Do the xrl's have the power?

6 replies to this topic
  • scotttco62

Posted April 01, 2008 - 04:49 AM

Had a conversation with a tech from Baja Designs, I was calling about getting my stator rewrapped, He told me the bike(94 xrl) had plenty of juice to run extra lights/bigger light. I had called because i wanted to put a hella 500 light i have on the there truth in those words? is it possible ? what more would i need besides the rigging of the actual light? any help appreciated..

• Motosprtman

Posted April 01, 2008 - 06:30 AM

Maybe the folks at Ricky Stator could be of help.

• cleonard

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:22 AM

I think that Honda specs the 650L stator as being good for 185 watts or so. You will no problem running a 100 watt headlight with the stock setup. If you go with a LED taillight up to 150 watts should work as well. Maybe even a little more. The CDI needs a few watts and you don't want to go over what the stator puts out or the battery will drain.

Unlike the 600R or 650R the 650L stator is already wound over all 12 poles. The other bikes only have lighting windings on 4 of the poles. That's why rewinding on the other bikes allows for so much more power. It's those empty stator poles. Nothing empty on the 650L so no rewinding necessary.

Perhaps someone with extra lighting or other high drain electrical devices will chime in with the actual capacity of the 650L. Don't know if the Honda number is high, low, or right on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • infsqdldr

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:09 AM

saw a high output stator on ebay, i asked if it put out 200W because thats what all the rest seemed to be putting out. they said it did. hadnt called to get more info because of my work schedule, and time diff. it was a canadian co. i wanted to run the baja designs twin 8" halogens, we got alot of moose up here, and grip heaters.

• RipperFox

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:18 AM

cLeonard - "Your kung fu is strong grasshopper"

• husky123

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:18 AM

The stock 650L stator is good for about 165 to 180 or so depending on who you ask.

Here's what I am running off my XRL:

-stock headlight, turns, brake light
-heated vest (45 watts full bore, no rheostat)
-heated over grips (23 watts)
-Garmin Quest (5 watts)

Anywho's an electrical wizard friend of mine hooked his Binford Laser Spectrometer Transducer Scanalyer 5000 up to the wires going out of the battery and wires going in to the battery...basically to tell which way the current was going and to deduce amps in and out. Here's what we found.

At idle (worse case scenario) and with everything running:

All my accessories were pulling 5 amps. The stator (again at idle) was charging 6 amps. Soooo, I had 1 amp to spare at idle charging the battery. Good piece of mind for me.

• scotttco62

Posted April 01, 2008 - 01:50 PM

I knew i could count on this crew to come thru with some answers...ill keep all posted on my "hella" of a bright ass light system...thanks again.

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.