Drove home my new XRL today!

20 replies to this topic
  • Memnok

Posted March 31, 2008 - 09:17 PM

Today I became the proud owner of a brand spankin’ new 2007 XR650L. Wow, is that thing big, and red, and piggish! Climbing to the seat causes my ears to pop. And it’s hard to tell if riding the thing is fun, or just mild hypoxia! Anyway, I’ll have to upload a photo when I get a chance to ride someplace nice (because those 07’s look so much different than all the previous years).

I have a question though. I have read all about the XRL running lean from the factory. How lean are they? Mine pings and sputters even when I give it a couple light revs during warm-up.

Clint

• redrider650

Posted March 31, 2008 - 11:40 PM

:prof: Congrats and get modding!

• sploogemonkey

Posted April 01, 2008 - 01:05 AM

Congrats on the new bike, and welcome aboard!

There are plenty of L owners around here who can answer just about any question you might have about getting your new toy running right.

Let the modding begin!

• jonr3

Posted April 01, 2008 - 03:03 AM

Today I became the proud owner of a brand spankin’ new 2007 XR650L. Wow, is that thing big, and red, and piggish! Climbing to the seat causes my ears to pop. And it’s hard to tell if riding the thing is fun, or just mild hypoxia! Anyway, I’ll have to upload a photo when I get a chance to ride someplace nice (because those 07’s look so much different than all the previous years).

I have a question though. I have read all about the XRL running lean from the factory. How lean are they? Mine pings and sputters even when I give it a couple light revs during warm-up.

Clint

Congrats! You'll love it and you'll soon get used to the nosebleeds from the altitude. Factory stock bikes run pretty lean. Remove the smog, do the airbox mods, do Dave's mods or a DJ kit, and it will make a world of difference!

• Bibleman

Posted April 01, 2008 - 04:27 AM

Congratulations! Lots of fun in your future. As all have said, do the simple mods and you'll be very happy.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 01, 2008 - 06:28 AM

in stock trim the hesistation your speak of is normal. Do the carb mods and the bikes gets really happy... and so will YOU!

• Memnok

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:51 AM

Thanks! Like I said, I have been reading up for a while, but was not prepared for just how much the exhaust was going to be pinging and popping. Sounds a bit like a Vw Bug to me! I thinks someone else said it sounded like running over baby chickens. :confused: If I can contain myself, I want to try and leave it stock till the 12 month warrantee runs it's course. Well see if I can hold out. :prof:

So what’s up with the Honda break-in instructions!!! "...avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration." That's all we get??? :bonk:

Clint

• RipperFox

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:56 AM

I am EXACTLY where you are now. 160 miles on a new XR650L. Wanting to wait until the warrenty is up prior to doing anything to the bike. If you are gonna ride it back and forth to work, and occationaly down a dirt road. Go with it. My bike is in the my garage right now, tank on a shelf, smog off, carb off, header pipe off. Could live with the performance anymore. I am used to riding Banshees and 450R four wheelers...650 that can barely get the front wheel off the ground in first...I am very disapointed so far...but these good fellows on here assure me that the "mods" are gonna make me happy. They also have told me that none of the mods "hurt" anything other than gas milage and increased wear on the back tire. I figure.. If the motor melts down, I can just toss the stuff back on and push it in to the dealer say "dude, look what happen.."

Air filter changes, richer jets, exhaust pipes and removal of the smog kit are going to do 0% damage to the motor. I dont think any mech is gonna tell you different.

XRSONLY screwed me. told them with VERY clear instructions, not to put anything I order on BACK ORDER, Just to cancel the order, a week ago when I ordered it. Called them to find my stuff. Sitting, waiting for the smog block off that were supposed t be in a week ago...Avoid them if you can...Confirm daily if you cant.

I wanted to go back with THUMPER and just , but couldnt find the smog block off in the store, and the Parts Unlim part wouldnt work.

• martinfan30

Posted April 01, 2008 - 12:50 PM

Thanks! Like I said, I have been reading up for a while, but was not prepared for just how much the exhaust was going to be pinging and popping. Sounds a bit like a Vw Bug to me! I thinks someone else said it sounded like running over baby chickens. :confused: If I can contain myself, I want to try and leave it stock till the 12 month warrantee runs it's course. Well see if I can hold out. :prof:

So what’s up with the Honda break-in instructions!!! "...avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration." That's all we get??? :bonk:

Clint

IMO, the most important breakin procedure is not using steady throttle. Make sure to vary the settings constantly. Use engine braking and acceleration even when cruising. This gives the rings a good chance of seating well.

