What Should I Oil My 95 Xr600r Chain With?

7 replies to this topic
  • FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted March 29, 2008 - 06:34 AM

How often and with what should i oil my brand new chain with on my 1995 XR600R?

• asf

Posted March 29, 2008 - 08:07 AM

I clean it first with motul chain cleaner, then take a second pass with WD40, then lube it with tranny fluid. If it looks dirty, I clean it and re oil it. Only takes about 5 minutes to do.

Waxes are nice if you ride through pools of water but they can trap mud and grit inside. They are much harder to clean too. Sort of a personal preference thing.

• Purcell69

Posted March 29, 2008 - 02:09 PM

The factory o-ring chain on my old Suzuki DR had 14,000+ miles on it when I sold the bike. At first I used a PJ-1 type lube, but that sticky stuff got messy after a while. The owner's manual spec'd 20w50. I used that ever since with no problems. Ride the bike a while, come in, lube the chain and wipe off the excess. I'm doing the same thing with my XRL now, usually about every 600 miles unless it starts looking dry.

-Joe

• Huffa 2

Posted March 29, 2008 - 08:38 PM

I swear the Honda chain lube and Belray Super Clean is the best you can get !

The Honda goes on clear and Belray like a white/grey color, both don't attract dirt at all.

The Belray wax I got by mistake once, didn't even spray 25% of the chain before I said NO WAY, that stuff is way too sticky and I'll bet with dirt on it would turn into a gummed up mess and the dirt :prof: would be like epoxy to get off! I would not give that stuff away except to the trash can.

I just learned the Honda is no longer made under there name and this product is the same stuff but I myself have never used it .......

http://www.motoclick...268-0-4186.html

http://www.belray.co...t.fsp?pid=13616

How often depends on if it's a oring or not and how often you get it muddy or like mentioned above, if it just starts to look dry and if you can hear it dry, well then you waited too long!

If my chain gets really muddy (not talking my 650 here) I clean it 1st with hot soapy water, then wipe excess water off, spray with D40, wipe that down good getting all excess off, then spray it with a "real" chain lube.

Some just use D40 and have good results, I feel a chain lube has more chemical agents in it to help cushion the chain and don't think it will come off as easily as d40 would.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 30, 2008 - 12:31 AM

It all depends on the chain type, and if it is 'pre-lubed'.

I use an 'x' ring chain, and I never lube it, I just displace the water from washing with WD-40 (the WD stands for water displacement; it is not a 'thrust bearing' lubricant).
I believe that most lubricants just attract dirt.

• Huffa 2

Posted March 30, 2008 - 03:57 AM

I use an 'x' ring chain, and I never lube it, I just displace the water from washing with WD-40 (the WD stands for water displacement; it is not a 'thrust bearing' lubricant).

Well you never used the Honda or Belray then but you did say "most", that I understand.

X, O, U, regular chain whatever ....... they STILL need a lubricant that sets up between the sprocket teeth and chain! It's metal to metal contact, it's going to wear quicker, both parts, if you don't use lube.

There are lots of you "never lube the chain" guys out there, I just don't understand your logic on that at all ?

Smaller items need lube that have metal to metal contact and don't heat up at all, why wouldn't a chain then ?

• Motosprtman

Posted March 30, 2008 - 08:05 AM

I have been using the HONDA chain lube, it goes on dry lookin and does not fling anmd make a mess. I use WD-40 after a wash then the HONDA lube. Back in the day before O ring chains used 80-90 gear lube on chains. Chain lube preference is like oil preference, bottom line is that you do clean and lubricate it, with something made for motorcycle chains or 20-50W oil. I have not used the gear oil for a long long time, but it works too.

• creeky

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:34 AM

This is my method also. I was riding the Six Days of Michigan in 1985, new '85 XR350R. After the third day, sprockets and chain were toast (they were only about half when I started). The late Al Baker was on the ride and had a truck full of XR stuff along with tires, tubes, chains, sprockets, etc. He looked at my chain and sprockets and told me straight out that I was making a mistake by slathering chain lube all over them. He correctly pointed out that the sand and crud was sticking to the lube and making a self-destructing grinder out of the whole thing. He told me what Krannie says, clean the chain after riding, spray it down with WD-40 or similar and forget it. I've been doing this since with great results. Baker also told me to use a steel rear sprocket to lengthen the life of the chain/sprockets, he was right about that too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.