FMF Pipe

25 replies to this topic
  • shogun43

Posted March 31, 2008 - 12:29 PM

Hi All,

I am looking at the FMF 4.1 Titanium slip-on pipe for my 07 WR450. Anyone that has this pipes have any complaints? Any other pipes that I should consider?

• RedBull420

Posted March 31, 2008 - 01:21 PM

The 4.1 is a great pipe. That being said for the amount of $$ you will drop on that slip-up you could almost get a full system DR. D.

• Demo_Slug

Posted March 31, 2008 - 01:44 PM

I’m interested in this question too. Is the 4.1 a real a slip on or does it come with an adaptor pipe to let it slip on to the stock head pipe, thus giving you the option of adding a power bomb head pipe later on? Or is the power bomb head pipe the same diameter as stock? Or am I just wrong? FMF web site is confusing me.

The DrD head pipe interference with the oil flitter removal sounds like it would really bug me. Do other the aftermarket head pipes have the same issue?

• RedBull420

Posted March 31, 2008 - 01:47 PM

The stock header is not the same diameter as the slip on. It will come with a sleeve (shim) that will allow it to work & then it can be removed if you buy a FMF header down the road.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 31, 2008 - 03:00 PM

I have the older factory 4. It will give you gobs of power all across the board. You will definitely feel the difference. I removed the annoying little bog that I had when running the stock pipe with the PMB insert.

The only downside is that I think that its easily the loudest damn pipe I've every heard. It blows about 102-104db, which is insane. I put the quiet insert into mine and repacked it and it only brought it down to a little less than 100.

Get something quieter. Its not like you can't just twist the throttle just a fraction more to get the power from a quieter pipe. Who rides a 450 WFO anyways? I sure don't.

• cpr1

Posted March 31, 2008 - 05:33 PM

I have the new FMF Speed muffler slip on my 04 WR450 and I love it. The bike rips and it's not as loud as I thought(claimed 98db). Besides, FMF makes a quite core insert that will bring it down to about 94-96 db.:prof:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 31, 2008 - 05:47 PM

I have the new FMF Speed muffler slip on my 04 WR450 and I love it. The bike rips and it's not as loud as I thought(claimed 98db). Besides, FMF makes a quite core insert that will bring it down to about 94-96 db.:prof:

I have had ZERO success getting my wr450 to get below the 96db limit with the Factory 4. I have bought all of the *shit* that the FMF guys told me to. Those inserts and quiet packing simply does not work. It does quiet it down, but not below the 96 db limit when you do a real sound test.

Yamaha's are the loudest bikes out there for some reason. If anyone at all is concerned about being quiet, then get the Q pipe. Don't waste time with the insert because they technically won't be below the 96db limit.

I race enduros and other desert races and I get sound tested all the time. I have to race with the stock pipe and a pmb insert (93.5db)

FMF pipes have great power, but they are noisy.

Your experiences may be different from mine.

• trailordune

Posted March 31, 2008 - 07:18 PM

You're not going to pass sound w/ a 4.1 but you can with the speed or powercore with the quiet core (96 db). I have the ti-powercore with powerbomb headpipe and am 96 or below w/ the quiet core and still have lots of power. Very happy w/ it. That said if I bought another FMF pipe it would be the Q. Stay quiet without the temptation of pulling the quiet core out of the other pipes. FMF pipes are very easy to repack and come w/ high quality long lasting packing from the factory. In my mind they are the best bang for the buck unless you insist on a 4.1. Stay quiet, you'll be happy you did.

• Demo_Slug

Posted March 31, 2008 - 07:23 PM

I race enduros and other desert races and I get sound tested all the time. I have to race with the stock pipe and a pmb insert (93.5db)

FMF pipes have great power, but they are noisy.

Your experiences may be different from mine.

Maurice,
maybe you could make me a recomendation.. I'm running the stock pipe wth the gytr tip. I can't get over how much it sounds like a lawnmower. I hate to sound like a poser.:bonk: But a deeper sound would increase my enjoyment. :prof: but I have no desire have a loud pipe.

a gal I know has a crf250x with the stock pipe it sounds rad. :confused:

• shogun43

Posted March 31, 2008 - 08:38 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for all the info on the FMF 4.1. Is the quiet insert an addition you need to purchase? I do not see it mentioned on the website..... I must be missing something.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigBelly

Posted March 31, 2008 - 09:00 PM

I have an 07 WR also. What is recommended for an increase in power (low and mid range) that will keep Johnny Law away.

If you go with the "Q" as a slip-on, is there still noticeable power increase or do you need a new header too and if so, which one.

Hope I didn't hijack your thread.

Thanks,

Chad

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 01, 2008 - 06:35 AM

Maurice,
maybe you could make me a recomendation.. I'm running the stock pipe wth the gytr tip. I can't get over how much it sounds like a lawnmower. I hate to sound like a poser.:bonk: But a deeper sound would increase my enjoyment. :prof: but I have no desire have a loud pipe.

a gal I know has a crf250x with the stock pipe it sounds rad. :confused:

Well, I get sound checked about once per month since I race. I have even worked the sound check station a couple of times. I hear all kinds of pipes. You are right about the lawnmower sound. But you can only hear it when you are at idle.

The FMF Q2 is designed to be right at 96db. If you don't keep it packed, it will get louder. The older Q is quieter and less power I believe. Both of these have more power than the stock pipe with the pmb or gytr insert.

