XR650L Oil Capacity Poll

99 replies to this topic

Poll: XR650L Oil Capacity (148 member(s) have cast votes)

XR650L Oil Capacity

1. 2 qts. (23 votes [15.54%])

Percentage of vote: 15.54%

2. Voted 2.06 qts. (42 votes [28.38%])

Percentage of vote: 28.38%

3. Voted 2 1/4 qts. (25 votes [16.89%])

Percentage of vote: 16.89%

4. Voted 2 1/2 qts. (29 votes [19.59%])

Percentage of vote: 19.59%

5. Voted 2 3/4 qts. (17 votes [11.49%])

Percentage of vote: 11.49%

6. Voted 3 qts. or more (12 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • glaizinman

Posted July 22, 2008 - 10:58 PM

not trying to get off oil levels but that pic of the oil strainer scared me i went to the honda dealer when i got my filter. i asked for a o ring for the strainer bolt they told me not to worry you nerver have to check it

• martinfan30

Posted July 23, 2008 - 12:11 PM

not trying to get off oil levels but that pic of the oil strainer scared me i went to the honda dealer when i got my filter. i asked for a o ring for the strainer bolt they told me not to worry you nerver have to check it

That is a falsehood of the highest order.

It absolutely should be checked at the first oil change and periodically after that.

You'll be amazed at what you will find trapped.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted July 23, 2008 - 04:18 PM

You'll be amazed at what you will find trapped.

...about .94 quarts of oil? :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted July 23, 2008 - 04:34 PM

...about .94 quarts of oil? :thumbsup:

Ahhh Phuzz, I see you still haven't brushed your teeth...

:thumbsup:

• bthurber

Posted July 23, 2008 - 04:48 PM

Seems like a bit of a dead subject at this point, but I too feel this is more art than science. I started out with just the 2 qts. After the idle, dip stick was bone dry. After a short ride, fuller, but not there yet. Added another 1/4 qt. and noticed a few days later, level was undesirably high. Sucked some more out and things seem fine... but really I'm still a bit unsure. Good to hear I'm not the only one, I guess.

• martinfan30

Posted July 23, 2008 - 04:56 PM

Seems like a bit of a dead subject at this point, but I too feel this is more art than science. I started out with just the 2 qts. After the idle, dip stick was bone dry. After a short ride, fuller, but not there yet. Added another 1/4 qt. and noticed a few days later, level was undesirably high. Sucked some more out and things seem fine... but really I'm still a bit unsure. Good to hear I'm not the only one, I guess.

Welcome to the madness!

To truly get the correct read on the level....(IMO!!!)

You must first drain the oil out of the case and the downtube, replace the filter.

Add a little over 2 qts. 2.06 to be exact out of the L manual. Go for a good, short ride. Enough to sustain normal operating temperature and go back home.

Shut it down and wait a few seconds. Then check.

There are MANY different opinions on this, and I feel this is the best way to check level.

• wheelnut46

Posted July 23, 2008 - 06:43 PM

2 quarts, then a little more.

• Old Dog

Posted July 23, 2008 - 08:11 PM

Welcome to the madness!

To truly get the correct read on the level....(IMO!!!)

You must first drain the oil out of the case and the downtube, replace the filter.

Add a little over 2 qts. 2.06 to be exact out of the L manual. Go for a good, short ride. Enough to sustain normal operating temperature and go back home.

Shut it down and wait a few seconds. Then check.

There are MANY different opinions on this, and I feel this is the best way to check level.

+1 :ride:

I've run 3 Liters and have had it run fine (not spewing out the crankcase vent) with the level showing right at the upper level mark (warm). I've also put 2.5 Liters in and had the level show 3/4 up on the dipstick. I think as long as it's showing somewhere between the Lower and Upper levels on the dipstick when warm/hot, you should be ok. :lol:

Maybe the Canadian versions of the XR650Ls have a higher oil capacity! :p ;) :mad: :D :p ... or maybe I just don't know how to read a dipstick!

