Directions to the Lake Pleasant/Crown King road?

12 replies to this topic
  • jbobst

Posted March 31, 2008 - 01:59 PM

I have been up to Crown King many times via the East side route, coming from I-17/Bumble Bee, but I would like to go up the back way starting from the Lake Pleasant side. Can someone give me quick directions on where this road begins or how to get there? I know how to get to Lake Pleasant, but not sure where to go from there. Thanks!

Jeff

• tomshell

Posted March 31, 2008 - 02:12 PM

I have been up to Crown King many times via the East side route, coming from I-17/Bumble Bee, but I would like to go up the back way starting from the Lake Pleasant side. Can someone give me quick directions on where this road begins or how to get there? I know how to get to Lake Pleasant, but not sure where to go from there. Thanks!

Jeff

Where and how the hell have you been Jeff? I though you may have sold your bike and quit riding! Or maybe you just quit riding with us losers....:prof:
74 to Lake Pleasant entrance(the one furthest to the west) Head into the park and keep heading north to a t. Right is into the park(you gotta pay) and left continues on a dirt road. It winds around and then you turn on Cow Creek? Rd,and ya follow that for a bit and then you will see a trail that goes off to your right. There is a large Boulder with CK painted on it,. That is the trail. I can send you a tracklog tonight if you like. When you going? I think Carl has more specific directions, and he will probably chime in here soon....

• jbobst

Posted March 31, 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hey Tom! Well, I actually sold my DR650...and I just bought the new Yamaha XT250. Looking to take it off road now. I know, it's a pretty wimpy dual sport, but I just got sick of fighting the 650 in the dirt. My new XT250 is SO much lighter! No where near the power of course, but so far I am pretty happy! I haven't been on Thumper Talk for awhile, but looking to get back into the swing of things here. Thanks for the directions...I assume you all are still doing rides...I need to take some time and look through the discussion topics and catch up on what's going on.

I haven't planned a trip yet...maybe this weekend??? But, I am really anxious to get the new bike out on the dirt. I would like to do the Crown King run and then head into Prescott on the Senator Highway, but that may be a long trip! Anyway, I still need to see if I am have Saturday free. I should know by tomorrow. I'll post if I plan a ride this weekend and I'll check out to see what everyone else is doing here on TT.

• Solo

Posted March 31, 2008 - 02:41 PM

This is the staging area-

http://maps.google.c...z=16&iwloc=addr

Park there and go north on the road. Stay on the route most travelled. When you get to the rock with "CK" painted on it turn right. That is Crown King Tr and it turns into NF-711. Take that to NF-192 and turn right. After that you kind of have to find your way. Just about all the roads up there have NF-192 as the name but one goes to CK. Based on memory it's all right turns. Once you start up the shale covered climb just stay on the main road and that takes you right to the Senator Highway. Once you hit that it's a Right to the stop sign then a Left to get to CK. A Left at the Senator will take you toward Prescott.

I have a GPS track if you need it, as does Tom.

• tomshell

Posted March 31, 2008 - 02:49 PM

Hey Tom! Well, I actually sold my DR650...and I just bought the new Yamaha XT250. Looking to take it off road now. I know, it's a pretty wimpy dual sport, but I just got sick of fighting the 650 in the dirt. My new XT250 is SO much lighter! No where near the power of course, but so far I am pretty happy! I haven't been on Thumper Talk for awhile, but looking to get back into the swing of things here. Thanks for the directions...I assume you all are still doing rides...I need to take some time and look through the discussion topics and catch up on what's going on.

I haven't planned a trip yet...maybe this weekend??? But, I am really anxious to get the new bike out on the dirt. I would like to do the Crown King run and then head into Prescott on the Senator Highway, but that may be a long trip! Anyway, I still need to see if I am have Saturday free. I should know by tomorrow. I'll post if I plan a ride this weekend and I'll check out to see what everyone else is doing here on TT.

Lake to CK can be done in an hour if you hit it hard and do not stop a lot. CK on the Bradshaw to Prescott probably 2 hours,maybe a little less. But realistically I would figure 4 hours to go from the Lake to Prescott. This weekend is no good for me, so if you want company that will not work. The following weekend maybe...

• harjp1959

Posted March 31, 2008 - 03:11 PM

74 to Lake Pleasant entrance(the one furthest to the west)

Carefree Hwy (74) to Castle Hot Springs Rd. (MM 29). Head north (only way you can go) on Castle Hot Springs Rd.

Head into the park and keep heading north to a t. Right is into the park(you gotta pay) and left continues on a dirt road. It winds around and then you turn on Cow Creek? Rd,

In other words, make a left at the T, away from the park. Then a right on Cow Creek Rd. A little over a mile from the staging area Carl placemarked for you.

Then a right at the CK boulder and the funs begins!

(Not that I'm trying to improve upon your directions or anything, Tom. They were great. Really.....)

• harjp1959

Posted March 31, 2008 - 03:13 PM

A back road to CK this weekend, lunch in CK, and return sound funs!

I had a blast on the DRZ yesterday. I hope to keep having excuses to keep taking out of the garage.

By the way, Jeff.....have we met? If not, hi I'm Harry. (Not Sean.)

• jbobst

Posted April 01, 2008 - 03:24 PM

Harry, I think we met about a year and a half ago (November 2006 I think) on a Four Peaks trip...we had lunch at butcher hook and went on to Young and back...I think you only did the four peaks run...I could be wrong though!

I still am not sure if I can make it Saturday, but I should know latest tomorrow afternoon. I'll post if I am going (or not) so feel free to join me.

Jeff

• philbrooks

Posted April 01, 2008 - 11:51 PM

[quote name='harjp1959']Carefree Hwy (74) to Castle Hot Springs Rd. (MM 29). Head north (only way you can go) on Castle Hot Springs Rd.

Actualy, is MM19, or just look for the turn off for Lake Pleasent.
Jbobst, I'm thinking of going up friday morning. Let me know if you can make it. Other wise, I may just ride at MM11.5
I will not go up ther on the weekend, too much like a deathwish with all the sqiuds.

• harjp1959

Posted April 02, 2008 - 10:23 AM

Actually, is MM19, or just look for the turn off for Lake Pleasant.

Oops. That's right. I knew it was 5 miles from MM 24.

Castle Hot Springs Rd = MM 19 on Carefree Hwy.

• philbrooks

Posted April 02, 2008 - 07:15 PM

Jeff

Here's a group going up on saturday for a fund raiser
http://www.ridingari...?TOPIC_ID=31728

• bikeslut

Posted April 02, 2008 - 07:27 PM

went out there this morning, and never did find the boulder . I ended up driving around a while then unloaded and explored a bit. saw a lot of wildlife and an awesome sunrise . dodged some burro, jackrabbits and quail. all in all a good day

• Solo

Posted April 03, 2008 - 08:51 AM

Boulder is here- http://maps.google.c...z=14&iwloc=addr

Related Content

Where 2 Ride

Condon Peak

25000-25098 Coalinga Road, Coalinga, CA 93210, USA

Forums
Photo
California-Southern

RBMC Husky/KTM Liquidation Sale New Bikes.... by racemx904

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Bike review of my 2015 CRF250R by Justwant2ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo
California-Southern

Cost Register a Beta 450 enduro as dual registration by Surfmicah

• 13 replies
Forums
Photo
California-Central

Bass Lake Area Riding 10/3-10/5 by wwkayaker

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.