• RipperFox

Posted April 01, 2008 - 01:22 PM

Almost all the different break in opinions say...WARM IT UP FIRST!!!!...People forget this quick when they get a new bike and want to ride it bad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted April 01, 2008 - 01:42 PM

Also change the oil, filter and clean the downtube screen at 500-600 miles.

• Purcell69

Posted April 01, 2008 - 05:43 PM

Way to go on the new ride! Congratulations! I was where you are back in January. I got the new '07 for Christmas, added extra warranty and then thought to myself, "There's no way I can wait until the warranty expires before I git rid of that ugly A** smog crap."

I took the bike in for the first service at 600 miles and talked with the service advisor about the common mods vs. the warranty. In a nutshell, if you have a failure that is not a direct result of a modification, ie. the oil pump fails and the motor is toast, but has nothing to do with rejetting, the failure is covered under warranty. If you go with a BIG cam, overbore and a 12.5:1 compression piston and overload the tranny, it's all on you.

Go ahead, get comfortable with the bike and get crazy! The Mod God is calling you:devil:

-Joe

• Purcell69

Posted April 01, 2008 - 05:45 PM

Also change the oil, filter and clean the downtube screen at 500-600 miles.

Martinfan, where is the downtube screen and how can I inspect and clean it? Pictures?

-Joe

• Wild Turkey

Posted April 01, 2008 - 05:58 PM

Martinfan, where is the downtube screen and how can I inspect and clean it? Pictures?

-Joe

Get your owners manual out and go to the oil changing section ( I think that's where it is). You will need to swing the stock case protector down to get at the down tube screen bolt, and use a 17mm socket on it. :prof:

• tgstoken

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:38 PM

I, and my father/people that are smarter than me, have found the "break in period" on motorcycles to be little more than the manufacturer's attempt at scaring the public into taking it easy on thier motorcycles to save the company money in warranty work. Honda doesnt want you to start ripping on a bike they have to offer a warranty on. After all, the harder you ride a bike, the more chance you will hit a tree/fall off a cliff, etc... and they will have to fix it. My family has always just ridden a new bike like it was meant to be and made sure to change the oil/filter every 250 miles until the bike reaches 1,000. There I said it, break in is a big conspiracy to save the companies money in warranty work.

• martinfan30

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:52 PM

-Joe

Just follow the front downtube down to the oil line going into the case. There at the fitting is I beleive a 17mm or 19mm hex head plug. Use a quality 6 point socket or box end wrench to unscrew it. It will round off easily if you are not carefull. Pull it and clean it of any metal shavings, debris.

• Denn10

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:10 PM

congrats my cali brother, now read the sticky about our big camp out this weekend, Where ya at in cali

WELCOME TO TT and BRP land

• Memnok

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:52 PM

congrats my cali brother, now read the sticky about our big camp out this weekend, Where ya at in cali

WELCOME TO TT and BRP land

As much as I would LOVE to be there... :confused: , I have a camping trip planned with my two boys. :bonk: We won't be going far, just up to Lake McClure at Horse Shoe Bend, just below Coulterville.

Believe me, I have been following the camping thread wishing I could be there. It's only about an hour and a half away from Turlock! ;) I even thought of driving there and camping, but without the wife, it’s a no-go on permission. She said something about leaving the kids with a crazy guy in a trailer with side-by-side toilets. :prof: Oh, well, maybe I can make the next one. Thank you for the thought though.

Clint

• martinfan30

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:35 AM

There probably will be another one later this year....

• Purcell69

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:40 AM

Just follow the front downtube down to the oil line going into the case. There at the fitting is I beleive a 17mm or 19mm hex head plug. Use a quality 6 point socket or box end wrench to unscrew it. It will round off easily if you are not carefull. Pull it and clean it of any metal shavings, debris.

Martinfan, thanks for the info. I'm going to go warm up the bike, change the oil and check the screen.

-Joe

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.