XR650L Oil Capacity Poll

99 replies to this topic

Poll: XR650L Oil Capacity (148 member(s) have cast votes)

XR650L Oil Capacity

1. 2 qts. (23 votes [15.54%])

Percentage of vote: 15.54%

2. Voted 2.06 qts. (42 votes [28.38%])

Percentage of vote: 28.38%

3. Voted 2 1/4 qts. (25 votes [16.89%])

Percentage of vote: 16.89%

4. Voted 2 1/2 qts. (29 votes [19.59%])

Percentage of vote: 19.59%

5. Voted 2 3/4 qts. (17 votes [11.49%])

Percentage of vote: 11.49%

6. Voted 3 qts. or more (12 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote
  • Bibleman

Posted March 31, 2008 - 01:40 PM

^^^I'm just the man for the job^^^^:prof:

• martinfan30

Posted March 31, 2008 - 01:45 PM

someone gonna lay the SMACK DOWN!!!!!
Posted Image

LOL i love adding pics its so fun!!!!!

That you getting biotch slapped?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 31, 2008 - 02:43 PM

Google can do unit conversions for you- type in
1 liter in quarts
and it gives the answer.

Dave

• Kenzo

Posted March 31, 2008 - 04:05 PM

...how do i cast a vote for "3 Canadian Quarts" :prof:

:bonk:

• Bibleman

Posted March 31, 2008 - 05:32 PM

Oh, did I mention mine takes 2 3/4 SLOVAKIAN quarts, but only according to the Gregorian calendar, I think.:prof:

• Memnok

Posted March 31, 2008 - 09:30 PM

When will the world learn that Americans always know the best way to do things? Haven’t they figured out this metric thing is just a fad?

• Huffa 2

Posted April 01, 2008 - 02:54 AM

2.06 qts, :prof: you might as well say that's 2 qts, so really, 2 qts has 6 votes at the moment.

• Denn10

Posted April 01, 2008 - 06:22 AM

2.06 qts, :prof: you might as well say that's 2 qts, so really, 2 qts has 6 votes at the moment.

it says 4 you must be looking at the metric poll where it says 6!!! :bonk: LMAO sorry i just had to!!

• Mogdorr

Posted April 01, 2008 - 03:34 PM

I went with 2 3/4 quarts. I've checked the level in the case and resevoir when hot, and that gets it to just under the upper limit of the hash marks. *edit* but I do have a cooler that theoreticaly increases the amount of oil held in the system but not in the resevoir right after shutting the bike off.

It sure is an iffy topic, but regarding the actual operation of the bike, when hot the scavange pump will maintain the case oil level at the proper amount whether you have 2 or 3 quarts total in the bike's oil system. If there is enough that is drains into the head through the vent hose it will just drain down into the case along with the oil sent up there to lube the valve train. But I'ld hazard to guess you'ld have to be running 3 1/2 quarts or more to get the resevoir level that high.

I've been curious enough that I'm going to make a sight tube for the resevoir so as I can see what it's doing all the time.

• Bibleman

Posted April 01, 2008 - 03:53 PM

Oooh, now there's a good idea. I'd like to see what you could come up with.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted April 01, 2008 - 05:14 PM

Here I go again.........

I tell myself this is a "L" thread stay away!!!!!! But, then I post something and get blasted about everytime that I am wrong and will never learn anything........SO, I remove what I wrote ........ come back and do it all again. Just goes to show that there are XRR guys that just can't learn from their mistakes. I am learning slowly tho..........
I have a site tube on my frame and the oil runs higher in the frame once the bike is running at a low idle but, will pull way down once you rev up the engine and come back to some place in the middle if you hold that rpm. If you have it at higher rpms and let off the tank fills all the way up for a short time. I believe this is why the tank is not full and should never be filled to show the oil at the top mark on the dip stick (when checked right). The system pressure does spike for a short time and at least on the XR650R blows the CS seal. I have over filled the XR600R's and XR400R's a little for years and the one "L" I had and have only gotten some oil leaking from the crank seal and CS seal but, none of them were ever filled to three quarts. They were all ran to top RPM's quite a bit. Before I get someone that states that my bike is not an "L" someone already let me know that.....I never had a sight tube on any of my other 12 XR's so I have to go by the sight tube I have now knowing the system is close. I fill my bike with 1.7 Liters, that is 42.5 OZ. and is more then I should.

• jetfuel

Posted April 01, 2008 - 05:42 PM

I fill my bike with 1.7 Liters, that is 42.5 OZ. and is more then I should.

If you prefer to spoon feed your Pig...

Then 42.5 oz = 254.999 teaspoons ... :prof:

• BWB63

Posted April 01, 2008 - 06:05 PM

If you prefer to spoon feed your Pig...

Then 42.5 oz = 254.999 teaspoons ... :prof:

Are those Canadian teaspoons? But, if those are Liter teaspoons than I would need less teaspoons to make a quart:eek:

• martinfan30

Posted April 01, 2008 - 08:13 PM

Hmmm...
I wonder if the filling of an XRL to 3 qts. is what causes the XR's Only dipstick to blow oil out of the face of the guage?

SInce the oil level drops as rpms increase, but as the rpms are held... Then the tank level rises.........

