

Wow, sounds like I really jacked this thing up. How hard do you think it'll be to push the stem out? Sounds tough. Do you think I could take a dremel and cut it off? Thanks for the info!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:55 PM

It's easy to push the stem out if you have access to at least a 5 ton hydraulic press. Since none of my leftover bearing plates happen to fit the YZ steering bearings, that's my preferred method.

There's a wire ring on the stem to stop it from moving upward in the clamp. Be sure to allow clearance for this as the stem moves out of its bore, and support the clamp fully around the stem bore as close to the bore as possible.

• klxnewguy

Posted April 02, 2008 - 01:49 PM

Thanks guys, I ended up just taking it to the local shop, they poped it out in no more than 5 minutes and told me to bring it back when I'm ready to put on the new ones. Can't get that kind of service from an internet store!! Thanks guys, I'll post some pics when I'm all done with the bike.

• ivesy

Posted April 02, 2008 - 04:09 PM

I just had the same problem as you. I very carefully ground the inner bearing down with a die grinder then hit it with a chisel to crack it and pop it off.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.