how many are running 14/50 gearing????

8 replies to this topic
  • fitpays

Posted March 30, 2008 - 06:40 PM

hey guys, i put a one tooth smaller (14t) front sprocket on with a new clutch and it still does not want to wheelie like i would expect. so i am considering going to a 48 or 50 in the rear now. how do you guys like this gearing? i am leaning toward 50 in the rear. i really don't need to go too fast on the street, but if i ever have to go on the highway, i hope it will hold its own with traffic.

also, i am pretty sure that the xr650r sprocket is the same as the xr650l. this is correct, right?

• martinfan30

Posted March 30, 2008 - 08:57 PM

hey guys, i put a one tooth smaller (14t) front sprocket on with a new clutch and it still does not want to wheelie like i would expect. so i am considering going to a 48 or 50 in the rear now. how do you guys like this gearing? i am leaning toward 50 in the rear. i really don't need to go too fast on the street, but if i ever have to go on the highway, i hope it will hold its own with traffic.

also, i am pretty sure that the xr650r sprocket is the same as the xr650l. this is correct, right?

I run 14/48 currently and its ok on the highway. Its comfy at 62-65 MPH. Not much more without a nice buzz:crazy: .

14/50 would not be good for highway speeds IMO. Great for in town use.

With a 50 rear, you may need another link in the chain to make it longer also.

I am not sure , but the 650R rear uses a different bolt size.

• IMNXNYR

Posted March 31, 2008 - 03:16 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=620607

See this thread regarding potential rear sprocket issues (JT brand). I'm currently still using a 50 tooth rear but have a 48 coming in with the correct bolt holes.

As for wheelies, not sure what gearing will work for you.

Aside from the mods to the bolt holes on the 50T and the fact I mounted it on the hub backwards, the only other difference I can see is that the chain sits allot lower due to the larger diameter sprocket which I'm sure will reguire premature replacement of the rear chain guide.

It is best to talk to the seller and ask about the mounting holes before you commit to the purchase and this may not even be an issue with sprockets made by other companies. I believe some manufacturers make sprockets with both the 8mm tapered holes and the 10mm recessed flat holes to allow for mounting to OEM and after market replacement hubs.

good luck

• larsk

Posted March 31, 2008 - 09:01 AM

I have 14/49 and it comes right up in second. For off-road and around town it is fine. The rear sprockets are different on the XR650R according to AFAM application info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghrati ghoti

Posted March 31, 2008 - 12:10 PM

I didn't think a 50 would clear the chain guide.

• martinfan30

Posted March 31, 2008 - 01:03 PM

I didn't think a 50 would clear the chain guide.

I removed mine.

• zodran

Posted March 31, 2008 - 04:38 PM

I run 14/49, read somewhere where it's best to have even and odd numbers on the teeth for even wear. It'll still do 91mph by gps hauling a big guy and not tucked in.:prof:

• qwerty1234

Posted March 31, 2008 - 10:37 PM

I rode a few XR650R's before, the one I rode the most was a dearly loved machine that had just about everything done to it and was pulling a claimed 60hp. Had 14/48 and the front would not stay on the ground :bonk: any gear any rpm. Even 5th gear out of corners it'd break traction and start to bring that front end up

Up the power don't lower the gearing :prof:

edit: just saw you got the L instead, sorry my bad :confused:

• fitpays

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:25 AM

i think i will go with the 48T rear. i saw xr650r sprockets on ebay and the part numbers were the same in the parts unlimited catalog or whatever it is in the TT store. i will wait and make sure i get the correct sprocket. if it doesn't wheelie with those gears, i will just have to get my wheelie fix on my R1. by the way, i hate to admit it, but i saw a brand new dr400z over the weekend at the dealer and it broke my heart. wish i had the loot.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.