Oil level revisited (XRL)

47 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted March 29, 2008 - 11:00 AM

I know there's a big controversy over how much oil the XRL is supposed to take, but this is the third time I've changed mine and even with 2 1/2 quarts I'm still an inch below the top level. I did it right according to the manual. I'd like to fill it to the top mark, but I can't help but think three quarts is too much. :prof:

• Wild Turkey

Posted March 29, 2008 - 12:36 PM

I know there's a big controversy over how much oil the XRL is supposed to take, but this is the third time I've changed mine and even with 2 1/2 quarts I'm still an inch below the top level. I did it right according to the manual. I'd like to fill it to the top mark, but I can't help but think three quarts is too much. :bonk:

I too noticed that I had to add a little more oil than was specified. :prof:

• Purcell69

Posted March 29, 2008 - 01:44 PM

When I had the first service done at the dealership (600 miles), I noticed the same thing when I checked it before my next ride. I ended up adding another 1/2 quart. When I went through the delivery process at the dealership, I was told the oil only needed to be kept between the "high" and "low" marks on the dipstick, which is a pretty broad range.

-Joe

• husky123

Posted March 29, 2008 - 01:45 PM

The dry sump big XR's (600R, 650L, 650R) continue to be a mystery wrapped in a riddle. I, to this day, can't get the level straight. On my 650L I just dump 2 quarts in it, call it happiness and change it often otherwise it dominates my thought patterns and I want to stab myself in the eye with a dull pencil.

• Purcell69

Posted March 29, 2008 - 02:01 PM

On my 650L I just dump 2 quarts in it, call it happiness and change it often otherwise it dominates my thought patterns and I want to stab myself in the eye with a dull pencil.

LMAO!!!:prof:

-Joe

• AaronBrown

Posted March 29, 2008 - 02:15 PM

The dry sump big XR's (600R, 650L, 650R) continue to be a mystery wrapped in a riddle. I, to this day, can't get the level straight. On my 650L I just dump 2 quarts in it, call it happiness and change it often otherwise it dominates my thought patterns and I want to stab myself in the eye with a dull pencil.

I do the same.

• Kenzo

Posted March 29, 2008 - 02:49 PM

HAHAHAhahahaaa...

yup...two quarts equals about an inch below the full mark...and mine seems to stay there...bike level or leaning, running, warmed up or cold...

i got an idea for u husky123...wut about checking the crankcase oil level???

...the manual states "If the oil level is correct on the dipstick but the crankcase oil level is incorrect, some part of the oil system is not operating properly. Do not operate the bike until the problem is found and fixed.

Bwaahahahaaaa...:prof:

• husky123

Posted March 29, 2008 - 03:59 PM

...the manual states "If the oil level is correct on the dipstick but the crankcase oil level is incorrect, some part of the oil system is not operating properly. Do not operate the bike until the problem is found and fixed.

Where's my pencil...:bonk:

• Old Dog

Posted March 29, 2008 - 04:21 PM

I always put 3 quarts in mine when doing a filter and oil change. I've never had blowback through the vent tube, nor any other problems related to overfilling. :prof:

• redrider650

Posted March 29, 2008 - 04:25 PM

I always put 3 quarts in mine when doing a filter and oil change. I've never had blowback through the vent tube, nor any other problems related to overfilling. :prof:

Diddo I always go with three quarts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bibleman

Posted March 29, 2008 - 04:37 PM

Aha! So it's not just me.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:37 PM

HAHAHAhahahaaa...

yup...two quarts equals about an inch below the full mark...and mine seems to stay there...bike level or leaning, running, warmed up or cold...

i got an idea for u husky123...wut about checking the crankcase oil level???

You check the crankcase oil level with the lower sight plug, this tells you if the scavenging pump is keeping the lower sump oil level at the right height or not.

Dave

• Huffa 2

Posted March 29, 2008 - 07:20 PM

:prof: I hope on the 09 XR700L it's a wet sump motor .

