Sprocket setup 13X48

14 replies to this topic
  • DownEast75

Posted March 31, 2008 - 05:04 AM

Hello all,
I just bought a "New to Me" '02 650L. The PO that had it changed the front sprocket to a 13 tooth gear. I have read where some people think the 13 tooth gearing is too low. Right now Im just riding off road, but plan to plate the bike in the next 3 months for riding on the road. (Mainly in town) And seeing that I am just learning to ride, I dont drive that fast anyway. Does anyone think that the 13 tooth front sproket it too low, Should I switch it to a 14 tooth, Also the rear sprocket is still stock at 45 tooth. Any recomendations on if I should switch to a 14 front sprocket. While on the road I dont want to overstress the engine with a 13 tooth, and Im thinking that the 14 tooth will be better, but still giving me some low end power for off road... JOHN :prof:

• Motosprtman

Posted March 31, 2008 - 05:48 AM

well ya know gearing preferences are almost like oil preferences to each his own... :-) and riding style, intended useage etc. a common and well liked one is 15 / 48. the stock 14 / 45 is nice if the bike is going to be on the road and or dirt roads better than 80% of the time.

• martinfan30

Posted March 31, 2008 - 07:15 AM

I run 14/48 and 15/48. The 14 front is still good for comfy cruising between 60 and 65. I prefer the 15 for longer highway rides.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 31, 2008 - 07:35 AM

If it feels good to you, keep it.

As soon as the front sprocket starts to hook, replace it.

The 13t wears pretty quick, but if you replace it as soon as it hooks a little you will avoid excessive chain wear.

Dave

• cleonard

Posted March 31, 2008 - 09:23 AM

If it feels good to you, keep it.

As soon as the front sprocket starts to hook, replace it.

The 13t wears pretty quick, but if you replace it as soon as it hooks a little you will avoid excessive chain wear.

Dave

+1 on that.

The smaller size will also wear the plastic chain slider on the swingarm faster. It's not a big deal, you just need to replace it before the chain starts eating the swingarm.

• Denn10

Posted March 31, 2008 - 10:06 AM

i agree with most leave it and keep an eye on it and when you change it out go to a 14 and enjoy it from there. Welcome to the BRP family!! and TT

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 31, 2008 - 02:49 PM

+1 on that.

The smaller size will also wear the plastic chain slider on the swingarm faster. It's not a big deal, you just need to replace it before the chain starts eating the swingarm.

Of course, if you're heavy or the rear preload is set low, or both, the chain only touches the upper slider when you unweight the bike.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DownEast75

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:19 AM

thanks guys for the answers, but I still am wondering, that my rear tire is mounted all the way back in the swingarm, and the "funny shaped washers" that are on the outside of the swingarm that adjusts the tire back. are maxed out to the 40 setting. I am afraid since the rear tire is set to the extreme limit of the swingarm that an accident could occur if the axle bolt becomes loose. I was wondering if a 14T front sprocket would bring the rear tire back up in the swingarm so that it is not at the extreme end of the swingarm. Also I still have the original 15T front sprocket from the previous owner. Should I just put the 15 back in that will pull up the rear tire??? Again, Im just learning to ride and mostly riding on trails, so do I really need the 13T or just switch back to the 15T and correct the extreme rear tire position on the swingarm? I still have the original 45T on the back

• ghrati ghoti

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:35 AM

If it were me, I would get new sprockets, and chain.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 01, 2008 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, if your snails are set at 40 (maxxed out) and you have the stock 110 link chain, it seems it would have to be worn out.

What do the sprocket teeth look like? Maybe everything is 'fresh' but they put a longer chain in.

Dave

• DownEast75

Posted April 01, 2008 - 11:41 AM

Sprocket teeth look fine to me, and also the bike ONLY has 550 miles on it. Im not sure if it is the stock chain, but I would assume so... What indicators do I look for to see if the chain and or sprockets are worn... JOHN

• martinfan30

Posted April 01, 2008 - 02:13 PM

Count the teeth on the chain to make sure its a 110 link.

550 miles shouldnt have any sprocket wear, none the less a 110 chain stretched that badly.

• KTMBlake

Posted April 01, 2008 - 02:16 PM

To answer the original question - I'd just ride the thing as is and get to know it. If you find it seems to be spinning more rpm's than you like on the street riding you do.....put a 14t up front. They're cheap, and easy to swap.

I wouldn't ask for advice and start throwing money at the bike based on other's opinions, I'd just figure it out by lots of seat time and getting to know the bike. It's possible the eccentric adjusters are maxed due to a combination of chain stretch and the 13t.....any idea how the bike had been treated in it's previous life? Or how many previous owners it's had? And count the links in the chain just so you know whatcha got...

If it's maxed out now, you won't have much adjustment left to make as you stretch and wear the chain further - so start saving for a decent chain and a couple of good sprockets. If the 13t looks ok, go for the 14t if for no other reason that you have an option for gearing changes in the future.

• danny v

Posted April 02, 2008 - 11:11 PM

thanks guys for the answers, but I still am wondering, that my rear tire is mounted all the way back in the swingarm, and the "funny shaped washers" that are on the outside of the swingarm that adjusts the tire back. are maxed out to the 40 setting. I am afraid since the rear tire is set to the extreme limit of the swingarm that an accident could occur if the axle bolt becomes loose. I was wondering if a 14T front sprocket would bring the rear tire back up in the swingarm so that it is not at the extreme end of the swingarm. Also I still have the original 15T front sprocket from the previous owner. Should I just put the 15 back in that will pull up the rear tire??? Again, Im just learning to ride and mostly riding on trails, so do I really need the 13T or just switch back to the 15T and correct the extreme rear tire position on the swingarm? I still have the original 45T on the back

Yes, a larger front will bring the wheel forward on the swingarm.Check for wear on the sprokets and if they hook than I would buy a set (new) chain and sprokets and I would go with the 14 / 48. I run 14 / 48 on a xr600r on the street and it goes like hell and it is also good in the trails

• ghrati ghoti

Posted April 03, 2008 - 05:13 AM

Sprocket teeth look fine to me, and also the bike ONLY has 550 miles on it. Im not sure if it is the stock chain, but I would assume so... What indicators do I look for to see if the chain and or sprockets are worn... JOHN

Hooks on the teeth of the sprockets. Grab the chain in the middle of the back sprocket and see how far you can pull it away from the sprocket. More than a 1/4" and it's probably done. Look for kinks in the chain too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.