• Denn10

Posted April 01, 2008 - 09:09 PM

prolly a big contributing factor there martin

• Kenzo

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:06 AM

from the other thread...

the proper operating level is somewhere between the "upper" and "lower" levels...but appears to be somewhat variable most likely due to the way one changes (or drains) the oil.

i should have also added that due to the oils changing physical properties(temperature, volume & viscosity) and bikes mechanical pumps(well actually one pump with twin rotors) the level will vary within a range dependant on the bikes operation...

this is partially why i believe ~2 U.S. quarts (~2.5 U.S. quarts Max) is the proper fill amount.

lets take it a step further...if you ever try to fill the frame tank with 2 U.S. quarts after draining your oil, you will find it holds slightly less than 2 U.S. quarts by the oil spilling down the frame onto the engine and floor(i did this on my first oil change:bonk: ).

now lets say the frame tank holds a level of ~1.5 U.S. quarts during normal operation... if you put 3 U.S. quarts in your bike...where must the remaining 1.5 U.S. quarts reside??? ...in the case.

if ~2 quarts is indeed a sufficient fill amount and you add 3 U.S. quarts instead you have just forced your case/bike to operate with a higher than normal oil level in the case opening the door to all of the potential downside...

i hope the people that overfilling are not causing any potential problems...from foaming or air bubbles in their oil due to the crank spinning in oil, or increased oil/engine temps or power losses due to windage(parasitic losses)...

these not an acceptable risk that i am willing to take by ignoring the manufacturers stated fill amounts...:prof:

in my case/bike adding ~2 U.S. Quarts maintains a level ~1" below the "upper" mark and well above the "lower" mark.

• Purcell69

Posted April 02, 2008 - 11:44 AM

from the other thread...

this is partially why i believe ~2 U.S. quarts (~2.5 U.S. quarts Max) is the proper fill amount.

lets take it a step further...if you ever try to fill the frame tank with 2 U.S. quarts after draining your oil, you will find it holds slightly less than 2 U.S. quarts by the oil spilling down the frame onto the engine and floor(i did this on my first oil change:bonk: ).

now lets say the frame tank holds a level of ~1.5 U.S. quarts during normal operation... if you put 3 U.S. quarts in your bike...where must the remaining 1.5 U.S. quarts reside??? ...in the case.

if ~2 quarts is indeed a sufficient fill amount and you add 3 U.S. quarts instead you have just forced your case/bike to operate with a higher than normal oil level in the case opening the door to all of the potential downside...

these not an acceptable risk that i am willing to take by ignoring the manufacturers stated fill amounts...:prof:

in my case/bike adding ~2 U.S. Quarts maintains a level ~1" below the "upper" mark and well above the "lower" mark.

I guess I should have read this one FIRST. I just changed my oil for the first time, (2nd O/C since the bike was new). I did the same thing you did, about 1 quart and 28 ounces in the frame and then oil everywhere. I also discovered the oil check procedure in the manual is inaccurate. Something to the effect of "run for 5 minutes, let sit for 5 minutes, then check". Maybe that was the service advisor.

Either way, using that method, I ended up with pretty close to 3 quarts in the bike, since it would routinely read below the top mark on the stick, and since the oil separator was removed with the smog pump, a little accumulation in the airbox. When I checked it and saw it was less than full, I would add 4 oz. at a time, pretty much each ride. I don't see myself running much more than the recommended 2.06 qts.

-Joe

• husky123

Posted April 02, 2008 - 02:07 PM

from the other thread...

That's a good point right there.:prof:

• Bibleman

Posted April 02, 2008 - 03:16 PM

Only one problem with that. ^^^^^^ With 2 3/4 quarts in my bike, the crank case level is PERFECT. If I take the inspection bolt out while it's on the sidestand, no oil comes out. It's not until I get the bike perfectly upright that any oil at all comes out the hole. I don't proclaim to have the answer as to why there seems to be no unanimity on this, but I still have to stick to my story which is 2 3/4 quarts = Just below the top level of crosshatch on the dipstick and perfect crankcase level.:prof: :bonk:

• Kenzo

Posted April 02, 2008 - 06:29 PM

Only one problem with that. ^^^^^^ With 2 3/4 quarts in my bike, the crank case level is PERFECT. If I take the inspection bolt out while it's on the sidestand, no oil comes out. It's not until I get the bike perfectly upright that any oil at all comes out the hole. I don't proclaim to have the answer as to why there seems to be no unanimity on this, but I still have to stick to my story which is 2 3/4 quarts = Just below the top level of crosshatch on the dipstick and perfect crankcase level.:prof: :bonk:

the bike warmed up, shut off and level...sure that's as steady state u can get...

...now what about at sustained high rpm operation??? ...or when ur flogging it??? ...or when the bike is running at elevated temps???

...the point is/was that there is probably a variation in how well the level is maintained and overfilling may exasperate the potential problem

i don't doubt you reading/levels at all...and there is probably no problem with 2 3/4 quarts BUT would add 3??? ...why not more???

i know we're splitting hairs here but when people begin adding 35-50% more than the factory specifications AND it begins to morf into "the factory specifications are incorrect", "this is the new correct fill" i begin to have a problem...remember the XXL (and specified fill amounts) have remained basically unchanged for 15 years...i think Honda would have let us know if the spec was wrong.

:confused:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.