Help me help a friend...

7 replies to this topic
  • pinto24

Posted March 31, 2008 - 05:34 AM

I wonder if you guys can help me slap some sense into an old friend of mine. This friend, who we can call.... Hillbilly, has a 2007 YZ 450, which he has had for well over a year. Now, I am aware that Yamahas are known for durability and reliability, but there are some things that just have to be done to keep a bike running properly. Hillbilly races a full schedule, probably 12 races or so a year, and rides at least once a week, if not more, from March through October. Here is where I need your help, as ridiculous as this may sound, he insists that since the bike is a Yamaha, is so reliable, and tough as a rock, that he never has to change his oil, clean his air filter, check his valves clearances, wash it, or perform any other maintenance, and the bike will continue to perform at it's peak. I will give him some credit though, he did change the piston, while performing his annual valve clearance check over the winter. I would say, that since he has owned the bike, he has probably changed the oil and cleaned the air filter, no more than six or seven times. He has checked the valves once, and probably only washed it a handful of times, at most. I ride a KX 450, which does not have the YZF's reliable reputation, and even though I don't really race, I maintain the hell out of my bike to keep it running well, and catch nothing but grief from him for doing so, he tells me I am wasting my time. If you YZF riders could be so kind as to post your thoughts, so I can show him this thread, and hopefully knock some sense into his Hillbilly head. Please note, there is no need to be polite in your replies, as the only advice that will sink into his head is that which is blunt, and to the point.:prof: If I am wrong here, please let me know, but I really don’t feel like telling him, "told ya so," when his bike has blown up, and he is pushing it back to his truck.

Thank you in advance, and I apologize for the long and windy post.

• Racer808

Posted March 31, 2008 - 05:46 AM

I do regular maintinence, change oil every three or four rides, clean air filters every other or every if it was really dusty. However, my friend is a top of the pack B rider, can hang with A riders when he is on, but he has a 2005 yz 450, rides at least once a week, he changes his oil once maybe twice a year, never cleans his air filter, never checks valves, only fixes stuff when it breaks and that bike still runs strong as heck, has never had an engine probem, its still way powerful, so I dont know what to tell you. I get on him about maintinence but he doesnt listen, would rather go out and chase tail.

• BergArabia

Posted March 31, 2008 - 05:51 AM

I do regular maintinence, change oil every three or four rides, clean air filters every other or every if it was really dusty. However, my friend is a top of the pack B rider, can hang with A riders when he is on, but he has a 2005 yz 450, rides at least once a week, he changes his oil once maybe twice a year, never cleans his air filter, never checks valves, only fixes stuff when it breaks and that bike still runs strong as heck, has never had an engine probem, its still way powerful, so I dont know what to tell you. I get on him about maintinence but he doesnt listen, would rather go out and chase tail.

I am always changing oil and cleaning air filters.. Once a week actually ...
But I kind of enjoy it and the oil is cheap and my memory is poor.. so this way I can remember if I preped the bike or not.. easy.. Did I ride the bike FRiday? yep.. then saturday is maintenance day.. Only takes an hour to do both my bikes.. oh and I am married and too old to chase tail anyways so there you go sad life...

• WB450

Posted March 31, 2008 - 07:13 AM

I would tell him a few times, and then just sit back and see what happens. I would for you to keep us in the loop just to see what problems he may have. We always hear about the "I always maintain my bike to a fault", it would be nice to hear the other side, and see what happens. I don't know if I would go on a long ride with him, JMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted March 31, 2008 - 01:41 PM

Please make sure that who ever buys his bike, knows that they just bought a bike, excuse me, a grenade that the pin has been pulled from.......Yamis are reliable, but the reliability is largely due to regular oil changes, every 3-5hrs and maintaining correctly. This is one 07 that will have some internal bearing issues......to start with.

• JustinBrown

Posted March 31, 2008 - 02:01 PM

Just tell him that changing his filter will give him more airflow=more power

And clean oil reduces friction=more power

And a clean bike weighs less=flys better!

• William1

Posted March 31, 2008 - 02:26 PM

Please make sure that who ever buys his bike, knows that they just bought a bike, excuse me, a grenade that the pin has been pulled from.......Yamis are reliable, but the reliability is largely due to regular oil changes, every 3-5hrs and maintaining correctly. This is one 07 that will have some internal bearing issues......to start with.

+2 on this. Let him realize his resale value is nil.

Also, when other guys who are worse riders but are faster than him on the same model bike, maybe he will understand.

I have a friend, talks about how much he takes care of his bikes. Every year, carbs are crapped out, batteries dead, tires flat spotted, rusting, you name it.

You have to do it.

• Cadoewen

Posted March 31, 2008 - 03:12 PM

My brother has a yfz 450 quad and hes the same way. he probably has 300 hours on the bike easily and hasnt done anything he rarely cleans his filter i havent ever seen him changing his oil. i guess its just luck :prof:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.