• Kenzo

Posted March 29, 2008 - 07:28 PM

Diddo I always go with three quarts.

...no way wud i put three quarts in a bike rated for a tad over two (maybe 2 1/2)...i wud bet a dollar against a dounut ur crankcase is overfilled...pull ur crankcase plug after warming the bike up and at least a half of a quart will pour out...

...not once have i read about overfilling a xr600 xr650l or a xr650r as being a recommended practice.

...but i have been wrong before...at least once :bonk:

...:prof:

• Old Dog

Posted March 29, 2008 - 07:43 PM

...no way wud i put three quarts in a bike rated for a tad over two (maybe 2 1/2)...i wud bet a dollar against a dounut ur crankcase is overfilled...pull ur crankcase plug after warming the bike up and at least a half of a quart will pour out...

...not once have i read about overfilling a xr600 xr650l or a xr650r as being a recommended practice.

...but i have been wrong before...at least once ;)

...:bonk:

As I've already stated, I've run my bike with three quarts in it since new in '06 and never had a problem with overfilling issues. When I was running the stock carb with the pollution crap on and all the vent hoses in the stock positions I had no blowback into the airbox, nor anywhere else. When I removed the stock carb and installed my Pumper and gave the crankcase it's own line and breather, I still don't get any blowback.

The frame on the 650L acts like an oil tank/reservoir, being a reservoir it holds the oil that isn't needed in the crank. As long as you don't go above it's capacity (which seems to be over 3 quarts) you won't have any overfill issues.

Seriously, I really don't care to argue the point. I know how much oil I put in my bike, and I know I have no overfilling issues with it. If you want to only run 2 quarts in yours, knock yourself out, it's no skin off my azz. :prof: :confused:

• Denn10

Posted March 29, 2008 - 07:45 PM

2 1/2 to 2 3/4 for mine. i think it depends on how well you drain it. i do mine a little warm, nothings too hot to touch but warm oil. i take the filter out and wipe all excess out, push the e start for about 1 second (i know i know you all wanna flame me for that!!all the moving parts are lubricated and 1 second doesnt wear anything out!!) and let is sit on the stand for about 15mins to let er all drain out.

• Huffa 2

Posted March 29, 2008 - 07:51 PM

My 83 Xl 600 was the same way with having this oil level checking delema and it makes me wonder, if the net was back in 83, would we still be arguring this now, :prof: 25 years later or you think Honda would have listened to us by now and redesigned the system so it's always accurate?

BTW......I'm a 2&3/4 qt guy.

Was there ever a poll done on this, referring to the quanity, I think that would be interesting, what do you all think it would average out to, 2&1/2 ?

• Bibleman

Posted March 30, 2008 - 03:38 AM

When I changed mine yesterday it only had 300 miles on the oil (winter) and I tried to measure how much came out since I had put 2 3/4 quarts in last time. I say "tried" to measure it because I tried to catch it in quart bottles:crazy: and ended up with a bunch of it on my front tire:eek: and garage floor. Nonetheless, I had two plastic quart oil bottles filled to the tipity top and a bunch of cardboard and paper towels pretty well soaked. So I'd say I had close to what I started with (definitely more than two quarts) - ie, little to none blowing out anywhere. Plus I've never seen any smoking or oil in the airbox.

Nonetheless, as someone mentioned, it couldn't hurt to check the crankcase level which is what I'm going to do after church today. I'll report back. Maybe some others with the higher figures will do the same. Not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, I'm just curious as I know some of you are.:prof:

• redrider650

Posted March 30, 2008 - 03:53 AM

:bonk: I hope on the 09 XR700L it's a wet sump motor .

I take it you believe Honda's gonna make a shinny new dualsport with that new quad motor? :prof:

• husky123

Posted March 30, 2008 - 04:47 AM

Martinfan,

Start up an oil quantity poll! That'd be cool.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.