Loose cam chain guide?

5 replies to this topic
  • Math

Posted March 29, 2008 - 12:37 PM

Hi, I'm installing back the head on my 426 this afternoon. The head is on but the cams and chain yet remain to be installed. I noticed that the rear cam chain guide is somewhat loose compared to the front one. In fact, in can move forward-backward by about an inch as per measured on top. I just can't remember if it is normal:blush:

Thanks!

• xr1million

Posted March 29, 2008 - 12:42 PM

do you remember the T chain tensioner???

• Math

Posted March 29, 2008 - 12:48 PM

You mean that the tensioner will take care of that?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted March 29, 2008 - 01:15 PM

Yup...that's what it's supposed to do.

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2008 - 06:01 PM

Hi, I'm installing back the head on my 426 this afternoon. The head is on but the cams and chain yet remain to be installed. I noticed that the rear cam chain guide is somewhat loose compared to the front one. In fact, in can move forward-backward by about an inch as per measured on top. I just can't remember if it is normal:blush:

Thanks!

Yes, it's totally normal. The rear "guide" is the tensioner shoe. The tensioner itself pushes against it to push it forward against the chain.

• chrispy1202

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:48 PM

One guide is stationary, and the other uses the pressure from the tensioner to provide tension to the cam chain.
Chris

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.