XR650R What should I know , might buy one? or DRZ?

23 replies to this topic
  • brianm767

Posted March 31, 2008 - 12:49 AM

Ok I was thinking about a DRZ400S because I want a bike I can ride in the dirt, but is still street legal, my budget will be very limited, under 5K, but considering a new 07 DRZ400S for $5000 OTD

My question is, some one suggested I look at a 2000 XR650R that is for sale locally and it is street legal, asking $3500, has hand guards, a FMF pipe , rejetted, what should I know about this model? are there any major differences between a YR 2000 and the newer models?

how does it compare to a DRZ400S? power, weight, maintenance and reliability?

• scalejockey

Posted March 31, 2008 - 03:47 AM

I had bought a 400-s in 01 now i own a 650r.
The 400-s weighed in at 299 with a lighter pipe.
The 650r,316 with lighter pipe (certified scale...It's what i do)
I could never get the perfect gearing on the 400 for road and dirt,too close of ratios.
The 650R has the wide ratio and the power to pull it.I can idle at 4mph and top out at 93 with stock gearing.
I think the forks were updated on the 400 and maybe the carb?
The 650 is the same since 2000,except for the clutch bushing update.
You'll need to check that.(Mine was not done.It's a 01 and i bought it two years ago.)
They are both good motors,you can't hurt them!!
Iv'e owned over 40 bikes and this one can really do it all!The only thing i miss is the magic button.(i have a somewhat bad knee cap)

• motomanx

Posted March 31, 2008 - 01:10 PM

The XRR is a great bike, and has significantly more power than the drz. It is a tad bit heavier, but rides about the same in the tight stuff. It is better in faster sections than the drz. It will be be bullet proof if you keep the oil and air filter clean. $3500 is an ok price depending on how beat up it is. A few things to watch out for on the 00' and 01' models are the shift shaft seal, the countershaft seal (will dump all the oil out quickly) and the kickstart seal. These items were updated with the 02' models. I carry a spare of each in my tool pack (I have an 02') in case someone needs one. If I remember the 00' had some clutch issues if they got low on oil. Other than the seals and clutch bushing a 00' is the same as the 07'. Good Luck and have fun!

• Hoverboy

Posted March 31, 2008 - 05:35 PM

Hands down, go for the XR. It is a little heavier, but not much, and you gain so much in other areas.

You should be able to find a used XR 650R for cheaper than $3500, and newer than the 2000 you referred to. I see 03's and 04's for sale all the time here in AZ for $3000-$3500, clean, and not beat, usually with a few upgrades already done. So, keep shopping, you can find a sweet XR for well under your $5k limit. :prof:

• brianm767

Posted March 31, 2008 - 10:24 PM

Hands down, go for the XR. It is a little heavier, but not much, and you gain so much in other areas.

You should be able to find a used XR 650R for cheaper than $3500, and newer than the 2000 you referred to. I see 03's and 04's for sale all the time here in AZ for $3000-$3500, clean, and not beat, usually with a few upgrades already done. So, keep shopping, you can find a sweet XR for well under your $5k limit. :prof:

I am very limited since I want a street legal bike. that is why I was considering a DRZ, so I guess there might be some 04's or older bikes out there that were licensed, I actually saw an 05 CRF450X that was licensed, but it's probably only a matter of time before the DMV figures it out and revokes the plate,

As far as I can tell from my research is, the dead line to register a off road bike for street use, was 12-31-03,

The 650R in Question looks brand new in the pics, but I still need to go look at it, if it was not street licensed, it might be cheaper, but I think any off road bike that has been street registered, is going to demand a little higher price, since I cant buy another 650R and turn it into a street licensed bike myself, gotta love California!

• BWB63

Posted April 01, 2008 - 06:03 AM

Do not buy a XR650R!:prof: You will get confused with the XL650L guys all the time.....other riders will think you are one of those "other riders" that hage out at starbuck watching for real duel sport bikes to ride by. Sure the XR650R has won the Baja races sense 1999 and can still jump reasonable distance but, that is only for the serious rider. Start with a DRZ400E and then you can ride with anyone.

• bigboater

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:58 AM

My 2 cents: I was in the same delema DRZ400 vs. XR650R. I was fortunate to find an XR with the duel sport kit already on it and pimped out for a good price. I rode it and came back with a shit eating grin on my face. The next day I rode a DRZ and came back yawning. It was settled, no questions asked. Since I've had it I've determined that it is the closest one can get to a do everything bike. 100 mph on the road, fast acceleration, amazing torque, good travel, has all the important street features, and weighs in at about 300lbs so I can still put it on my reciever hitch tray. People say its a little heavy, but its on the lighter side for a duel sport and It will leave all of them in the dust (maybe not those 400lb bahemith touring bikes). I haven't hade a chance to offroad yet, but I know it will be better than a DRZ.

• fitpays

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:10 AM

i have a 1999 xr650l, and as much as i hate to say it -i love that dr400z. i just looked at a brand new one with my buddy on saturday. unfortunately, i dont have the loot for one. i think my buddy is buying it hands down. he wanted an xr650l, but when we saw the suzuki, it was a done deal. i think it would be easier and cheaper to squeeze some extra horsepower out of the suzuki than it would be to lighten up and shrink the xr. the appearance is the bomb, and with very little work, i think it would be a great machine. dont get me wrong, i love my honda, but if i was buying a new one, i would be torn.

