XR600 engine has odd noise until it warms up?

8 replies to this topic
  • ktmkarl400

Posted March 29, 2008 - 01:44 PM

I have a used 1996 XR600 I recently purchased that runs quite well.
Starts fairly easily.
Has a fairly loud ticking, clanking, type noise when cold.
Seems to be coming from the front of the engine, but could be coming from the side.
After the bike warms up, the noise is hardly noticeable.
It is still there and seems to go up and down with the revs.

Could this be the exhaust gaskets if someone tried to re-use them? Do they seal better when the engine gets warmer? These are crushable copper correct?

Someone else told me it might be the cam chain, but if that was a problem why would it get quieter when the engine is warmed up?

Thanks for all your help.

• cleonard

Posted March 29, 2008 - 02:44 PM

There are two reasons for the cam chain to become less noisy. First is just plain expansion. The aluminum expands more than the steel chain making it a little tighter when hot. The other is the tensioner. Tensioner not holding when cold, but holding better when hot.

It does sound like the tensioner and or chain is bad. Sometimes the oil pumps make noise when cold, but it is usually more of a buzz.

• ktmkarl400

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:01 PM

Sounds very logical about the expansion. So if I replace the cam chain, should I automatically replace the cam chain tensioner? Do the exhaust gaskets ever do this, I mean seal better as they warm up as I know they are copper.
Thanks again for the information.

• pwrpapa

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:06 PM

Sounds very logical about the expansion. So if I replace the cam chain, should I automatically replace the cam chain tensioner? Do the exhaust gaskets ever do this, I mean seal better as they warm up as I know they are copper.
Thanks again for the information.

The gaskets are cheap so it's worth a try to see if it will work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ktmkarl400

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:08 PM

Wow, I didn't look hard enough. There is another tic tic tic post. So it sound like the cam tensioners go bad. Any suggestions on whether to just replace the tensioner or go ahead and do the cam chain while I am in there. If I don't have to replace it, I would rather not. Anyone have experience in this area?

• pwrpapa

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:10 PM

It's probably your CAM..ouch. LOL......I would take a look at it.
Just kiddin ya.

• pwrpapa

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:12 PM

Have you adjusted your rockers? The cam chain will clank if it's bad like cleonard said.

• ktmkarl400

Posted March 29, 2008 - 06:41 PM

Yep, I just adjusted the rockers and it actually did seem to quiet it down. It only sat for 2 hours, so maybe engine was not cold enough to make the cam chain noise. Will start it tomorrow morning and see just how loud the noise is and go from there. If noise is still there and loud, I will probably:

a. Replace the copper gaskets and see if that helps. One of the posts said exhaust leaks can make really odd noises. Plus I heard somewhere that they are cheap.

b. If that doesn't do it. Replace the tensioner and cam chain. Can you tell if cam chain is bad without removing and measuring the length? I mean if I have to take it off to measure...might as well put a new one on.

Anyway, the first time I rode the XR600 was today. Snow is finally going away in Michigan. I am using the 600 for dual sporting this year unless I find I really don't like it and sell it. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the power was and the suspension was pretty good. It definitely needs a taller handlebar (the bike is stock other than a muffler insert), but other than the handlebar it seems to fit pretty well. Very plush.

Everyone says I will want an electric start bike as I will be tired of kicking real quick, especially a 600. It was 40 degrees here today and it took 12 kicks to start, so if that is all it takes I won't mind too much.

• scalejockey

Posted March 30, 2008 - 05:30 AM

If you have exhast leakage,after the pipe is off, you'll see black soot where the seal is if it's been leaking.If your cam chain is loose it will have a schunk,schunk sound more so at idle.(that's as good as i can do for Mr. sound effects).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.