Neutral safety sw work around.

5 replies to this topic
  • Red4x4neck

Posted March 31, 2008 - 11:12 AM

Hey guys
My pig started dying out on the road and I have determined that the neutral safety switch is failing. Not quite sure how but it seems to be inappropriately grounding at random times and with a little agitation of the shifter I can get the bike to fire.

My question is: What wires do I need to connect in order to eliminate the switch while I wait for a new one?

Thanks
Rob

• martinfan30

Posted March 31, 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hey guys
My pig started dying out on the road and I have determined that the neutral safety switch is failing. Not quite sure how but it seems to be inappropriately grounding at random times and with a little agitation of the shifter I can get the bike to fire.

My question is: What wires do I need to connect in order to eliminate the switch while I wait for a new one?

Thanks
Rob

This may help..

http://www.thumperta...bypass safeties

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 31, 2008 - 02:47 PM

If its an XR650L you can do a 'rescue bypass' of ALL the safeties by grounding the 2 wires that go to the clutch switch.

Ground both wires. It even bypasses the diodes.

Here's a pic I drew:
http://4strokes.com/...es/safeties.gif

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Red4x4neck

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:18 AM

If its an XR650L you can do a 'rescue bypass' of ALL the safeties by grounding the 2 wires that go to the clutch switch.

Ground both wires. It even bypasses the diodes.

Here's a pic I drew:
http://4strokes.com/...es/safeties.gif

Dave

Thanks everyone
Yes it is an 1997 xr650L
Now I found the switch on Bikebandit for $13. What do you wanna bet the local honda store DOESN'T have it in stock.:prof: :bonk: I absolutely hate the line I always get: "Well sir, I don't have it here but I can have it this time next week". I often wonder what all they stock behind the counter.

Oh well
Thanks again
Rob

• oilplug

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:29 AM

Thanks everyone

Now I found the switch on Bikebandit for $13. What do you wanna bet the local honda store DOESN'T have it in stock.:prof: :bonk: I absolutely hate the line I always get: "Well sir, I don't have it here but I can have it this time next week". I often wonder what all they stock behind the counter.

Why would they stock something you can easily bypass? I'd be curious to know how many of that part they sold across North America. When I worked for NAPA we could see the level of sales an item had. We wanted 2.5 turns per item per store. Why would any reasonably smart retailer tie up his inventory dollars on something that doesn't sell very often? I don't think waiting a few days is unreasonable to get a part that doesn't turn over very often. If your local guy is carrying parts like this he will go broke. You're going to end up waiting for parts from Bike Bandit.

Price may be another issue.

• Red4x4neck

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:48 AM

Why would they stock something you can easily bypass? I'd be curious to know how many of that part they sold across North America. When I worked for NAPA we could see the level of sales an item had. We wanted 2.5 turns per item per store. Why would any reasonably smart retailer tie up his inventory dollars on something that doesn't sell very often? I don't think waiting a few days is unreasonable to get a part that doesn't turn over very often. If your local guy is carrying parts like this he will go broke. You're going to end up waiting for parts from Bike Bandit.

Price may be another issue.

That is what I figured. It reflects on the quality of these bikes ie. they don't break very often hence no one stocks parts.
Regardless it is still aggrivating. I just called the local store and they said : by the end of the week and it would cost $18 dollars.
I understand what you are saying and sympathize with the store owners plight, just grumbling about reality.

Rob

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.