I've definitely shown that I don't know the difference betwen a Liter and a Quart! :rant:

• HeadTrauma

Posted July 23, 2008 - 09:40 PM

Aren't Canadian quarts smaller than U.S. liters? That's probably how you fit so many quarts in there.

:ride:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted July 24, 2008 - 02:41 PM

Ahhh Phuzz, I see you still haven't brushed your teeth...

;)

Why the fsck would I do that? I ain't done riding yet! :rant: :ride:

I add 2 qts, then a dollop or so out of another. Life's good. :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bills442

Posted July 30, 2008 - 04:47 PM

mine takes aweful close to 3 maybe 2 & 3/4.

• Motorhd

Posted July 31, 2008 - 03:46 AM

My First Oil Change. 2008 XR650L. Tried All The Warm Up & Ride Stuff. Took 2 3/4 Quarts To Fill To Top Line. ???

• martinfan30

Posted July 31, 2008 - 05:40 AM

My First Oil Change. 2008 XR650L. Tried All The Warm Up & Ride Stuff. Took 2 3/4 Quarts To Fill To Top Line. ???

What ever it takes to get it close to FULL. You are fine.

Welcome BTW!

Rich.

• Zimman

Posted November 16, 2013 - 04:11 PM

To the top Baby!!

I really just wanted to vote when I found this ancient thread  since I just changed my oil minutes ago

but figured a lot of new folks could update the results also 

• natey

Posted November 19, 2013 - 06:42 PM

To the top Baby!!

I really just wanted to vote when I found this ancient thread  since I just changed my oil minutes ago

but figured a lot of new folks could update the results also 

what did you vote?

I voted 2.5qts.......but don't know the exact amt.

When i change oil incl. filter, I add 2qts., then run for a bit and it's at bottom of dipstick. then add about one quarter to half quart to get the level up close to the fill line, but definitely a little under the line.

• Zimman

Posted November 19, 2013 - 06:46 PM

what did you vote?

I voted 2.5qts.......but don't know the exact amt.

When i change oil incl. filter, I add 2qts., then run for a bit and it's at bottom of dipstick. then add about one quarter to half quart to get the level up close to the fill line, but definitely a little under the line.

2.06 for me was close  i did the filter also but didn't pull the frame screen / lower screen nor tip the bike to get the reservoir empty  just because this oil was very good looking

and low miles  I just wanted to have a baseline moving forward   ( I forgot to write the mileage on the last change  LOL )

• natey

Posted November 19, 2013 - 08:23 PM

2.06 for me was close  i did the filter also but didn't pull the frame screen / lower screen nor tip the bike to get the reservoir empty  just because this oil was very good looking

and low miles  I just wanted to have a baseline moving forward   ( I forgot to write the mileage on the last change  LOL )

2.06.........I must have a pig with a bigger belly........maybe mine'a a pot belly pig huh. 

• Zimman

Posted November 20, 2013 - 03:09 PM

I was pouring out of My gallon jug ( T6) after i poured in to quart bottles that I filled out of the Gallon so I may be off and I just did the change  so it may require more during the next ride 

• dochawken

Posted November 20, 2013 - 06:14 PM

how bout you all stop with the bashing, if you aint got nothing to contribute then dont try and stir the pot doofus????http://www.thumpertalk.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/bonk.gif !!!!

hilarious....lol

• condershire

Posted November 20, 2013 - 07:14 PM

My experience mirrors yours...  I thought my dealer had overfilled the oil when I did my first change and measured it, came in at somewhere around 2 1/2 quarts.  With my oil cooler it DEFINITELY needs 2 3/4+ quarts to bring it to the top mark on the dipstick (plumbed into the return line from the bike).  As I experimented with different amounts, I found that a little over 2 quarts would yield a level midway between the top and bottom marks on the dipstick, thus mirroring what the manual states, give or take a tenth of a quart or so.  Given that there is a top mark on the dipstick, I'm going to put as much as I can in there...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.