XR650L Oil Capacity Poll

99 replies to this topic

Poll: XR650L Oil Capacity (148 member(s) have cast votes)

XR650L Oil Capacity

1. 2 qts. (23 votes [15.54%])

Percentage of vote: 15.54%

2. Voted 2.06 qts. (42 votes [28.38%])

Percentage of vote: 28.38%

3. Voted 2 1/4 qts. (25 votes [16.89%])

Percentage of vote: 16.89%

4. Voted 2 1/2 qts. (29 votes [19.59%])

Percentage of vote: 19.59%

5. Voted 2 3/4 qts. (17 votes [11.49%])

Percentage of vote: 11.49%

6. Voted 3 qts. or more (12 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted April 03, 2008 - 08:24 AM

Only one problem with that. ^^^^^^ With 2 3/4 quarts in my bike, the crank case level is PERFECT. If I take the inspection bolt out while it's on the sidestand, no oil comes out. It's not until I get the bike perfectly upright that any oil at all comes out the hole. I don't proclaim to have the answer as to why there seems to be no unanimity on this, but I still have to stick to my story which is 2 3/4 quarts = Just below the top level of crosshatch on the dipstick and perfect crankcase level.:prof: :bonk:

You pulled that check plug with the engine running?

Dave

• Bibleman

Posted April 03, 2008 - 12:33 PM

No, was I supposed to?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 03, 2008 - 01:09 PM

No, was I supposed to?

Terchnically, the engine sump level check plug only gives a meaningful reading with the engine running.

The top of the correct sump level is right at the bottom of the hole.

Right after the engine is shut off it'd still be 'good' but would start to leak as oil leaked down into the sump.

Dave

• Bibleman

Posted April 03, 2008 - 04:08 PM

Hmmm, just checked the owners manual and it says to check the crankcase level before starting the engine (pg 88).

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 04, 2008 - 08:03 AM

Hmmm, just checked the owners manual and it says to check the crankcase level before starting the engine (pg 88).

Are we both talking about the sump check-plug?

Dave

• Kenzo

Posted April 04, 2008 - 12:08 PM

Are we both talking about the sump check-plug?

Dave

the Clymer Manual states to check the crankcase oil level with the engine shut off and "let the oil settle"...

the Honda Shop Manual does not say but they're both in agreement that the proper level is the bottom of the crankcase bolt hole threads...

as a side note i do not see any appreciable difference in level from oil draining back into the case...mine seems to hold it's frame/tank level...maybe i better check the screen next change :prof:

:bonk:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 04, 2008 - 02:32 PM

I thought my shop manual explained how to check it running- I'll have to look.

Dave

• jetfuel

Posted April 04, 2008 - 03:28 PM

Alright guys... From the "Honda Service Manual"

Posted Image

• Bibleman

Posted April 04, 2008 - 04:15 PM

Well, well, well. No wonder we can't figure this thing out. The service manual is different from the owners manual (at least the one that came with my '07) which says on p.88 regarding the crankcase inspection bolt....."If the crankcase oil level is low, add the recommended engine oil BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE (emphasis mine) to check the engine oil level.'

• jetfuel

Posted April 04, 2008 - 05:02 PM

Yes that would certainly be confusing.
It had seemed something was slightly off between your two descriptions.
Thats why I figured I'd post that up...:prof:

Now fill'em up and..:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted April 04, 2008 - 07:24 PM

:prof: So it appears that even HONDA is confused on this issue! :bonk:

• Purcell69

Posted April 04, 2008 - 11:06 PM

I know the whole capacity is a very heated topic. After reading the last few posts, and having completed my first oil change for the XRL at home, I learned two important things...I over-filled mine by almost a full quart. Running at highway speed I was getting a significant amount of oil residue in the airbox and occasional misfires.

I had been checking the oil as per the direction of the service advisor (run 5 minutes at idle, shut off and stand 5 minutes, then check with bike vertical.) Every time it came up short I ended up adding about 4 ounces to get the level close to the upper mark. The end result was excess oil in the system.

I also learned that it is not possible to add the recommended quantity of oil all at one time. I made a big mess on the frame and floor when I reached about 1.8 quarts.

After getting the oil to the correct 2.06 qts. the bike runs down the highway smoothly with no misses or hesitations. When I checked my oil immediately after riding, as suggested by Martinfan, my oil level was between the two "p's" in the word "Upper" on the dipstick.

For those who do choose to run 2 3/4-3 qts. you may be having better luck than I was due to lower engine speeds or a different crank case vent system. Mine is desmogged and currently vented to the airbox. I am very comfortable running 2.06 qts . now.

