turning a xr650r to a supermoto!

7 replies to this topic
  • xrkid21

Posted March 29, 2008 - 01:29 PM

I had a few questions about the sprockets on the xr650r i was wondering if thay need to be changed to compensate the road riding if you have any info to this i would appriseate the help thanks!

• DREWBUSH

Posted March 29, 2008 - 03:08 PM

Are you gonig to be running 17's? Or just getting more street friendly tires on the stock rims? If you change the wheel size, you will have to change the gears. On which size to goto, thats up to your riding style.

• xrkid21

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:03 PM

i got michilen bt-45 tires and there the stock size 18 back and 21 front and i dint know if i needed to change the sprockets or not

• Maroast

Posted March 29, 2008 - 07:53 PM

i dint know if i needed to change the sprockets or not

It's really preference man. You really haven't provided us with any information... like, is the bike fully stock? or did you buy it from a dude who installed 13 X 52 sprockets.

How far do you plan on riding each time you throw a leg over this thing?

If its any help, I've found 15X45 to be a pretty good setup for road riding...it even works for fairly aggressive off-road work (but will require a bit of clutch work to modulate the power).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrkid21

Posted March 30, 2008 - 07:10 AM

well i boughtthis bike brandnew in 2003 so the sprokets are stock also

• Blownaway

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:04 AM

You want at least 15-45 , that is about as high as you can commonly find but for a street tard you want even higher gearing. The XRR will pull very high gears. Go to http://www.supermotojunkie.com and check it out.

• xrkid21

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:36 AM

thanks for the help

• xrfred

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:45 AM

you can run as tall as 15 40 I am going to try 15 42 the next time around. you can always swap the front sprocket smaller if its too tall. every three teeth rear is aprox one on the front

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.