Posted April 30, 2002 - 07:54 AM
Posted April 30, 2002 - 08:50 AM
Posted April 30, 2002 - 09:40 PM
Posted April 30, 2002 - 10:39 AM
Also, I'm not sure JB weld would be permanent enough for that application. If you really wanted to permanently attach it, then spot weld it.
Posted April 30, 2002 - 10:49 AM
Posted April 30, 2002 - 11:05 AM
Posted April 30, 2002 - 11:59 AM
I have had first hand experience with stripped out shift shafts. We used this method below for over a year and it held up great, I did do a little "jimmy rigging" LOL (we needed to sell the bike later and replaced the shift shaft eventually, which involved splitting the cases) But anyways this is what I did:
The first thing I tried was a nail and JB weld...this lasted about an hour of riding. Then I tried a self tapping screw and JB weld which lasted about 1/2 a day of riding. We then were desperate and tried to spot weld it...well the heat from welding melted the seal and now we had a big leak. And the welded shifter had to be cut off to install a new seal LOL. Well that is the things we tried that didnt work.
Here is what worked: You can do this 2 ways... 1) Goto Autozone and buy a u-joint for a small car (like a civic/accord or something, just get the smallest/cheapest one, they are like $6-8) Then remove the 4 caps on the u-joint and remove some of the needle bearings (these bearings are hard as hell and wont break when you jam it in with a hammer, unlike nails or needles) Now drill a hole a little smaller than the needle bearing and jam the bearing inbetween the shifter and the shaft. Here is a pic so you can understand what I am talking about http://mx393.tripod....shiftshaft.html I drilled 2 holes one up top and one at the bottom, if you think about where the pressure goes when you upshift/downshift you will understand why 2 needle bearings would even the load alittle (pt some red loctite in there for good luck )
The needle bearings lasted about 6 months of riding and then 1 fell out so we decided to try something else. Instead of using a needle bearings I went and bought a tap for the hole I drilled and tapped in some threads. I used a grade 8 bolt and some red loctite, and this worked awesome. No shifter freeplay or slack, and it held up great for 6 months until we replaced the shaft (due to selling the bike) Well hope this helps and Good Luck!
Posted April 30, 2002 - 03:37 PM
Posted April 30, 2002 - 08:09 PM
Did you try a solvent or liquid wrench to disolve the lock tight and then try a sharp pair of vice grips? The shaft is harder than the shifter so it may be alright. You can bring it over on Wed. afternoon and we can try that then hit Canfield!!! I have to go to Libby on Thursday and may have to work late on Friday so if you what to go riding this week Wednesday would be best for me. I had an old jt60 for my son and tried welding the shifter to the shaft but the metals are different enough to not take very easy, at least for my meager welding abilites. I didn't want to get it too hot and it didn't work well. Then I tried to drill through the shifter and shaft and run a small bolt through it and that just broke the shaft when it was shifted hard. Welded it again and it held untill I sold it to a guy who restored old little bikes. Let me know about riding.
See ya, Ken
Posted May 01, 2002 - 03:53 AM
Excellent Dude, I have saved your fix into a manual I am creating called "Field Expedient Repairs".
Posted May 01, 2002 - 04:47 AM
Posted May 01, 2002 - 09:31 PM
Posted May 01, 2002 - 09:35 PM
Posted May 01, 2002 - 10:12 AM