-Joe

• Bibleman

Posted April 05, 2008 - 04:26 AM

I think that's great that you have come to a conclusion you're comfortable with Purcell, and I truly mean that. However, once again we have a part of the puzzle that doesn't fit. The owners manual says to "start the engine and let it idle for 3-5 minutes. After 2-3 minutes"....then check the level.

I think the poll shows that this is one of those topics we're all going to have to agree to disagree on. Fortunately, from everything I've read on this great forum, I don't think anyone has definitively damaged their engine from running anywhere between 2-3 quarts.

By the way, I certainly don't want to beat this topic to death, but I'm wondering if it's possible that there's any way on some bikes the engine oil is getting into one or both of the lower frame tubes, thereby creating a larger oil tank. Your thoughts???

• HeadTrauma

Posted April 05, 2008 - 11:23 AM

My 600 takes a little more than 2.06 quarts, but still less than 2.25, so I just voted for 2.06. I ride the bike around on easy mode for about 10min and then check the oil. I usually wait for the oil reservoir to start warming up. At an oil change, I fill the reservoir almost up to the top, do the ride around, and then check and add oil to the full mark. This method has proven to be repeatable for me and the amount of oil is very close to the factory spec, so I'm content with that.

Are some of you seriously stuffing close to three quarts in there?! That would be like overfilling my car by a quart and a half. :thumbsup:

• zipper600

Posted April 06, 2008 - 05:54 AM

94 XR600R. i always check oil immediatly after a ride.at middle of the dipstick is good for me.

always put 2.5 liters (dont ask me how many quarts is it.dont give a ****)with filter change included. Always good. No seal blowing or whatever and even with the frame filter in this condition it "only" seized a rocker arm.

Posted Image

• Bibleman

Posted April 06, 2008 - 08:58 AM

94 XR600R. i always check oil immediatly after a ride.at middle of the dipstick is good for me.

always put 2.5 liters (dont ask me how many quarts is it.dont give a ****)with filter change included. Always good. No seal blowing or whatever and even with the frame filter in this condition it "only" seized a rocker arm.

Posted Image

:thumbsup: Wow, just curious how long it was since it was previously cleaned. When I checked mine at 1k miles there was only two tiny dots of something stuck on it.

• zipper600

Posted April 06, 2008 - 11:29 AM

:thumbsup: Wow, just curious how long it was since it was previously cleaned. When I checked mine at 1k miles there was only two tiny dots of something stuck on it.

in my oppinion no one ever cleaned it..i had a big "TIC TIC" on valves so i openned head and found a seized rocker arm..i checked all lines and filters and found this frame filter in this condition... this proves the XR reliability..the engine was starving in oil..

• XR_Aaron

Posted April 07, 2008 - 12:39 PM

I know the whole capacity is a very heated topic. After reading the last few posts, and having completed my first oil change for the XRL at home, I learned two important things...I over-filled mine by almost a full quart. Running at highway speed I was getting a significant amount of oil residue in the airbox and occasional misfires.

I had been checking the oil as per the direction of the service advisor (run 5 minutes at idle, shut off and stand 5 minutes, then check with bike vertical.) Every time it came up short I ended up adding about 4 ounces to get the level close to the upper mark. The end result was excess oil in the system.

I also learned that it is not possible to add the recommended quantity of oil all at one time. I made a big mess on the frame and floor when I reached about 1.8 quarts.

After getting the oil to the correct 2.06 qts. the bike runs down the highway smoothly with no misses or hesitations. When I checked my oil immediately after riding, as suggested by Martinfan, my oil level was between the two "p's" in the word "Upper" on the dipstick.

For those who do choose to run 2 3/4-3 qts. you may be having better luck than I was due to lower engine speeds or a different crank case vent system. Mine is desmogged and currently vented to the airbox. I am very comfortable running 2.06 qts . now.

-Joe

Mine also overflowed after about a litre and a half. I have just under two litres (2.11 quarts) of repsol synthetic and mine and it seems fine. I'm still worried about running less than most of you guys, but I check the level after every quick ride and it reads between the middle and full.

• martinfan30

Posted April 20, 2008 - 11:08 AM

There still seems to be some questions on this subject, so I re-stuck it.

Rich

• frog13

Posted April 20, 2008 - 06:25 PM

2.06 QUARTS (U.S.) = 2 U.S. quarts and 1.92 additional U.S. OUNCES.

Also, there is an additional check bolt on the right side of the head that you do check while the engine is running----regarding the case bolt:Whomever posted the copy of the manual, I believe it was talking about letting the engine get to a normal idiling state so the oil levels would stabilize----then shut it down/ keep it vertical and remove the bolt?.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.