YZ timed???

10 replies to this topic
  • JoeJoeMX121

Posted April 30, 2002 - 08:28 AM

Hello.. I am looking into changing my WR over to YZ timeing. Doing the job would be nothing at all for me.. Only thing is I Have not a clue on where to line marks up...
Any help would be so great.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted April 30, 2002 - 05:20 PM

There are several pictures, the best ones scanned from a magazine and floating around old posts. I think Motoman393 has a copy on his site.

The gist is to roll the crankshaft to TDC (the I, not the H, lines up in the timing hole) and the cams both pointing away from each other. Then line the outside punch marks on the cam sprockets (the one horizontal from the camshaft and to the rear for intakes and to the front for exhausts) up with the top of the head. This is WR timing. Then count links to get 12 instead of 13 between the top punch marks, leaving the intake lined up and turning the exhaust. I zip tie the intake when I get it lined up and count for the exhaust. Remember the rear is the slack side (tensioner side) of the chain so if it is a little high instead of exactly lined up with top of head, the tensioner will pull it back down.

Good luck,

• JoeJoeMX121

Posted May 01, 2002 - 08:54 AM

so it would be one tooth advanced (left) on the exaust cam? Sound simple and a 40 min job ty

• JoeJoeMX121

Posted May 01, 2002 - 11:04 AM

:) ok i do have it apart and then the punch marks on the gears r up and even with top of head i only come up with 8 links?? do u mean the link pins? and this is counting with tensioner on or backed off? TY
JoeJoe!! :D

• Guy

Posted May 01, 2002 - 11:14 AM

:) link pins :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JoeJoeMX121

Posted May 01, 2002 - 01:46 PM

TY all for your help i Got it now!!!! :) come to find out when i took it apart the intake side was already off a tooth.. :D well will finish it tommarow n post results Ty again.

• Chaindrive

Posted May 01, 2002 - 03:48 PM

Is the intake being off a tooth a fairly common occurance? Has the bike been apart before?

Also, as you've undoubtedly read, be careful about the retainer falling into the engine... :)

• JoeJoeMX121

Posted May 01, 2002 - 03:56 PM

LOL as of retainer :) as carfull as i am i did drop it but got it out with no problem lol... and it was the intak that was off a tooth...(What would be power loss or any other problem with that being off that tooth)?? i didnt notice it all to much
Me and good friend put a rod bering in it last summer and when we put it back togeather i know it was lined up square?? any chance of skipping a tooth?? When i did lower end i put a new timming chain on was kined and stiff heard that was a common thing with these... but wil be reasembling tommarow :D TY

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 01, 2002 - 06:44 PM

The cam punch marks line up with the top of the head WITH THE CHAIN TENSIONER INSTALLED. When lining up or checking, push something in through the tensioner hole and push on the chain there before checking alignment. It is easy to be off a link just due to chain slack. I take a ratchet with a 14mm socket, align the crank at TDC and zip tie it to the footpeg. Then when I 'tension' the chain to check, I have one less variable.

Good luck,

• JoeJoeMX121

Posted May 03, 2002 - 01:53 PM

WHOOO HOOOO its done but havent tryed it yet........ the rest of the bike is apart im doing some other things to it.. :-( awww no more free beeee mods :) :D but i cant leave well alone and must fine other performance mods.. Ty for all the help

• motoman393

Posted May 03, 2002 - 03:21 PM

FYI, I put the WR to YZ time info on my website 2 days ago. Alot of people thought I had it on there, but I didnt until now. It is the same pics/writeup found on off-road.com Whenever I take my valve cover off again I will snap some new pics and put them on there. Here is the link http://motoman393.fo...ech/yztime.html Later,

BTW I added a "jimmy rigged" fix for fixing a stripped out shift shaft. There was an interest on the WR426 board a few days ago so I decided to post my experiences http://motoman393.fo...shiftshaft.html

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.