New rear tire

17 replies to this topic
  • Rman of 237

Posted April 01, 2008 - 10:12 AM

Well kinda new. I've had it around for awhile. It's an IRC GP110R 5.10 that I put on the 440 when I need to get it inspected but the 650's stock Dunlap K850A 4.60 was getting pretty bare between the knobs. I couldn't have picked a better day to work on the bike, it being 86degs and sunny today.
Having fun with the new camera, thought I'd post some pics.
The IRC has a wider footprint than the Dunlap.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

This was the easiest bead I've broken in a long time. A complete contrast to when I picked up a nail on the TW last summer. That was the hardest bead I've ever broken in my life!! But that's another story.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Put the Slime to it and hope for the best...
Posted Image

leak checked and ready to install.
Posted Image

Took it for a quick spin down the highway and it rides great.
Posted Image

Feels a lot more solid than old "Baldy", that's for sure. It'll get the gravel test tomorrow.

Thanks for reading and I'll see ya down the road ,

Rman.......

• RipperFox

Posted April 01, 2008 - 10:35 AM

Dig your rack.

Where, what?

• Rman of 237

Posted April 01, 2008 - 10:57 AM

Dig your rack.

Where, what?

Whoa! Hi, I wasn't expecting such a fast reply.:prof:
Cycleracks.com on the rack. I have one on the 440 as well. Toughest rack made.
Posted Image

• Rman of 237

Posted April 01, 2008 - 11:36 AM

Dig your rack.

Where, what?

Hi RipperFox and thanks for the PM. I saw this rack on ADV a couple years ago and bought one for both my XRs. I have no affiliation whatsoever with this company but if you click on either the 400 or the 650 you'll see pics of my bikes. The guys name is Don and he didn't have up to date pics of the install on either bikes so I sent him some.:prof:

• RyanWilliamCantrell

Posted April 01, 2008 - 03:46 PM

I put a Tera-Flex on the rear ~ you want a bead that's tough to break?? There's your challenge.

• Huffa 2

Posted April 01, 2008 - 04:24 PM

A little overboard with the baby powder I'd say .......

:prof: 2 tire changes = one bottle ?

• martinfan30

Posted April 01, 2008 - 04:25 PM

A little overboard with the baby powder I'd say .......

:prof: 2 tire changes = one bottle ?

Is that a 2 girls one cup reference?

• Rman of 237

Posted April 02, 2008 - 10:16 PM

:confused: :ride: Yeah, I had a little problem with the baby powder. I keep the bottle sitting in the window of my tool shed and I guess the sun ate up the plastic. When I went to squeeze the bottle the little twisty thing with the holes in it blew off and half the bottle dumped out.:prof: Stupid.

I've read some doozies about changing Teraflexes in the field as well. :bonk: I think one was Big Dog over at ADV on his '06 TAT ride with Gaspipe. He's still ;) today.

• showtime45

Posted April 03, 2008 - 10:24 AM

Rman, The 5.10 fits OK ? No clearance issues?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted April 03, 2008 - 10:43 AM

I don't use anything but turtle wax tire shine as a lubricant when changing tires, works good and shines up the new skin too.

The Dunlop tires have a pretty stiff sidewall as compared to Kenda and Cheng Shin etc.

• Rman of 237

Posted April 03, 2008 - 02:09 PM

Rman, The 5.10 fits OK ? No clearance issues?

Hi showtime, funny you ask. I honestly thought the chain guard was gonna have to go. When I measured the tire before I installed it there was no way it would clear but after the tire was aired up the shape changed just enough for it to fit with no mods. Does that make sense?:prof: In other words the tire grew in length and narrow in width with air in it.
In most cases I could have cared less about the chain guard but since my nephews ride 2up sometimes I'm glad it still fits.:bonk:

Posted Image

• truck6driver

Posted April 03, 2008 - 05:50 PM

The Dunlop tires have a pretty stiff sidewall as compared to Kenda and Cheng Shin etc.

I don't know what Dunlop's you have but the 5.10 K270 Kenda is a 6 ply tire and has a alot stiffer side wall than any Dunlop I have mounted in the past. It is not a bad as the Terra Flex though.

RH

• showtime45

Posted April 04, 2008 - 04:12 AM

Thanks. That's nice to know. The IRC 4.50/4.60 looks kinda "scrawny" under my fender.

• sloughrider

Posted April 05, 2008 - 12:43 AM

about that baby powder, is it preferred to soapy water?

• HeadTrauma

Posted April 05, 2008 - 11:06 AM

Soapy water helps get the tire over the rim more easily, but talcum powder doesn't dry up and stop working. It can help prevent some pinch flats down the road.

• sloughrider

Posted April 05, 2008 - 11:16 AM

Soapy water helps get the tire over the rim more easily, but talcum powder doesn't dry up and stop working. It can help prevent some pinch flats down
thx, trauma, good to know.

• sloughrider

Posted April 05, 2008 - 08:54 PM

hey, just to let u know know i book marked your cycleracks.com as i see that as the next big thing i get. i can deliver 8 pizzas at a time with that!

• Rman of 237

Posted April 06, 2008 - 05:19 AM

hey, just to let u know know i book marked your cycleracks.com as i see that as the next big thing i get. i can deliver 8 pizzas at a time with that!

Among other things.:thumbsup:

Posted Image

Seriously though, I just strap the suitcase on it and go. It also provides a passenger great handholds on the sides. It looks kinda gangly at 1st but you get used to it. I've carried 3 50lb bags of feed on 'em at one time no problem. They're tough!!!

Posted Image

About the baby powder vs soapy water? It's a toss up, they both work fine. DO NOT EVER use grease!! You'll spin the tire and shear off the valve stem. Motosprtman mentioned using turtle wax, I've never used it but it should work great.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.