Don't Really Know Where To Post This...

6 replies to this topic
  • Tha Breeze

Posted March 29, 2008 - 11:14 AM

Is there anything special about a 1971 Yamaha 400 Enduro? I would have ridden one today but the gas hose was leaking:( Um, anything I should know before I hop on it? MAY go ride it next weekend or in about another month or so...

• USED YZ426F

Posted March 29, 2008 - 01:17 PM

You might want to ask over in the vintage bike forum, or in the 2t forum.

• Birdy426

Posted March 29, 2008 - 01:22 PM

In 1971, they were 360s, not 400s. Black tank with a red stripe, non-reed valved piston-port motor. The motor was about as bullerproof as they come. Good, smooth power by the standards of the day if it was properly tuned and timed. The suspension in stock form was bad. Not horrible by the standards of the day, just bad. Underdamped shocks and flexy forks. If you are going thru the woops, the back end tended to start to swap without warning...this behavior, on all of the Yamaha Enduros and MXers of the day earned the nickname "Yama-Hop". If I had a nickle for every time my CT-1 (175) or my dad's DT-1 (250) spit me off that way, I could have retired long ago.

Seriously, it's a very cool bike if you remember what it is...a 35 year old dirt bike from the beginnings of the first serious dirt bike revolution. Great vintage project as parts are readily available, and upgrades are easy. I've been looking for a basket case RT-1 or DT-1 for a while here in Cali for a project bike...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tha Breeze

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hmmm... he told me it was a '71 I believe, it's a four-stroke though.

• Birdy426

Posted March 29, 2008 - 06:25 PM

hhhmmm...a 4 stroke? Maybe an '81? int he 70's all the Yami's were pingers, except for a street bike or two...I think they had a 650 twin thumper and a 250 single thumper that were street bikes...

• William1

Posted March 30, 2008 - 05:05 AM

Yamaha had the 650 twin (Semi clone of a Triumph) and the 750 twin 4S, all the rest were 2S in the early 70's.

• Tha Breeze

Posted March 30, 2008 - 05:08 AM

Must have been an '80s then, sorry. Were they fast!?

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.