2006 yz450f clutch slipping

4 replies to this topic
  • ktown yamaha

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:04 PM

hey guys i was just wonderin if anyone new how to remidey a slipping clutch, i was out ridin today and the bike felt good down low but as soon as u hit half throttle the clutch was slippin real bad, i adjust the clutch cable with no sucses, just to make things worse on the way home from ridin i ended up snapin my cable. if anyone has any suggestion on how or why this is happening let me know thank you.

• motox100

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:14 PM

Sounds like time for new clutch plates.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ktown yamaha

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:58 PM

yeah, i was thinkin so too i orderd new plates and a cable the other day, im hopein that solves the problem becouse i cant stand not ridin haha

• chan470

Posted April 03, 2008 - 01:13 PM

Check the clutch basket and inner hub. If you see considerable grooving they will need to be replaced or the new clutch plates will wear quickly.

• sharky_do_do

Posted April 03, 2008 - 11:32 PM

hey guys i was just wonderin if anyone new how to remidey a slipping clutch, i was out ridin today and the bike felt good down low but as soon as u hit half throttle the clutch was slippin real bad, i adjust the clutch cable with no sucses, just to make things worse on the way home from ridin i ended up snapin my cable. if anyone has any suggestion on how or why this is happening let me know thank you.

It's more than likely happening because you notched out the basket and inner hub.
Purchase a new set of clutch plates and soak them in oil over night.
Then go to the hardware store and purchase a file (fine, not course) and some 220 grit sand paper. Then take the basket, inner hub and plates out.

You'll seee the notches of where the plates were rubbing up against the basket and inner hub. Then file the notches off the basket and inner hub. You only have to file each spine for about 5-10 seconds max (depending on how bad it is). Once you have filed them all down a little bit, then use your 220 grit sand paper and then lightly sand over them again. You should just sand each notch until it is deburred (5-8 seconds or so). Then spray the basket and innet hub with brake cleaner...and you're ready to install it with the new plates.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.