07 YZ450F suspension

8 replies to this topic
  • Jonny Quest

Posted March 29, 2008 - 01:37 AM

I've decided on an 07 YZ450F (used), suspension-wise is stock going to be ok or will i need stiffer springs?

I'm 195 (dry-NO CLOTHES:eek: ), average C rider, strictly motocross.

Currently i have an 07 KTM 450sxf, with .48 springs by Factory Connection, and it's perfect... For that bike :prof:

Just not sure how much work or $$ i'll have to put into the YZF's stock suspension

• Chevelle70SS

Posted March 29, 2008 - 03:59 AM

I would sugggest setting the sag and ride. Your wieght is about right for the stock spring rates. KTM makes a real nice bike but when it comes to suspension they are a little behind in that department. Yamaha stock stuff is really good, it might suprise you. Get use to what it has and judge from there. You can check spring rates for your weight vs stock at Racetech.com.

• wheeldude

Posted March 29, 2008 - 11:38 AM

I weigh in at 225 and ride an 07 YZ450F. The stock suspension was soft for me, but not to the point of being unridable. That said, the spring rates should be pretty close for your weight and ability. WD

• Jonny Quest

Posted March 29, 2008 - 12:04 PM

Really, all i'm concerned with is bottoming. A few G-outs really weakend my ankles, and with my skill level i'll sometimes case a jump, come up short on a bigger table-top, or slightly over shoot one.

My KTM has .48 springs in now, and it's pretty good. What's stock in the 07 YZF?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wheeldude

Posted March 29, 2008 - 02:04 PM

I believe .47's are stock on the 07. We went to .48's front and a 5.6 rear with complete Pro Action valving. What a difference.!!!!!WD

• Family Man

Posted March 29, 2008 - 02:27 PM

I put a 5.8 Factory connection on the rear with the stock clicker settings and left the fork springs alone but set the compression clickers at 6 clicks from all the way in. I used to bottom the stock rear spring all the time, this setup feels great for me. Im about 195-205 lbs.

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 29, 2008 - 04:15 PM

this is what enzo reccomended for me. .48 in the front stock in the rear.. with a revalve. i weigh around 205. c rider..

by the way i still have not sent my stuff off yet as im not sold that i need a revlave.. i love the way my stock stuff feels.. two clicks up front.. stock settings for the rear and im happy.. not bottoming out except on the big stuff.

• mx614

Posted March 29, 2008 - 05:21 PM

I have a 2007 yz450 and I'm 6'4" 200lbs B rider and its way way way too soft from the factory. Needed 2 steps stiffer on forks and all the way to 5.9 on the rear,now I can actually go past half throttle. Its revalved from race tech and much better now. Stock feels more like an enduro feel or a womens setup. Doug dubach says its actually set up for a 165lb novice rider from the factory. Hope this helps

• mikedabike

Posted March 29, 2008 - 06:56 PM

I would try it out with the stock stuff, it is really nice. The stock springrate is ballpark for you depending on how aggressive you are. I had an 04 with stiffer springs with valving done and the 07 is still way better even with the stock springs and I weigh 235 wihout gear.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.