XR650L fork oil change?

2 replies to this topic
  • tfb4me

Posted April 01, 2008 - 05:14 AM

Hey I was thinking I will change out my fork oil before riding time is upon us!In my manual it says I have to remove the forks completely?:prof: Is this true? I was thinking I could just simply drain out the old oil and add new can I not? Also how much oil do I put in with replacing it only.I dont think it's a good idea to over fill.The manual also says the oil should 5.7 inches from the top of the fork tube.. Just lookin for imput as I have never changed the fork oil and im on year #2 for me owning the bike....Any advice is greatfull
Thanks guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:10 AM

You might be able to do it with the forks on the bike, but it is a lot easier if you take it apart. You need to move the forks to get all the oil out. If you are going to measure the fork oil height the fork needs to be vertical. Hard to do with the forks on the bike.

It's also potentially very messy. When you take the caps off and move the forks, the rebound oil comes out the top of the rod just under the cap. Usually in the perfect position to get oil on your shirt. Guess how I know.

The steering head bearings also need greasing if has never been done. Honda is usually really light on the grease.

• tfb4me

Posted April 01, 2008 - 02:47 PM

Great...!Are the steering head bearings hard to do? Sounds like I Have some work ahead of me...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.