• brianm767

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:15 AM

i have a 1999 xr650l, and as much as i hate to say it -i love that dr400z. i just looked at a brand new one with my buddy on saturday. unfortunately, i dont have the loot for one. i think my buddy is buying it hands down. he wanted an xr650l, but when we saw the suzuki, it was a done deal. i think it would be easier and cheaper to squeeze some extra horsepower out of the suzuki than it would be to lighten up and shrink the xr. the appearance is the bomb, and with very little work, i think it would be a great machine. dont get me wrong, i love my honda, but if i was buying a new one, i would be torn.

You have a 650"L" model?

I'm only considering the 650R model that has been street licensed, I was looking at a 650L at first , I haven't been around dirt bikes for 20years, so I'm not familiar with the differences in the models and a friend told me, don't look at the "L" only look at the "R", I didn't know there was a big difference, I thought the L just had the lights and street stuff I needed, my buddy told me they are two totally different bikes, the R is lighter with an aluminum frame , I was told?

• fitpays

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:29 AM

L comes road ready right from the factory. the R model, requires a kit and depending on the sate you are in, a bunch of hassle putting it on the road. if you are looking at an R that has already been tagged legally in your state, it will be a good bike. the R is superior to the L in my opinion. it is more of a true motocross bike. the dr400z is B.F.A. though. it looks hot and is lighter. good thing about honda's is the reliability. also, the 650r will have tons of power.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • porterdog

Posted April 01, 2008 - 10:00 AM

...my buddy told me they are two totally different bikes, the R is lighter with an aluminum frame , I was told?

Correct. Also completely different motor (watercooled ® vs. air cooled (L)).

It's really a case of completely different missions; about the only thing the bikes have in common is their declared displacement.

• brianm767

Posted April 01, 2008 - 10:51 AM

L comes road ready right from the factory. the R model, requires a kit and depending on the sate you are in, a bunch of hassle putting it on the road. if you are looking at an R that has already been tagged legally in your state, it will be a good bike. the R is superior to the L in my opinion. it is more of a true motocross bike. the dr400z is B.F.A. though. it looks hot and is lighter. good thing about honda's is the reliability. also, the 650r will have tons of power.

Yes the state I'm in, California, you can no longer get an off road bike licensed for the street, unless it came from the factory meeting California Highway emissions, so basically, I'm limited to finding one that was already licensed before the dead line of 12-31-03,

So the only thing I can buy "new" that is street lea gal and 400cc and above bare the KTM's, Husky's , DRZ400S, DR650, XR650L, out of these, I can't afford the Euro bikes, the 650's are probably to heavy for what I want, so it's either the DRZ400S, find a used Euro bike, or an older bike that has been street licensed, and they will be a bit more speedy than one that did not get licensed before the deadline.

I'm looking for a bike to ride trails, fire roads etc.. I haven't been on a dirt bike, for 20 years, well other than ripping around the airport where I work on my buddys YZ250, it was fun to say the least.

I raced Motocrosss in the late 70's and early 80's I started on RM80's and then went to CR125's and CR250"s , I rode in the dirt from about the age of 6 till I was around 22, but I'm now 44 and I haven't been back since. but I've been on teh street every since, and I've spent the last ten years on various sport bikes, CBR1100XX's, Hayabusa's and my Wing light ST1300.

I don't plan on Motocross riding, but I do love jumping, climbing etc.. and I'm afraid , that when I do get back on the dirt, I will try to ride what ever I get just like I used to when I raced, so I really don't want some thing too heavy. if I could afford to buy a used CRF450X that some one has already licensed, I think that might work for me, but the only one I see out there is actually an 05, so DMV may revoke it's plate if they catch it in the system, and it's over 6K , and I do want enough range to ride through the mountains all day, probably will need at least a 4 gal tank.

I guess I need to find some one with a DRZ400S or 650R and ride them, I'm worried the DRZ400S will not have enough power for me, and the 650r would be too heavy, but like I said, it's been around 22 years since I rode my 83 CR250, maybe at my age, and with the advances of the modern for strokers it will have plenty of power for me?

• bigboater

Posted April 01, 2008 - 12:16 PM

I wouldn't worry about the weight at all unless you are a small dude. I tipped both over almost to the ground and they felt the same. The DRZ is lower to the ground if your short, but that means less travel I think. Sounds like the Cali thing might get in your way though. You should ride both. I'm glad I did because now I have no doubt I made the right decision for me.

• brianm767

Posted April 01, 2008 - 01:29 PM

I wouldn't worry about the weight at all unless you are a small dude. I tipped both over almost to the ground and they felt the same. The DRZ is lower to the ground if your short, but that means less travel I think. Sounds like the Cali thing might get in your way though. You should ride both. I'm glad I did because now I have no doubt I made the right decision for me.

OK since were on teh 650 forum, I'm assuming teh right decision for you was teh 650R?

