Acerbis handguards

15 replies to this topic
  • kevinwr450f

Posted April 01, 2008 - 03:38 PM

Can someone post a pic of Acerbis Pro Ralley or similar handguards installed? I need to see what the grip cut looks like. I'm not sure how muh to take off. Thanks in advance.

• dazzabb

Posted April 01, 2008 - 05:23 PM

I didn't need to cut any length from the grips at all on either side of the bars - I just made sure they were glued and lockwired up hard.

http://i148.photobuc...bb/DSCN0882.jpg

• SXP

Posted April 01, 2008 - 06:17 PM

Can someone post a pic of Acerbis Pro Ralley or similar handguards installed? I need to see what the grip cut looks like. I'm not sure how muh to take off. Thanks in advance.

I can't think of a crappier product sold :prof: I've been through so many of them I've lost count. They always rotate and get distorted after a good crash. 3/5 times I end up with a broken lever.

Dig deep and spend the extra dough on the Cycra Pro Bends - they will pay for themselves in no time.

• resinlips

Posted April 01, 2008 - 06:28 PM

The grip end should be cut flush with the bar end. Seems to work with whatever hand gaurd brand. I have to back SXP on the Cycra quote but my Rally Pros did hold up pretty well on a few rocky get offs.

• dazzabb

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:29 PM

I can't think of a crappier product sold :bonk: I've been through so many of them I've lost count. They always rotate and get distorted after a good crash. 3/5 times I end up with a broken lever.

Dig deep and spend the extra dough on the Cycra Pro Bends - they will pay for themselves in no time.

I've had to bash them back around the bars on the odd occasion times - but I've never suffered a broken lever - but then again I don't crash that often :prof:

I do a lot of technical slower speed riding where the crash speed is far lower than the desert rats........

• Mark_NZ

Posted April 01, 2008 - 10:27 PM

They always rotate.....

every single ride I have to loosen mine off - point them in the right direction and tighten them back up again. its a PITA

• matt4x4

Posted April 02, 2008 - 03:43 AM

Just hollow out the closed end.
I haven't had any issues of mine moving except right after I got the bike, that's when I just took it all apart, cleaned all the parts, took my time installing them, changing the angle that the inner mount sits at (I believe I flipped it over too), this jammed them nicely into that relatively tight area between the bars and crossbar, now they don't move at all and I've put it through a few field tests.

• GCannon

Posted April 02, 2008 - 08:01 AM

I never cut any length off the grip. I only open up the hole in the end to the inside diameter of the grip surface.

Same with the throttle tube I use a unibit (sheet metaldrill bit) on the end of the tube to open it up to the same diameter as the inside of the tube.

Motion Pro makes a grip cutter which is kinda trick if money is no object.
http://www.dirtrider..._pro/index.html But I think a careful cut with a sharp exacto knife will do the same thing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kevinwr450f

Posted April 02, 2008 - 08:56 AM

I can't think of a crappier product sold :prof: I've been through so many of them I've lost count. They always rotate and get distorted after a good crash. 3/5 times I end up with a broken lever.

It's not a matter of "digging deep". I'm sure someone else will post in time how good they are. I've learned to take all advice like this with a grain of salt.....

• SXP

Posted April 02, 2008 - 10:01 AM

It's not a matter of "digging deep". I'm sure someone else will post in time how good they are. I've learned to take all advice like this with a grain of salt.....

Huh? I not sure what you are trying to say.

If you are taking exception to the "digging deep" part, then in no way was I implying you are cheap. On the contrary, I was passing on my own experience with the Acerbis Rally guards, and the fact that I could have bought a couple of the more expensive (and infinitely better IMHO) Cycras for the money spent on replacing the Acerbis.

I guess I just have to learn to shut my mouth:thumbsup:

• Appalachian DR

Posted April 02, 2008 - 02:21 PM

I've seen them fold up in the woods. They did fine on a gravel road slide on my old bike. Depends on the crash and/or where you ride.

• dirtysouth

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:20 PM

I have always left mine a little loose so that they dont break and more importantly, so I can knock them back around after they rotate. I mean, they are brush guards for the hands rather than lever guards and I cut my levers down anyway. Don't wanna break levers...ASV unbreakables. Additionally, I have found that the Acerbis guards give a little since they are not rigid steel which kinda dampens the forces placed on the bars when you clip a tree or whatever. Cycra equals bent bars sometimes. Just my 2 pennys.

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 03, 2008 - 03:20 PM

Huh? I not sure what you are trying to say.

If you are taking exception to the "digging deep" part, then in no way was I implying you are cheap. On the contrary, I was passing on my own experience with the Acerbis Rally guards, and the fact that I could have bought a couple of the more expensive (and infinitely better IMHO) Cycras for the money spent on replacing the Acerbis.

I guess I just have to learn to shut my mouth:thumbsup:

No sweat, I had just found out that the clamps that came with them were too small. 7/8 instead of 1 1/8 so I was kinda p!ssed.....

• Face plant

Posted April 07, 2008 - 08:22 PM

Easiest way i've found to cut your grip ends out is to put something solid, like a side-on hammer head or a piece of steel of some sort, Maybe even a piece of good hard wood, across the end of your bar and give it a whack or two with another hammer.
The end of the handlebar will act like a punch and cut a perfect sized hole in the end of the grip. Piece of cake.:thumbsup:

As far as the Acerbis handguards are concerned, I have 'em on my WR and yeah they tend to twist round the bars when you try to go underground but they've saved my knuckles and my levers a time or twelve

• juntini

Posted April 15, 2008 - 08:30 PM

The acerbis will work fine I've never had a pair break. That is if you get the rally pros with the metal inside. I've used them on every bike I've had. They can get twisted around in a hard crash. My biggest issue is it seems that I have to bend them around prior to install to get a good fit and have clearance around cables and levers. I can't speak to the cycra I'm sure they work great but I still keep goin back to acerbis. But then again I am cheap.
there you go I admit it. :thumbsup:

Also you have to buy another kit for fat bars. Mo money.

• TheBlackSheep

Posted April 16, 2008 - 11:45 AM

I can't think of a crappier product sold :ride: I've been through so many of them I've lost count. They always rotate and get distorted after a good crash. 3/5 times I end up with a broken lever.

+1. I hated my Acerbis. You can't go wrong with the Fastway system. The best in the world.

.......... bahhh :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.