Rattling Forks Question.....

4 replies to this topic
  • Dodger

Posted November 08, 2002 - 05:47 AM

Just a quick question.....my roomate, who's also a service tech at the local shop, just replace my fork oil and seals. When the forks are stood up, in the fashion they are installed, and I shake 'em back and forth, there is a slight rattling sound?!?! Is this normal, and if so, what is it that slightly rattles back and forth. If it's not normal, what could be the cause.

BTW, the forks seem to work just peachy...........just curious.

Peace

Dodger :) :D

• David_W

Posted November 08, 2002 - 06:08 AM

If you aren't careful when re-fitting the top cap to the damper rod (tightening the locknut), the damper rod can come undone in the bottom of the forks. When you put the forks back on, you can feel a slight movement back and forward as though the head bearings are loose. :) I'd check If I were you.

I had this happen to me, and found out just before an MX moto! :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigDesto

Posted November 08, 2002 - 06:51 AM

I think it could be your springs if your shaken them back n forth.
I know the floating front disc makes a clicking noise when you hit the front brake.

• Dodger

Posted November 08, 2002 - 07:47 AM

K, so Eric says it's the springs too........

I'm cool with that........time to reinstall.

Thanks guys....

Dodger :) :D

• blue_beast_wins

Posted November 08, 2002 - 09:43 AM

Bit of reassurance now i suppose, Its the springs!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.