I'm 6" 190LBS, and dropping wieght, three monts ago I was 222lbs, I want to get to 180 lbs, I've picked up my dads Intruder 1500 before and numerous other bikes folks have dropped, not sure if I could get my ST1300 up by myself,

And another question, and remember I'm knew to this stuff, when you guys say single trail? what is that, are we just talking about a tight trail where only a single bike can make it through at a time? not sure about the lingo here.

I would like to ride in the mountains, but be able to ride on the streets if necessary, but I don't plan on traveling on the bike, maybe 45-50 miles up into the mountains to get to the trails I want to ride on, any further I'll trailer it. I used to love racing, but I also loved going up in the mountains, seeing a faint resemblance of a trail going up a steep hill, and taking off and seeing if I could make it through and up the hills,

I live in the Fresno area of Cal, so if any one is familiar with the local Sierras around here, Blue canyon, Ridgeline etc... thats where I would probably riding, so if I was to want to ride from Dinkey Creek to pine flat, I would need enough range to do so,

Also can some tell me the major difference between a CRF450X and a XR650R, I know the CRF looks like more of a Motocrosser, probably lighter, but when you would want one over the other, where does each excell?

Oh and I'm not thrilled about only having a kick starter. Me like the button.

• bigboater

Posted April 01, 2008 - 02:29 PM

CRF has snappy throttle responce and may be faster off the line. Also much lighter, but high maintenance. XRR has tons of torque and a wiiiiiide power band (less shifting) and maybe a faster top speed. Change the oil every 600 miles. CRF requires something like an oil change every 10 hours and the gas tank is big enough to make around track a couple of times. Both would require a larger gas tank than stock for longer trips, but the oil change thing would get old for long distance riding. Another thing to concider is if you plan to ride 60-70mph on the road for any amount of time, a light bike like the CRF can be a little scary.

• cj650

Posted April 01, 2008 - 02:32 PM

[COLOR="Red"]GET THE XR650R...THEY ARE FASTER, AND WAY MORE BULLET PROOF!!![/COLOR]

• Kyron

Posted April 01, 2008 - 03:03 PM

Sounds like no matter what you get after a year (or so) your going to be ready for another bike.

XR650R PRO'S.....is as close to perfect as you can get for street and off road, min maintenance...
CON'S .... kick start only, cant street register after 03 in Ca

XR650L PRO'S..... same as the "R" but even more realiable and comes with all the street legal stuff (helmet lock & loud horn), can be found cheap
CON'S .... HEAVY..HEAVY...some say its out dated but the suspension is still very good for fun riding, and its a heavy bike!

CRF450X is the off road version of the CRF450R, it has electric start BUT "can not" be made street legal in Ca ...... more maintenance required but is alot lighter

DRZ400's are heavy but seem to work well off road, they are not happy over 65mph on the highway though..... seem to be a bit fragile (side covers break)

I have a XR650L and am very happy with it, cruizes 75 no problem. I take it on 100+ mile dirt rides all the time.....
I also have a 300 XCW KTM thats street plated and thats alot of fun also :prof:

Good luck and hope that helps :bonk:

• Hoverboy

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:38 PM

I am very limited since I want a street legal bike. that is why I was considering a DRZ, so I guess there might be some 04's or older bikes out there that were licensed, I actually saw an 05 CRF450X that was licensed, but it's probably only a matter of time before the DMV figures it out and revokes the plate,

As far as I can tell from my research is, the dead line to register a off road bike for street use, was 12-31-03,

The 650R in Question looks brand new in the pics, but I still need to go look at it, if it was not street licensed, it might be cheaper, but I think any off road bike that has been street registered, is going to demand a little higher price, since I cant buy another 650R and turn it into a street licensed bike myself, gotta love California!

You can always pick up a previously licensed XR650R from another state, and transfer the title to CA, street legal and ready to go!

• SCORPiON5150

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:38 PM

You can always pick up a previously licensed XR650R from another state, and transfer the title to CA, street legal and ready to go!

NOT necessarily true. Check out my thread about just that:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=605033

• brianm767

Posted April 01, 2008 - 11:29 PM

Technically , no I can't, yes there have been some that have gotten through only because the folks at DMV didn't know what they were doing, but I've read allot about it, and from what I've found, the bike had to be owned and street plated before the deadline of 12-31-03, so any that were plated before then are grandfathered in, but all that were plated after then, even if it had a plate from out of state, are subject to have the plates revoked. DMV just has to find you first in thier system, maybe they never will, but its' not worth it to me to get a bike, knowing I want it to be plated, and have the possibility they wont plate it, or it would be revoked at a later date, I'd rather just pay the cali premium for a grandfathered in bike, or just by a DRZ400S, or find a good used Plated Husky, I absolutely wont deal with the local KTM dealer,

There are several Pre 2004 XR650R's on Cycletrader in Cali that are plated, most are above 4K and even 5K , there's even a CRF450X 2005 thats plated, it's tempting, but out of my price range, and it's definitely not supposed to be plated, so you see a legally plated off road bike in Cali is going to cost you. so the one I want to look at for $3500, seems to be a good deal.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.