The best sounding pipe, to me, is the white brothers pipe. They have a quiet pipe that sounds pretty "manly", if that's what you are looking for. But who care's. Loud pipes are somewhat annoying. Also, I have the titanium powerbomb header and I can't tell that it makes any damn difference. It is a waste of money for trail riding.

Funny thing... two weeks ago, I was buying a new silencer for my daughters KX80. I went directly to FMF to pick it up and I asked for the Q pipe. The kid helping me told me that quiet pipes are dangerous because I would not be able to hear my daughter if she went down. If the pipe was loud, I'd be able to easly locate her in the ditch.

(Note to all dirt bikers and harley riders: Loud pipe "DO NOT" save lives. Crashing is the #1 cause of motorcycle injuries and deaths, not quiet pipes.)

I ended up with the Q pipe of course. We've got to stop this way of thinking...

KTM's for some reason have the quietest bikes with the nicest sound. Go figure...

• GCannon

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:16 AM

Well, I get sound checked about once per month since I race. I have even worked the sound check station a couple of times. I hear all kinds of pipes. You are right about the lawnmower sound. But you can only hear it when you are at idle.

The FMF Q2 is designed to be right at 96db. If you don't keep it packed, it will get louder. The older Q is quieter and less power I believe. Both of these have more power than the stock pipe with the pmb or gytr insert.

The best sounding pipe, to me, is the white brothers pipe. They have a quiet pipe that sounds pretty "manly", if that's what you are looking for. But who care's. Loud pipes are somewhat annoying. Also, I have the titanium powerbomb header and I can't tell that it makes any damn difference. It is a waste of money for trail riding.

Funny thing... two weeks ago, I was buying a new silencer for my daughters KX80. I went directly to FMF to pick it up and I asked for the Q pipe. The kid helping me told me that quiet pipes are dangerous because I would not be able to hear my daughter if she went down. If the pipe was loud, I'd be able to easly locate her in the ditch.

(Note to all dirt bikers and harley riders: Loud pipe "DO NOT" save lives. Crashing is the #1 cause of motorcycle injuries and deaths, not quiet pipes.)

I ended up with the Q pipe of course. We've got to stop this way of thinking...

KTM's for some reason have the quietest bikes with the nicest sound. Go figure...

Can I get an AMEN on this!

Anybody who puts a loud muffler/Spark arrestor on a kids bike deserves to beaten senseless! How fast do you really want your kid going.

That finding your kid in a ditch business is crap! You will find your kid when he crashes because you are watching them right.:ride:

If you put a loud muffler on a kids bike you will be the first one to regret this. Because you will get tired of listening to the kid ride around your camp and then you will send him to ride over by my camp.:bonk: :confused: ;) Now both you and I are now pissed because of this obnoxius kids bike.:prof:

Get the Q you won' regret it and you will be doing all of us a favor.

BTW the Q2 is a great pipe.

• rubberband-man

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:51 AM

I have the Factory 4.1 w/ powerbomb header on my 07 wr450f. I bought the quiet insert, but the allen bolt they sent with it didn't secure it very well. I used gobs of lock tite, and --last weekend the dang thing disappeared. It must have shot out the back on one of the trails. So--$50 bucks down the drain and loud pipe back in action. Has anyone had this problem with the FMF pipe and the allen bolt that secured the tuning ring/quiet insert? After I lost my quiet insert, I tried the bolt that was with the original tuning ring, and even without the tuning ring, it doesn't stay in too well. This is probably a lame question, but how do I fix a screw hole that is inside a 1.5 inch pipe?? Maybe some JBweld instead of lock tite??

• BigBelly

Posted April 01, 2008 - 10:34 AM

I think I'm one of the last guys that still likes loud pipes. Not because they're obnoxious but because I hate to see the anti-dirt bike crowd win anything and they've won that fight.

I don't run a loud pipe because I am forced not to and I think that sucks. I still have plenty of loud guns, guess I have to settle for that.

• Strattos

Posted August 10, 2008 - 06:36 PM

Noise isn't a major issue where I ride most of the time, as it's mostly in the open outback. I'm considering either the FMF Powercore or the 4.1. There's a fair price difference. How much of a performance difference is there between the two?

• suzukipoo

Posted August 11, 2008 - 04:36 AM

I love the FMF factory 4.1 titanium slip-on got my baby alive!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Strattos

Posted August 14, 2008 - 04:16 PM

Suzuki, nice looking bike. With your slip-on and the sleeve that comes with it, does it still require the original gasket between the pipe and muffler?

• fouracesrwild

Posted August 14, 2008 - 04:38 PM

i have a ti powercore slip on with quiet insert installed on my 08 wr250f. While performing the ama sound test the bike will pass at 95 to 96db. with the insert removed its at 99db. our riding club has a sound rule of 99 db. so i installed the insert to give me plenty of room. the pipe will come with 2 inserts for the slip on. one for yz\powerbomb headers and a stock wr header. the powercore slip on pipe has been an excellent pipe, good quality construction and fits perfect. also good performance. i just couldn't see spending the extra $$$ for the 4.1 slip on.

Suzukipoo, where did you get the graphics and seat cover?
ive been looking for good looking graphics and never found any i liked until i saw your bike. i would appreciate if you would let me know.

• Strattos

Posted September 14, 2008 - 07:52 PM

I've just taken delivery of a FMF 4.1 (very prompt delivery, thanks Thumpertalk Store) and want to know do you need to put any exhaust sealant between the mid-pipe and header and between the mid-pipe and the slip-on?

Or do you just slip them all together and go?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.