Will we see YZF350?

21 replies to this topic
  • Todd D

Posted March 31, 2008 - 09:53 AM

I see where KTM is supposed to release a 350 in 2010. With all the rumors about the AMA and FIM enforcing a 350 class I wonder if Yamaha will make a 350? There were rumors of one last year but it has kind of dropped since then.

Has anyone heard anymore about this bike being built. It would be the ultimate vet bike!

Later!

Todd

• Ga426owner

Posted March 31, 2008 - 01:35 PM

Ultimate race bike.....I do not think so.
I hope this whole 350cc thing gets flushed down any camode.....IMHO it is a waste of time and R&D $$$$ for a bike that still will approach 10000.00 list price in 4/5 yrs and still be plaqued by 4stroke long term reliability issues that will end up costing a owner either a lot of money either during the owning process (aka 250f cost of ownership) or when it grenades due to little to no maintenence. 450s too powerful? I say BS.......and it really doesn't matter anyway as I am saving for a AF500 from service honda....:prof:

• Cadoewen

Posted March 31, 2008 - 03:14 PM

i agree that 450's arent too powerful. im a c rider and i am always looking for more power. i realize i dont utilize all of my bikes performance all the time and i doubt many others do but its always fun to wick the throttle on and blow past people :prof:

• kain522

Posted March 31, 2008 - 06:21 PM

I don't know why this whole 450's are too powerfull thing started anyway. No one complained about the open class 2 strokes when they were common, so what's the problem with todays 450's? Motocross Action compared a CR500 to a CRF450 and the 500 made more power! The 450 was easier to ride, and handled better, so we already have less power in a better package. Leave the 450 class alone, it's fine the way it is!!!!

• CRFsean

Posted March 31, 2008 - 07:52 PM

I don't know why this whole 450's are too powerfull thing started anyway. No one complained about the open class 2 strokes when they were common, so what's the problem with todays 450's? Motocross Action compared a CR500 to a CRF450 and the 500 made more power! The 450 was easier to ride, and handled better, so we already have less power in a better package. Leave the 450 class alone, it's fine the way it is!!!!

well said!

• 642MX

Posted April 01, 2008 - 04:31 AM

I am saving for a AF500 from service honda....:bonk:

Its funny you say that. I was just looking at them on the web yesterday..... :prof:

• Todd D

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:31 AM

A 350 would have the power you need with the lightweight of a 250F. The 450's are getting better but they are still a little bulky and harder to sling around.

Oh'yeah there's a reason they quit racing the 500's!

Later

Todd

• ncmountainman

Posted April 01, 2008 - 07:57 AM

the service honda is awesome....as far as too much power i guess it depends on your ability to see the terrain at warp 9:crazy: i'm finding myself wfo already only after 3 tanks of gas;i'm sure i'll soon be a statistic:busted:
when you fellers pull the trigger on that SH ask for randy and tell'em mtman sent ya...he'll hook ya up; and if anyones gonna use it for HS type terrain i'd go for the rekluse pro also,freakin' awesome!

• Kasjok

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:31 AM

I think 450 might be too radical. 400 should be enough if it really is needed. But if it was me I would left it 450 and let there be 300cc 2 strokes.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2008 - 11:16 AM

It would be the ultimate vet bike!

Not so. It would very shortly be built to over 50 hp anyway, and have far less longevity, thus making it more expensive yet again for the private riders to compete.

A 350 would have the power you need with the lightweight of a 250F. The 450's are getting better but they are still a little bulky and harder to sling around.

Oh'yeah there's a reason they quit racing the 500's!

Their weight would fall between the 250F and the 450's. The reasons for the demise of the 500's was more a matter of organizational legislation than anything else. They did get less popular as track sizes were decreased, but that issue has nothing to do with the rideability of the bikes, per se.

I don't know why this whole 450's are too powerfull thing started anyway.

As far as I can see, it's a cop out answer to the question of the competitive disparity that existed while Ricky Carmichael was still riding. What made it so hysterical was that the "too hard to ride" excuse was offered to explain why the two smallest guys in the field were running away from everyone every weekend. More stupidity.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted April 01, 2008 - 11:28 AM

Also funny that the AMA promoted this to the FIM got support and had manufacturer meetings that went very bad, as R&D cost, tooling cost and the like was way too much to satisfy any profits for the big manufacturers. I guess KTM has to be the odd ball to see if it indeed happens or not or to be the 1st....This is the same AMA that has completely fallen apart and the same person Steve Whitlock that is now on hiatis ....... again another one his stupid ideas. :prof:

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2008 - 11:55 AM

Also funny that the AMA promoted this to the FIM got support and had manufacturer meetings that went very bad, as R&D cost, tooling cost and the like was way too much to satisfy any profits for the big manufacturers. I guess KTM has to be the odd ball to see if it indeed happens or not or to be the 1st....This is the same AMA that has completely fallen apart and the same person Steve Whitlock that is now on hiatis ....... again another one his stupid ideas. :prof:

Interesting that KTM has a 300cc two stroke that is currently useless as an MX bike, and forced to run with the open class in AMA off-road/desert stuff, don't you think?

• Ga426owner

Posted April 01, 2008 - 12:03 PM

Interesting that KTM has a 300cc two stroke that is currently useless as an MX bike, and forced to run with the open class in AMA off-road/desert stuff, don't you think?

yep but they keep holding on that there may be a rule change I guess ...like for the 144cc. The 350 must be following this crazyness I guess....
you would have thought that the 300 would be a great contender with the 450class.....

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2008 - 12:10 PM

you would have thought that the 300 would be a great contender with the 450class.....

Well it would have been, but remember that currently under pro rules, the limit for pingers is still 250. The new amateur rules are different, of course, but the AMA doesn't really do any amateur MX in SoCal.

• Wiz636

Posted April 01, 2008 - 12:17 PM

But that is an awesome offroad motor aside from the desert. Not that this has anything to do with AMA MX rules...

I see no point in a 350 thumper...unless it was nothing more than a bored & stroked 250F and retained the 205 lbs package.

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted April 01, 2008 - 02:00 PM

I think a 350cc would be pointless as well. The 450's power delivery make them plenty easy to ride in my opinion:ride: . I also dont think there is a big enough performance gap between the 450's and the 250f's to warrant a size in between.

I would LOVE to see a YZ300 2 smoker, that would be such an awesome bike!!!:prof:

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2008 - 02:45 PM

I would LOVE to see a YZ300 2 smoker, that would be such an awesome bike!!!:prof:

360-400 or don't bother. Go big or stay home. :bonk:

• Wiz636

Posted April 01, 2008 - 02:55 PM

Or a WR300 smoker built for offroad with an 18" wheel, heavy flywheel, and a frickin' lighting coil!

• kain522

Posted April 02, 2008 - 09:47 AM

360? 400? Lets just bring back the open class and be done with it!

• bigc

Posted April 03, 2008 - 07:47 PM

i would love to see a 350 yzf for an off road bike that is if it was placed in the 250f frame.those 290 big bore kits are a blast,but iam still to fat for it!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.